RTC''s and Top college programs

Started by wrestler_73, July 18, 2017, 01:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestler_73

Just saw that Guerrero was hired as the RTC coach for the Oklahoma RTC.  The RTC's have become a recruiting tool for the top programs.  We have a great opportunity to hire a big name to run our RTC and help recruit top talent.  I would personally love to see an Askren brothers duo with one leading the Badgers and the other leading the RTC.

wrestler_73

Small minds give small thoughts, we can't do that answers and no solutions....

Is it possible that if done well...The RTC coach and Badger Coach with camps would make a lot more money and have much more influence than the current regime.  Ben and Max would flip the switch and  make it something truly special

dman

We have Tyler Turner which is amazing!

wrestler_73

Barou

Quote from: wrestler_73 on July 18, 2017, 07:56:13 PM
Is Barry in Fargo? 

There was a "coaches spotted" type of feature on an email I read (can't remember if it was the Open Mat or Jason Bryant's....) anyway, in that listing there were no Wisconsin assistants or Barry mentioned.
JHI Mafia

Barou

Quote from: thedecider on July 18, 2017, 04:30:13 PM
Interesting thought but I think we need an Olympian leading the RTC. 

Askren was an Olympian.
JHI Mafia

leg turk

Why on earth wouldn't Barry be at Fargo?

wrastle63

Quote from: Barou on July 19, 2017, 07:57:13 AM
Quote from: wrestler_73 on July 18, 2017, 07:56:13 PM
Is Barry in Fargo? 

There was a "coaches spotted" type of feature on an email I read (can't remember if it was the Open Mat or Jason Bryant's....) anyway, in that listing there were no Wisconsin assistants or Barry mentioned.
I know for sure Kyle and Trevor are both there.

leg turk

Quote from: getyourpoints on July 19, 2017, 02:45:54 PM
Quote from: leg turk on July 19, 2017, 08:38:13 AM
Why on earth wouldn't Barry be at Fargo?
Maybe for the same reason John Smith was there!!!

That's what I'm saying , why wouldn't Barry be there, does he have prior engagements?

TylerBRTC

I think you guys bring up some great points about a coach for the RTC. Although I don't agree with some of them they are worth considering.

I do not think an Olympian is needed to be a coach for the BRTC. You do need someone with freestyle experience but I don't think an Olympian is the way to go for multiple reasons let me give you a couple:

- there are so many training options for guys to get Olympic coaching that they don't need it at all times. You need someone who can get them to work on things they need to work on AND keep them focused on their goals. Their skills are great already and they can hone them at training camps around the world and country.

- the resources needed are not where I think we should spend our resources. Some of these coaches are making 100k and more to coach their RTC. I think we can get a great coach at reduced price and take the rest of the money we may have used on coaches to put towards the athletes; on training camps, trips, tournaments, or bringing guys into WI. I would rather invest more money into the athletes then a coach at this stage in our RTC.

- Guys will come to the BRTC because of the vision and opportunity, not the coaching. A full-time coach is needed to take it to the next level but that will not be the main reason guys come and train at the BRTC.

I see the benefits of having an Olympian as a coach but I don't think it is worth the cost at this time.

If you are serious about a coach coming to the BRTC you should for sure be getting your ticket to the Steak Fry coming up on Aug 3rd. Without your investment, it's just empty words. My mentor used to say to me "Everyone wants to be a national champ but are you willing to put in the work to make it happen?" This is true with the RTC too. Everyone wants a great RTC but are you ...

https://www.badgerrtc.org/steak-fry

We have to start recognizing that freestyle training is not the same as college training and we need to make adjustments accordingly. Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean we need to be doing it or follow their structure. Yes, because everyone is doing it we need to have these conversations and explore the options but that doesn't mean it is the best thing for us to do.

I also want you all to be aware that our coaching staff was well represented at Fargo. From the BRTC we had our 3 main coaches out there scouting and actually coaching and getting into the guys corner. Investing in and getting to know the guys you love and want to get better... something I can't say a lot of other rtc's did.

I can also say with high confidence not too many other universities had that happen.

wrastle63

Quote from: TylerBRTC on July 19, 2017, 04:23:34 PM
I think you guys bring up some great points about a coach for the RTC. Although I don't agree with some of them they are worth considering.

I do not think an Olympian is needed to be a coach for the BRTC. You do need someone with freestyle experience but I don't think an Olympian is the way to go for multiple reasons let me give you a couple:

- there are so many training options for guys to get Olympic coaching that they don't need it at all times. You need someone who can get them to work on things they need to work on AND keep them focused on their goals. Their skills are great already and they can hone them at training camps around the world and country.

- the resources needed are not where I think we should spend our resources. Some of these coaches are making 100k and more to coach their RTC. I think we can get a great coach at reduced price and take the rest of the money we may have used on coaches to put towards the athletes; on training camps, trips, tournaments, or bringing guys into WI. I would rather invest more money into the athletes then a coach at this stage in our RTC.

- Guys will come to the BRTC because of the vision and opportunity, not the coaching. A full-time coach is needed to take it to the next level but that will not be the main reason guys come and train at the BRTC.

I see the benefits of having an Olympian as a coach but I don't think it is worth the cost at this time.

If you are serious about a coach coming to the BRTC you should for sure be getting your ticket to the Steak Fry coming up on Aug 3rd. Without your investment, it's just empty words. My mentor used to say to me "Everyone wants to be a national champ but are you willing to put in the work to make it happen?" This is true with the RTC too. Everyone wants a great RTC but are you ...

https://www.badgerrtc.org/steak-fry

We have to start recognizing that freestyle training is not the same as college training and we need to make adjustments accordingly. Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean we need to be doing it or follow their structure. Yes, because everyone is doing it we need to have these conversations and explore the options but that doesn't mean it is the best thing for us to do.

I also want you all to be aware that our coaching staff was well represented at Fargo. From the BRTC we had our 3 main coaches out there scouting and actually coaching and getting into the guys corner. Investing in and getting to know the guys you love and want to get better... something I can't say a lot of other rtc's did.

I can also say with high confidence not too many other universities had that happen.
Great post and agree. Focus on the athletes first!