ratatouille

Started by bigG, August 20, 2017, 01:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Never tried the stuff. But, I remember seeing the movie a few years ago when my kids were younger and recall the scene when the ultra snobby restaurant critic begrudgingly tried the dish and was immediately transported back to his childhood, and happier times.

The dish that does that for me is turkey (leftover from thanksgiving) tetrazzini with garlic bread. Maybe it was special because it was a once a year thing; and chicken didn't quite do it as well as turkey. I still make it once per year, using my mom's recipe and I get that flashback effect.

What's your flashback dish? And don't give me that "napalm in the morning" crap.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

Cream Tuna on home made biscuits....

bigG

Mmmm. There are few things that have the smell and taste component of HM biskits.

ramjet

Light fluffy and with that golden brown that only butter can bring.

My newest Bug Green Egg pizza with home made crust is just about as good.

Press basil pesto with smoked chicken and artichokes smothered with top choice mozzarella. yum yum it is fantastic pizza.

bigG

I have a pal with one of those Greeneggs and he's got me hooked on the pizzas he can make. Everytime I come over he's got something new. Good stuff.

There is only one butter. I CAN believe that fake crap is not butter. Only butter can I believe to be butter.  :)

Speaking of which, non-fancy, plain-ole homemade bread soft, hot and steaming, but crusty outside, with real butter. Thanks mom, for a taste of heaven on earth.

ramjet

So true the smell of freshed baked bread is heaven on earth.

bigG

The ensuing flavor ain't so bad, neither.

ramjet

bigG

Since you have the sweetest charcoal device on the market, we should also acknowledge our fond memories if simple grill dogs, brats and burgers with sides of homemade slaw, tater salad, beans and , of course, watermelon...WITH THE SEEDS. I just had this meal yesterday and it always puts me in that 4th of July, 1977 mode.

ramjet

I will also tell you that I cook Johnsonville brats with indirect heat. They are absolutely the best this way. I also make my own lump charcoal the best wood has been oak and beechwood. Today we are making country style ribs. An excellent rub from a veteran owned company out of Texas. Some of II the best spices I have ever used.

Check out some fantastic food from the Big Green Egg on Instagram under mike_ramjet.

bigG

Cool beans. Indirect heat works well with just about anything.

New little trick I learned.

With tough to skin garlic, put those cloves in the nuke for 10 seconds and they peel easy.

My mom didn't OD me with garlic as a kid; but many of my finest food memories include the flavor of cooked garlic.