Appleton North Mat Madness

Started by SC, January 17, 2018, 08:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SC

The Appleton North Youth Wrestling Tournament - Great warm-up for Kids Folkstyle Regionals

- March 4, 2018
- All WIAA referee's
- 8 man bracket whenever possible - wrestle to 7/8 place
- 1/2 and full mats only - no 1/4 mats
- No breaks - wrestling will start at 9:00 AM, we were done by 1:30 last year
- Register via Track Wrestling - brackets will be posted the Saturday night before the tournament
- If you would like to register as a team - please let me know (cloughscott@aasd.k12.wi.us) and I will take wrestler lists and get them entered

Please check out the tournament listing on this site for more information or go to the link below to register on Track:
http://www.trackwrestling.com/registration/BasicPreReg1.jsp?tournamentGroupId=19634132&TIM=1516199940157&twSessionId=emgodpgvtiigdok

SC

Just one week away from the 6th annual Appleton North Mat Madness. 

Please check out the tournament listing on this site for more information or go to the link below to register on Track:
http://www.trackwrestling.com/registration/BasicPreReg1.jsp?tournamentGroupId=19634132&TIM=1519601438257&twSessionId=zfpvzewwottzwex

readywrestle

A really well run tournament. 500+ wrestlers. I like the 8 man bracket format for most brackets. Bracketing is never perfect, but there were some loaded brackets providing competitive matches for all. Hats off to the Appleton North wrestling staff, and the parent and wrestling team volunteers. We'll be back !

GradeTough

There were a lot of kids there and some great competition. I could see this growing to a high-level tournament with a few changes. I loved they have had plenty of mats. Hopefully, next year they might consider breaking into two sessions so it can end earlier.

readywrestle

Good suggestion GradeTough. I've seen a few youth tourneys go to that format.

GradeTough

Quote from: readywrestle on March 09, 2018, 12:30:32 PM
Good suggestion GradeTough. I've seen a few youth tourneys go to that format.
If you are open to a few other suggestions here you go:
1. Consider releasing a matrix and wrestler list prior to the start of the tournament. Similar to how Dominate in the Dells and the Midwest Tour Tournament do it. Great kids like to chase other kids so seeing who is registered can help draw competition.

2. Kids love cool trophies, especially big ones. For whatever reason belts are the "in" thing. Continue to evolve the trophy and consider using the trophy to promote the tournament

3. As stated before, consider a two-session format where younger kids wrestle in the morning and older kids (junior high) are in the second session. With the number of mats you guys have, sessions would end quickly.

4. Use the next available mat feature to speed up completion of brackets.

5. This might be related more to TrackWrestling and their software but parents repeatedly complain that small brackets (2 or 3 man) take as long as an 8 man bracket to complete. If possible, figure out a way to get those done quickly. Heck, most parents and the kids would welcome wrestling every 15-25 minutes for small brackets just to be able to be in and out.

Great tournament features:
1. The tournament started on time @ 9:00 am. Excellent!

2. Loved that Crossface was there doing their thing. I saw a lot of folks getting custom headgear. We actually thanked them for a custom singlet they created for us a year ago. If possible, add other vendors like Defense Soap or LDR headgear.

3. Great that the area around the mats was roped off. This helped to provide space for kids to warm up and reduce traffic near the mats. Refs enforced that only two individuals could be in the corner. Continue to extend the rule to the first row bleachers and standing traffic. I know it is hard but over time hopefully, folks will respect the space so others sitting can view the matches. We know folks won't so policing this will always be necessary.

4. A heard a lot of folks commenting on how they enjoyed music playing over the speakers during the tournament.

Hope this was helpful.

readywrestle

I too enjoyed the music in the background. Having the mats roped off did minimize the spectator traffic mat side. A few adults would stand mat side and block the view of fans sitting in the bleachers (where most adults were to be watching). Overall - well organized, good competition, fan friendly.