Great Season

Started by Houndhead, September 27, 2017, 07:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndhead

It has been a surprisingly successful year for the Brewers. They made it fun to watch them again. Craig Counsell makes a few head scratching moves, but for the most part he has really done a great job of fielding a winning line-up out of a roster that nobody predicted to be successful. The Nelson injury was a real bummer, he had really come into his own. Hope it doesn't alter his career path. I have been impressed that they have stayed in contention with really only Anderson and Davies as estabished starters. The rest of the rotation is a patchwork of minor leaguers. And pitching has not been their weakness.

bigG

This season was a big-time pleasant surprise. I know more people that wanted Craig gone before the first [pitch was thrown. He has had some curious decisions; but they played like a team and did their fans proud.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

They were in it until the final game. Even as a Brewer homer, I was hoping for the team being competitive at best. They played way above what their talent level would suggest. Counsel was very good. I never felt like he made the huge blunders that previous managers had made. He rested guys, played guys who were doing well, and managed the bullpen about as good as he could have.

The future seems bright. They basically lose no one, and their young guys are on the rise. Maybe they'll deal for a 4/5 starter or something, but there's no reason to do anything drastic.

Counsel could have been in the running for manager of the year, and Stearns should certainly be mentioned for GM. The Brewers are way ahead of schedule.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Houndhead

I think they need to add a middle of the rotation starter. Not sure what the future plan is for 2B & CF. I would expect Phillips and Brinson to get a shot at CF. They really need to find a legit lead off hitter also. Personally I would like to see more of Hernan Perez at 2B. I think the Brewers would like to see Villar rebound. Will Jesus Aguilar be back?

Ghetto

They have some very talented OF in the pipeline and little room for those guys. Someone will have to be dealt at some point. Brinson is a potential 30/30 guy, while Phillips has a rocket for an arm. When Braun moves on I think Santana will move to left, Phillips to right, and Brinson will be in center. That's a potential OF where they combine for 100 homers every year.

Assuming that Nelson can come back at close to his potential, he's the 1. I like Davies but I'm not sure he will hold up long term. I think Anderson is the 2, and Davies is a fine 3. If you can put a decent 4 in there, the 5 can be a hodge podge of guys. Looking at the minor league guys, there's a bunch of 4/5s. Drafting at the back of the draft isn't going to get too many 1s.

ElectricGuy

Quote from: Houndhead on September 27, 2017, 07:15:08 AM
It has been a surprisingly successful year for the Brewers. They made it fun to watch them again. Craig Counsell makes a few head scratching moves, but for the most part he has really done a great job of fielding a winning line-up out of a roster that nobody predicted to be successful. The Nelson injury was a real bummer, he had really come into his own. Hope it doesn't alter his career path. I have been impressed that they have stayed in contention with really only Anderson and Davies as estabished starters. The rest of the rotation is a patchwork of minor leaguers. And pitching has not been their weakness.

+1

The Nelson injury really has me bummed, he was developing into a legit ace.  Who knows what he will be like when he returns.   I thought pitching would be their weak point this year, turned out to be their strength,  what I liked is that Sterns wasn't afraid to cut bait (other than Garza in what wasn't working) Peralta, Feliz, Scahill, Milone, Blazek, Marninez, etc..

Next year starters:
Davies
Anderson
TBD
TBD
TBD

I don't think Wilkerson or Woodruff are long term fixes if we want to compete, I don't think you can count on Nelson and I'm not sure if Suter is really a starter - though he did very good, but only about 5 innings - not sure if he can face that lineup for third time with success.   Also, hate to say that Junior Gurra was a one hit wonder.   I think Hader is wired for the bullpen, though I hope he can develop into someone that can come in more than every other or third day.  He was a great surprise.  Barnes, I hope grows into more consistent RP maybe taking that setup roll back after Swarzak leaves.   Drake and Huges are cheap patches in the middle.  Jefferies would also be a nice fit in that setup roll, though I'm a bit worried that he regressed.

I would think like to see them bring up Corbin Burnes and Freddy Peralta  for two of the open slots in the SP and roll the dice with them.   Then fill in with a quality FA

As for the everydays.   I loved his energy and his defense, but would be surprised if Broxton is with the team in the spring.  I think their lacking a leadoff hitter,  Phillips?  2B,  you have control of Villar for another 2 yrs, might have to roll the dice with him again.  Other than that the lineup is set,  I hope Thames regains his early season form,  that wasn't pretty through the summer. 

