Pulling Spencer Lee’s Redshirt?

Started by leg turk, January 06, 2018, 11:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrastle63

Quote from: Barou on January 09, 2018, 12:16:01 PM
Quote from: bigG on January 09, 2018, 10:14:24 AM
Quote from: Razor Ramon on January 09, 2018, 08:58:32 AM
The only reason a bluechip recruit gets his redshirt status pulled is because his coach thinks he can win a national championship. There is no grey area on this. In Spencer Lee's case he will be a true contender at the NCAA's, just as the Penn State coaches thought Mark Hall was going to be last year.

In the last 5 years we have started to see some "Once in a lifetime type wrestlers" come out of the US. Snyder, Hall, Lee, and Fix are just the beginning. When coaches are able to land these types of wrestlers, and only have a average option at best in that spot, they will call them up.

I'll be nice about this, Razor. No grey area? I'd beg to differ. Ooooodles of examples exist of pulling the RS to help the team out. No chance of a national title, the team had an injury and needed the RS to step up. Other reasons exist beyond the "you got a shot to win the big one, kid."

We have seen some amazing athletes do just as you said. Superstars. Many other redshirts get pulled for reasons other than the hopes, and realistic potential of winning, a national championship.

Reminds me of the student who protects their A's to the point of risking missing out on growth because the grades are more important than the growth. Seems to be a philosophical position that, sooner or later, bites the believer in the tail.

Did Barry pull Jimenez's red-shirt his freshman year thinking national title?
Perfect example. They pulled it because it would make the team better and it did.

Barou

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 09, 2018, 12:35:53 PM
The only reason a bluechip recruit gets his redshirt status pulled is because his coach thinks he can win a national championship. There is no grey area on this. In Spencer Lee's case he will be a true contender at the NCAA's, just as the Penn State coaches thought Mark Hall was going to be last year.

In the last 5 years we have started to see some "Once in a lifetime type wrestlers" come out of the US. Snyder, Hall, Lee, and Fix are just the beginning. When coaches are able to land these types of wrestlers, and only have a average option at best in that spot, they will call them up.

I'll be nice about this, Razor. No grey area? I'd beg to differ. Ooooodles of examples exist of pulling the RS to help the team out. No chance of a national title, the team had an injury and needed the RS to step up. Other reasons exist beyond the "you got a shot to win the big one, kid."

We have seen some amazing athletes do just as you said. Superstars. Many other redshirts get pulled for reasons other than the hopes, and realistic potential of winning, a national championship.

Reminds me of the student who protects their A's to the point of risking missing out on growth because the grades are more important than the growth. Seems to be a philosophical position that, sooner or later, bites the believer in the tail.

Perfect example. They pulled it because it would make the team better and it did.

Not for nationals.
JHI Mafia

wrastle63

Quote from: Barou on January 09, 2018, 01:07:24 PM

Not for nationals.
Yea he did really bad....he lost to Tomasello 7-2 and to Lambert 4-0. Tomasello won the bracket and Lambert took 6th.

bigG

Every team/coach does it, though.

JJ did kind of hurt us in the end. Redshirt stripping has upsides (Snyder and Hall) and downsides. Now, if the guys is good enough, you have to think NCAAs, Olys and worlds. Nice problem.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Barou

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 09, 2018, 01:44:46 PM
Quote from: Barou on January 09, 2018, 01:07:24 PM

Not for nationals.
Yea he did really bad....he lost to Tomasello 7-2 and to Lambert 4-0. Tomasello won the bracket and Lambert took 6th.

Seriously, that's what you got out of that?  Who said he did "really bad" at the Big Ten tournament?  Some might think pulling a RS off a true Freshman would make sense if you had a sure fire qualifier.  Do you think pulling JJ's RS late in the season was a good idea?  He finished 5 - 9. 
JHI Mafia

bigG

I get the logic; but (with the bennie of hindshit) think it turned out not-as-good.
Losing to Tomasello 7-2 almost sounds apologetic. Tomasello was/is many miles ahead of JJ.

JJ didn't do really bad. Didn't really kick tail, either. Kind of tepid... for a threat to win his weight in the NCAAs.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Razor Ramon

I'll be even nicer, bigG. I was referring to BLUECHIPS that get their RS pulled. You are referring to the countless number of mid-level wrestlers that get put in the lineup. Not even close to the same thing. Stay on topic.

Ghetto

Johnny Jimenez' RS should never have been pulled.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

billymurphy

Jimenez was never going to be an All American (at least not at Wisconsin).

In hindsight, pulling the redshirt was not the best decision.

mkm13

Quote from: Ghetto on January 09, 2018, 09:30:24 PM

Why?  To give him the 5th year so he can go from a low end qualifier in year 4 to an AA candidate in his last year?  How many guys do that?   Does he want to be in school for 5 years?

Ivan Stankowski

If he graduates from the UW in 4 years while wrestling all 4 years that would some accomplishment in itself

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: mkm13 on January 10, 2018, 10:49:41 AM

Why?  To give him the 5th year so he can go from a low end qualifier in year 4 to an AA candidate in his last year?  How many guys do that?   Does he want to be in school for 5 years?

Ron Jeidy was a National Champ as a 5th Year Senior.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Jimmy

Jesse Witmer was a 5 th yr. sr. national champ having been second string the three yrs prior

leg turk

If he doesn't win a national championship this year, many will say he should have redshirted.

Ghetto

Quote from: mkm13 on January 10, 2018, 10:49:41 AM

It was pulled for no good reason that I know of, at a time where he couldn't be successful in that season.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove