Individual High School Rankings

Started by wwfan, December 18, 2017, 02:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwfan

Kudos for those kids that have been listed on Divisions 1, 2 & 3.  But I have a question specifically on 182 Division 1 and how that list was created/updated.  There is a wrestler that is ranked that isn't even on that school's roster and have heard through the grapevine isn't even wrestling this year. 
182 Pound Class               
   New    Old   Wrestler   School   17/18 Grade
   1   1   Jared Krattiger   Waterford   12
   2   2   Bryson Alsteen   Kaukauna   11
  3   3   Jake Belongia   New Berlin West/Eisenhower   12

Belongia is not listed on the roster for New Berlin's co-op Team, I'm wondering how #4 and the rest of the 182 lb guys are feeling right now being ranked below a kid that isn't even wrestling!

CoachZ

" So cross him off then"
Rachel Phelps, Clevend Indians Owner

BSwagger

I have not followed the early season rankings closely in the past but I would just say I look but don't get too interested in them this time of the year. I have also noticed that there are several wrestlers ranked in a weight class they wrestled in last year but several of them are one or two weight classes heavier than where they are ranked. I assume this gets sorted out as the season goes.

bronco

It's dirty laundry guys...dirty going in but comes clean(er) in the end.

TomM

Quote from: wwfan on December 18, 2017, 02:21:02 PM
Kudos for those kids that have been listed on Divisions 1, 2 & 3.  But I have a question specifically on 182 Division 1 and how that list was created/updated.  There is a wrestler that is ranked that isn't even on that school's roster and have heard through the grapevine isn't even wrestling this year.  
182 Pound Class              
  New    Old   Wrestler   School   17/18 Grade
  1   1   Jared Krattiger   Waterford   12
  2   2   Bryson Alsteen   Kaukauna   11
 3   3   Jake Belongia   New Berlin West/Eisenhower   12
Belongia is not listed on the roster for New Berlin's co-op Team, I'm wondering how #4 and the rest of the 182 lb guys are feeling right now being ranked below a kid that isn't even wrestling!
:)
Hi WWFan,
Thanks for the heads up. We're just over two weeks into the 17-18 season. It's sort of like herding cats getting all the most recent data on who is out and who is not and who is hurt and who just hasn't skin folded yet. The ranking committee does their best on all weights. There are over 700 wrestlers ranked at this time. Sometimes finding every single kids 'availability' is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Thanks for finding one.
I am looking for some additional assistance with ranking as we need a extra person or two.
It takes a great passion for Wisconsin High School wrestling, long hours searching for and pouring over results and suggestions and other data including many things.
Anyone interested, including WWFan, please write to me at trm@wiwrestling.com . Be sure to include your name, phone number, some wrestling background info and send us an example of the ranking you would do on one of the three divisions for all 14 weight classes, in just one division. Doing a good job on all three would take a person days.
Looking forward to hearing from all those interested.
Thanks,
Tom
trm@wiwrestlinng.com
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

wwfan

Your most welcome Tom!  I realize that it take countless hours to keep all 14 weight classes for all three divisions up to date, but my initial question was how are these lists created for the 2017-2018 season?  Just take last years rankings after state tournament and eliminate all the kids that graduated?  I stumbled upon this when looking at the roster on Track and noticed a few New Berlin wrestlers haven't been skin folded yet.
Initially I wouldn't worry about the 700 wrestlers, just the kids listed 1-12 at all 14 weight classes for all 3 divisions (504 in total) for your first week of Individual Rankings. Take last year's list import it into Excel and sort it by school. Get a few buddies (bribe them with beer and food) to take a grouping of schools each, and bring up the roster list on Track to see if they are even on the roster or skin fold tested yet. If they are not active on the roster, they don't make week 1 ranking list. 

Thank you Tom for the offer, I may reconsider it after my boys graduate from high school in a couple of years when my winter weekends are freed up!  ;D