Cool places U bin

Started by bigG, December 07, 2017, 09:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

I've been fortunate to see a number of interesting things over the years. One I always wanted to return to Was Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP. Nothing to prepare you for the size of those trees. What got me was the smell. Even better than cedar.

Where U bin that was cool?
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bkraus

Way too many to really list.  There are cool things everywhere for multiple reasons...

Japan was purely amazing for their culture and history
Dubai for the melting pot of westernization meeting middle east culture
Frankfurt for my familial history
Naples, being in Italy was just amazing
The olive tree fields of rural Greece was cool
I'll never forget the crystal clear color of the Indian Ocean
Seeing the magical look on my kids faces when they entered the Magic Kingdom at Disney World
Torrey Pines park in San Diego

I could go on and on....
Strive for Perfection

bigG

I hear you. I also never get tired of coming home. I live the nicest place on earth for my way of doing things.

littleguy301

I travel most of the states as a youth on that dreaded family vacation in a car with no A/C and 2 older sisters cramping my style in the back seat!

I enjoyed the badlands, washington DC and the grand cayon. I liked San Diego but didnt care for LA and that area.
I also didnt enjoy the east coast, not my style either.

I still after all these years just enjoy heading to Madison for a weekend of wrestling. I have also been lucky to coach the past 7 years at youth state, met many cool people at both events.

I will agree, I enjoy coming home more than anything!

my wife on the other hand has gone several places around the states and internationally, I think of that as a vacation for me when she is gone  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

imnofish

Northwest Ontario, Black Hills, Rockies, San Diego/Sea World, Disney World (FLA), Wisconsin's Quiet Lakes
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

TomM

Hiking and camping in the North Cascades,  Washington State
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

ckwrestler

I lived on the olympic peninsula in WA for a few years in Port Townsend.  You can go from 300 days of sunlight at the tip of the olympic peninsula, to a glacier in the middle, the rainforest on the western side, and then over to the hood canal and beautiful lake cushman in the east and so much in between.  It's a different world.

bigG

I've never been that far northwest. Nice place to take my wife when the nest is empty. Sounds amazing.

Cuyabeno National Park in Ecuador was one that sticks with me. It's sort of one of the many places where the Amazon starts, so you see anaconda, catch and eat piranha (talk about easy fishin') bath with the piranha you didn't catch (only way to get clean), catch cayman, meet the super friendly river dolphins, get bit by leafcutter ants, watch the tarantulas on the ceiling of your palapa, eat tarantulas (almost like crab), see spider webs that are six feet across and four feet high, meet the people who live there and be changed by their simple daily drum ceremony (life changing), put away some rum with your guide (who has never worn shoes, ever), parrots flying everywhere, monkeys staring you down, toucans squawkin'. Good trip.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on June 23, 2019, 12:51:56 AM
I've never been that far northwest. Nice place to take my wife when the nest is empty. Sounds amazing.

Cuyabeno National Park in Ecuador was one that sticks with me. It's sort of one of the many places where the Amazon starts, so you see anaconda, catch and eat piranha (talk about easy fishin') bath with the piranha you didn't catch (only way to get clean), catch cayman, meet the super friendly river dolphins, get bit by leafcutter ants, watch the tarantulas on the ceiling of your palapa, eat tarantulas (almost like crab), see spider webs that are six feet across and four feet high, meet the people who live there and be changed by their simple daily drum ceremony (life changing), put away some rum with your guide (who has never worn shoes, ever), parrots flying everywhere, monkeys staring you down, toucans squawkin'. Good trip.

Sounds amazing!   8) 8) 8) 8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

I think you feel pretty blessed with every trip you take. Just going to Bayfield was absolutely what the doctor ordered. We have the nicest state. I can't take the east coast, though. I'm with Littleguy on the LA thing, too. What a pain. San Diego is interesting. Sea World was amazing when my kids were dinkers. BUT, if you drive from Seawrold, all the way to the east side of that county, it's a three hour + journey. Holy crap, what a huge county. Dry mountain after dry mountain, forever.

I never know California had state border checkpoints. When we went to Sequoia, we crossed into Cali in northern AZ. Out in the middle of nowhere, these booths. The guy came up to our car (2 kids, 2 grandparents, my bride and me) and asked "where ya coming from?" I said "Uh, Arizona?" He looked around the minivan and says "okay, head on through." What dah heck? Wish I had thought of it. I should have said "Wisconsin."

Houndhead

The Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone, Tetons. Turkey hunting in the Black Hills of Wyoming was awesome. A mountain lion hunt in the mountains of eastern Nevada stand out. Everything in the Rockies is breathtakingly beautiful. The Great Salt Desert was a strange one. 200 miles of wet sand. A horseback camping trip in the mountains of western Wyoming as a 13 year old still brings me great memories. Northern Wisconsin is still my favorite place of all. So many wonderful places to see and things to do. A day spent visiting Iron County's many waterfalls is one of my favorites. Small lakes filled with crappies and bluegills is my happy place. Not much compares to the early mornings in the spring turkey woods.

Hungus

January of 19 went to Guatemala, sailfish and tuna fishing on the Pacific
absolutely incredible experience
You're killing me Smalls!!!

bigG

Sweet. I could use a little of that action. Pacific side is very different.

bigG

Just got back from Utah last week. You could live 1,000 years and never hike all those trails. I go to Utah every two years to bring the fam and explore. Just gorge ous.

Ledger

Quote from: bigG on July 04, 2023, 04:49:18 AMJust got back from Utah last week. You could live 1,000 years and never hike all those trails. I go to Utah every two years to bring the fam and explore. Just gorge ous.
Big state.  Where would you recommend someone visits there as a first timer?