Pulling Spencer Lee’s Redshirt?

Started by leg turk, January 06, 2018, 11:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

Right decision?

Wouldn't he get more out of learning in a college wrestling room for a year, get stronger, more knowledge?  Its not like its going to win them a National championship even if he wins the whole thing.

Ghetto

But he personally is in the mix for his own title.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

mkm13

I think it is good that he is not redshirting.  He is ready to compete for a title now.  There are only 9.9 scholarships, and I would assume he is getting close to a full scholarship.  If he can compete for a title now, why have the scholarship doing nothing? 

I think there are 5 to 10 kids a year that fall into this category.  Would be great if UW could get one at some point.

The bigger question I think would be why bring in someone like Downey with his history?  I think brands was feeling a little pressure, considering the high expectations at Iowa.  If Lee redshirted and they did not bring in Downey, a 6th to 10h place finish would have been pretty likely.

Jimmy

Great point jw, a body can only handle so many matches. Who knows how many lee has already had.He has had some health issues already and battling Gilman,Clark ,.McDonough ,Tom and terry on a daily basis is not gonna extend his career.

fightfightfight

It may have to do with the fact that he may likely take an Olympic redshirt for 2020 anyways.

leg turk

Hmmm, I thought I read somewhere that wrestlers body's peak at age 28.  How old is Burroughs and Taylor already?  You think they are over the hill already?

Jimmy

A males physical peak may indeed be 28 .with the amount of matches wrestled in a yr. now days I believe the physical wear and tare has brought a wrestlers peak down from that

imnofish

Quote from: Jimmy on January 07, 2018, 06:49:47 PM
A males physical peak may indeed be 28 .with the amount of matches wrestled in a yr. now days I believe the physical wear and tare has brought a wrestlers peak down from that

Great point.  Lots of wear and tear... 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Barou

Quote from: fightfightfight on January 07, 2018, 12:36:58 PM
It may have to do with the fact that he may likely take an Olympic redshirt for 2020 anyways.

Curious why you think that would matter?  He can take both a regular RS and an Olympic RS if he wanted to.
JHI Mafia

wrastle63

With his injury history it is a smart choice not to take it. If he blows out his knee again part way through a season then he has his redshirt available.

leg turk

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 08, 2018, 09:49:37 AM
With his injury history it is a smart choice not to take it. If he blows out his knee again part way through a season then he has his redshirt available.

Wouldn't that fall under the Medical redshirt area?

Razor Ramon

The only reason a bluechip recruit gets his redshirt status pulled is because his coach thinks he can win a national championship. There is no grey area on this. In Spencer Lee's case he will be a true contender at the NCAA's, just as the Penn State coaches thought Mark Hall was going to be last year.

In the last 5 years we have started to see some "Once in a lifetime type wrestlers" come out of the US. Snyder, Hall, Lee, and Fix are just the beginning. When coaches are able to land these types of wrestlers, and only have a average option at best in that spot, they will call them up.

MNbadger

You make hay when the sun shines.  No reason to red shirt when you can compete.  You never know what will happen.  Dustin Schlatter won it as a freshman and did not do as well after that.  There sre other examples.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

bigG

Quote from: Razor Ramon on January 09, 2018, 08:58:32 AM
The only reason a bluechip recruit gets his redshirt status pulled is because his coach thinks he can win a national championship. There is no grey area on this. In Spencer Lee's case he will be a true contender at the NCAA's, just as the Penn State coaches thought Mark Hall was going to be last year.

In the last 5 years we have started to see some "Once in a lifetime type wrestlers" come out of the US. Snyder, Hall, Lee, and Fix are just the beginning. When coaches are able to land these types of wrestlers, and only have a average option at best in that spot, they will call them up.

I'll be nice about this, Razor. No grey area? I'd beg to differ. Ooooodles of examples exist of pulling the RS to help the team out. No chance of a national title, the team had an injury and needed the RS to step up. Other reasons exist beyond the "you got a shot to win the big one, kid."

We have seen some amazing athletes do just as you said. Superstars. Many other redshirts get pulled for reasons other than the hopes, and realistic potential of winning, a national championship.

Reminds me of the student who protects their A's to the point of risking missing out on growth because the grades are more important than the growth. Seems to be a philosophical position that, sooner or later, bites the believer in the tail.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Barou

Quote from: bigG on January 09, 2018, 10:14:24 AM
Quote from: Razor Ramon on January 09, 2018, 08:58:32 AM

I'll be nice about this, Razor. No grey area? I'd beg to differ. Ooooodles of examples exist of pulling the RS to help the team out. No chance of a national title, the team had an injury and needed the RS to step up. Other reasons exist beyond the "you got a shot to win the big one, kid."

We have seen some amazing athletes do just as you said. Superstars. Many other redshirts get pulled for reasons other than the hopes, and realistic potential of winning, a national championship.

Reminds me of the student who protects their A's to the point of risking missing out on growth because the grades are more important than the growth. Seems to be a philosophical position that, sooner or later, bites the believer in the tail.

Did Barry pull Jimenez's red-shirt his freshman year thinking national title?
JHI Mafia