Sad part is if you look at position by position vs Cubs I don't see us over taking them.
Starting Pitching - Close, but assume cubs will be active in FA market - Cubs
Relief Pitching - Brewers
C - Close, but Cubs
1B - Cubs
2B - Cubs
SS - Crew on Def, but Cubs because of the bat
3B - closer, but Cubs
LF - Crew
CF - Cubs
RF - Cubs Def, but Crew because of the bat
Bench - Push

I love the energy of this team, but I don't know if this is a playoff team (that can go deep into the playoffs) because of their inconstant approach at the plate from 1-8

Just my two bits
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

beanertimm

Not sure where we are salary wise, but I would like to see them try to get a #1 starter.  Then follow up with Nelson (assuming he comes back the same), Anderson, Davies, and whoever emerges in spring training as the #5.  I know they talk about moving Hader up to the rotation, but he was so good in the bullpen.  Is Walker coming back or will he be a free agent?  Braun could go to 1st to open up room for all of the young outfielders.

Houndhead

Somehow the Brewers need to be more selective at the plate. The strikeouts were out of control. Not sure how you change that with the same hitters back. It needs to be stressed from the 1st day of camp. I think too many people are going to have higher expectations next year. I think if they are in contention and above .500 it will be a successful season. I think it will take another year for a deep playoff run.

Ghetto

Quote from: beanertimm on October 04, 2017, 01:00:54 PM
Not sure where we are salary wise, but I would like to see them try to get a #1 starter.  Then follow up with Nelson (assuming he comes back the same), Anderson, Davies, and whoever emerges in spring training as the #5.  I know they talk about moving Hader up to the rotation, but he was so good in the bullpen.  Is Walker coming back or will he be a free agent?  Braun could go to 1st to open up room for all of the young outfielders.

I don't think that Hader has a strong enough third pitch to be a successful starter.

I think the Brewers have Thames for three? years? I agree that Braun could move to first if he isn't dealt.

neutral

I think the Brewers are stuck with Braun in LF though at least 2019 (and not until his contract ends if his offense falls off at all) ... unless they can trade Thames.  I don't know why they didn't give Braun a try at 1B last year before signing Thames ... when they had no real expectations.

There's a lot of discussion on mlbtraderumors.com of them being in the hunt for Arieta, Darvish, or Cobb ... (seriously).  If they could one of those - depending on what the Cubs are able to get for SPs ... they could be fairly equal

That would imply that they're in it to win it - in which case ...
... they've gotta sign Swarzak ... and it sounds like he's interested in coming back.
... I like the idea of signing Phillips for a short term 2B & lead-off guy - but that's all he position player moves I'd make.

I'm not sure why they resigned Sogard.  He was a pleasant surprise - but he is what he is.  If you solve your lead-off problem with a 2B - let Villar do the IF utility work ... and let Perez do the OF utility work (and give them both a steady diet of it).

(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

Houndhead

I want no part of Arietta for what his price will be. I like the Cobb idea. I liked that the Brewers were willing to sit players that did not perform, aka Villar and Garza.

ElectricGuy

Quote from: Houndhead on November 13, 2017, 09:57:43 AM
I want no part of Arietta for what his price will be. I like the Cobb idea. I liked that the Brewers were willing to sit players that did not perform, aka Villar and Garza.

Agree on many parts - I think Arietta is already set for a quick decline.   Also, you are spot on, I was so tired of the past where previous mgmt / coaches would walk out under performers - Suppan, Hall, Loshe, Wei-Chung Wang <- OMG remember that 2014 train wreck because he was a rule 5 guy that they had to keep on roster,  Yuni Betancourt, L Schafer, J Bianchi, R Weeks, R Wolf, M Parra, C Narvoson, Dave Bush, B Looper etc................................   then S Marcum in the playoffs............  ugh........

Man thinking back that 2009 staff had to be the worst ever after the 2008 playoff run with Sheets and Sabathia - then in 2009 you had Looper, Bush, Parra, Suppan - I remember Braun got slapped on his wrist by Melvin after a series with Chicago when he publicly vented that they needed SP help.  You look back now and that was an embarrassment for Melvin to put those 4 out there after making the playoffs the year before for the first time in 26 years.

Hound you hit a nerve and got me going.  :)
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.