Pulling Spencer Lee’s Redshirt?

Started by leg turk, January 06, 2018, 11:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Quote from: Razor Ramon on January 09, 2018, 03:50:22 PM
Quote from: bigG on January 09, 2018, 10:14:24 AM
Quote from: Razor Ramon on January 09, 2018, 08:58:32 AM
The only reason a bluechip recruit gets his redshirt status pulled is because his coach thinks he can win a national championship. There is no grey area on this. In Spencer Lee's case he will be a true contender at the NCAA's, just as the Penn State coaches thought Mark Hall was going to be last year.

In the last 5 years we have started to see some "Once in a lifetime type wrestlers" come out of the US. Snyder, Hall, Lee, and Fix are just the beginning. When coaches are able to land these types of wrestlers, and only have a average option at best in that spot, they will call them up.

I'll be nice about this, Razor. No grey area? I'd beg to differ. Ooooodles of examples exist of pulling the RS to help the team out. No chance of a national title, the team had an injury and needed the RS to step up. Other reasons exist beyond the "you got a shot to win the big one, kid."

We have seen some amazing athletes do just as you said. Superstars. Many other redshirts get pulled for reasons other than the hopes, and realistic potential of winning, a national championship.

Reminds me of the student who protects their A's to the point of risking missing out on growth because the grades are more important than the growth. Seems to be a philosophical position that, sooner or later, bites the believer in the tail.

I'll be even nicer, bigG. I was referring to BLUECHIPS that get their RS pulled. You are referring to the countless number of mid-level wrestlers that get put in the lineup. Not even close to the same thing. Stay on topic.

So, what is your criteria for distinguishing between a Blue Chip and mid level?  No grey area, eh?
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Razor Ramon

Quote from: bigG on January 11, 2018, 08:37:49 AM
Quote from: Razor Ramon on January 09, 2018, 03:50:22 PM
Quote from: bigG on January 09, 2018, 10:14:24 AM
Quote from: Razor Ramon on January 09, 2018, 08:58:32 AM
The only reason a bluechip recruit gets his redshirt status pulled is because his coach thinks he can win a national championship. There is no grey area on this. In Spencer Lee's case he will be a true contender at the NCAA's, just as the Penn State coaches thought Mark Hall was going to be last year.

In the last 5 years we have started to see some "Once in a lifetime type wrestlers" come out of the US. Snyder, Hall, Lee, and Fix are just the beginning. When coaches are able to land these types of wrestlers, and only have a average option at best in that spot, they will call them up.

I'll be nice about this, Razor. No grey area? I'd beg to differ. Ooooodles of examples exist of pulling the RS to help the team out. No chance of a national title, the team had an injury and needed the RS to step up. Other reasons exist beyond the "you got a shot to win the big one, kid."

We have seen some amazing athletes do just as you said. Superstars. Many other redshirts get pulled for reasons other than the hopes, and realistic potential of winning, a national championship.

Reminds me of the student who protects their A's to the point of risking missing out on growth because the grades are more important than the growth. Seems to be a philosophical position that, sooner or later, bites the believer in the tail.

I'll be even nicer, bigG. I was referring to BLUECHIPS that get their RS pulled. You are referring to the countless number of mid-level wrestlers that get put in the lineup. Not even close to the same thing. Stay on topic.

So, what is your criteria for distinguishing between a Blue Chip and mid level?  No grey area, eh?

bigG did you actually read what I posted? I specifically said there was no grey area when it came to pulling a redshirt because the coach thinks he can win a national title. I wasn't talking about a grey area on what separates a bluechip from a mid-level wrestler. The last time UW had a scenario to where if they could pulled the redshirt option because they believed that wrestler could win a national title was Andrew Howe.

What does distinguish a bluechip from just another wrestler is the level of commitment (scholarship) that the top programs are willing to make to that athlete at the time of recruiting. Spencer Lee, Mark Hall, and even Myles Martin were guys who were recruited by every top program, not just a couple of big name schools here and there.

bigG

Yes, I read it. Even with blue chips, there will be grey area. They've been pulled for more than just the hopes of a an NCAA champion. They get pulled to help the team, sometimes delayed in the hopes of an Oly redshirt, later.

Howe wasn't recruited by every top program. Far from it. So, you'll call a guy like that a Blue Chip because the RS was pulled? Howe became a blue chipper.

I'll just ask this because I don't know the answer; but is JJ on a full ride?

mkm13

I believe when JJ committed it was said he was getting 70%.

Ivan Stankowski

70% of what??? That is a game recruiters like to play, be very careful of that!! 70% can mean many things

bigG

Yeah, that could be the root of some colorful salesmanship.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

GradeTough

National contention isn't happening this year. Maybe the article was a couple years to premature.

bigG

Sounds like wishful thinking, there. Still, the coaches want the best team they can field.

bkraus

He just beat the defending national champion.  Hard to argue that pulling his redshirt was not a good thing.
Strive for Perfection

Dale Einerson

Quote from: Jimmy on January 07, 2018, 06:49:47 PM
A males physical peak may indeed be 28 .with the amount of matches wrestled in a yr. now days I believe the physical wear and tare has brought a wrestlers peak down from that

Wonder if a former collegiate wrestler would say the weight cut and match is tougher than a practice?  Maybe it is a fine hair I am splitting as to have the matches you have the practices, yet, I wonder if most collegiate wrestlers wouldn't say that practices are harder on a body than that 7 minutes...

leg turk

bigG

Sure did. But, I'd worry about an Imar or Mongoose future a bit. 4-timer is a huge burden, if it comes to that. Still, I think we're all pretty wowed by Lee's mojo. Most of us were pretty high on the Mongoose during his frosh year, too.

imnofish

Coaches have time to study and make adjustments, over 4 years of chasing the top talent.  Two years ago, how many envisioned Snyder getting beaten by anyone, or repeatedly being taken into overtime?  No matter how talented a wrestler is, he does not compete in a vacuum. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Yeah. I wasn't trying to imply Imar or Mongoose degraded; rather the competition came up to their level.