McIntosh promoted

Started by Houndhead, July 07, 2017, 08:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndhead

With McIntosh being the heir apperent to Barry Alverez, is this good news for UW wrestling? I believe McIntosh was a wrestler at Pewaukee.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2017/07/05/chris-mcintosh-promoted-uws-deputy-athletic-director/453718001/

leg turk

Well, I don't think it can hurt the UW Wrestling, maybe he will actually care about the team getting better.

bigG

I'd love to think we'll start making wrestling a priority; but even with a decent team we get crowds 0f 100.
Mc was one big fellah.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Barou

Quote from: bigG on July 07, 2017, 10:32:25 AM
I'd love to think we'll start making wrestling a priority; but even with a decent team we get crowds 0f 100.
Mc was one big fellah.

Very true.  That's why once again it leads us to Askren.  Askren would care and promote events!  He would get crowds there and promote the heck out of Badger wrestling if he was the guy.
JHI Mafia

Numbers

Quote from: Barou on July 07, 2017, 11:13:40 AM
Mc was one big fellah.

Very true.  That's why once again it leads us to Askren.  Askren would care and promote events!  He would get crowds there and promote the heck out of Badger wrestling if he was the guy.

Hartland and Pewaukee are neighbors.  Sounds like a match.

bigG

Quote from: Barou on July 07, 2017, 11:13:40 AM
Mc was one big fellah.

I believe that, too. But, like Npope pointed out, there are many who are happy with the way things are; compared to the way the might otherwise be (say, if Ben didn't work out).

Jimmy

Didn't mac play football in college? Wasn't he hand picked by Barry A.  Nothing will change!

MNbadger

So, are you saying hiring Ben Askren would result in crowds ten times bgger than they are presently?  You have a competitive Big Ten dual team.  You have individula NCAA All Americas.  You have an NCAA finalist good enough to be a Champ.  You hire Ben Askren (or anyone else) and THAT is going to convince people to attend?  I don't buy it.  
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

mike

Quote from: Houndhead on July 07, 2017, 08:23:04 AM
With McIntosh being the heir apperent to Barry Alverez, is this good news for UW wrestling? I believe McIntosh was a wrestler at Pewaukee.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2017/07/05/chris-mcintosh-promoted-uws-deputy-athletic-director/453718001/

1994 heavyweight state champion.  McIntosh was Pewaukee's first wrestling state champion ever. 

bigG

Quote from: MNbadger on July 07, 2017, 03:44:47 PM
So, are you saying hiring Ben Askren would result in crowds ten times bgger than they are presently?  You have a competitive Big Ten dual team.  You have individula NCAA All Americs.  You have an NCAA finalist good enough to be a Champ.  You hire Ben Askren (or anyone else) and THAT is going to convince people to attend?  I don't buy it. 

Just hiring the guy doesn't bring people in. He seems to enjoy the promo and competition parts. More importantly, he's pretty good at both.

I'm a little biased because I've seen Ben wrestle since he was in middle school. I'll also be the first to admit I didn't appreciate some of his tomfoolery in high school. I think he'd be the man for this job. I just think a slower transition might be in order. However JRob may have ended up; I can remember when MN wrestling was kinda where WI is right now. JRob promoted and recruited/worked them to a top-notch team.

You hire Askren and you get better recruits, IMO. He has much more in-state faith in him and you let him coach them. He will provide for a more seamless transition to FS/GR. Ben wasn't just funky defense, he was always trying to score. I think many less-than-happy Badger fans hate our wait-and-see style and want to see more scoring attempts; even if that means taking it on the chin at first.

It's a risk, either way. But one that I support. I know Alvarez reads everything I post, so there ya go. :)

bigG

Quote from: getyourpoints on July 08, 2017, 08:58:59 AM
Quote from: bigG on July 08, 2017, 07:36:47 AM
Quote from: MNbadger on July 07, 2017, 03:44:47 PM
So, are you saying hiring Ben Askren would result in crowds ten times bgger than they are presently?  You have a competitive Big Ten dual team.  You have individula NCAA All Americs.  You have an NCAA finalist good enough to be a Champ.  You hire Ben Askren (or anyone else) and THAT is going to convince people to attend?  I don't buy it.  

Just hiring the guy doesn't bring people in. He seems to enjoy the promo and competition parts. More importantly, he's pretty good at both.

I'm a little biased because I've seen Ben wrestle since he was in middle school. I'll also be the first to admit I didn't appreciate some of his tomfoolery in high school. I think he'd be the man for this job. I just think a slower transition might be in order. However JRob may have ended up; I can remember when MN wrestling was kinda where WI is right now. JRob promoted and recruited/worked them to a top-notch team.

Your comparing Ben (at this point of his carrier) to Coach Robinson is as far off as it gets. Before becoming the head coach at MN Coach Robinson had 80x more coaching experience and connections then Ben currently has. First Jay Robinson after completing college served his county as an officer in an Army Ranger unit in Vietnam from 1969-1971 where he learned leadership and selflessness. In 1972 while wrestling for the Army he made the Olympic team, he also wrestled on 4 world teams where he won 4 titles. He also served as an Olympic coach in 1976,1980,1984,1988 a long with coaching a few Pan Am teams. While gaining all that coaching experience he also severed as the Iowa asst coach from 1976-1984 where they won 7 national titles while he learned how to coach and win from the legend of all college coaches.  
Jay Robinson sitting in a blue chippers living room his first few years as a head coach would be very different then Ben sitting in that same room. As a dad my first question would be since you haven't really coached at the college level beyond a couple years while you were training to make the Olympic team How many D1 AA have come out of your privet club so far? 2nd Question how do you plan on working with the faculty to insure class room success? Jay Robinson could knock those questions out of the park on day one because he was "prepared and qualified" for the job.
Look I think Ben could be a fabulous head coach someday if he chose to change his carrier path. But no Athletic Director making 500k-1.5million is ever going to take a chance of losing there job over an untested none qualified head coach, so can we please stop with the cartoon plan.
This idea reminds me of a scene out of the movie "Cop Land" when the old wily detective says to the local small town sheriff (who was kind of a dreamer) your plan is the plan of a child.  

You hire Askren and you get better recruits, IMO. He has much more in-state faith in him and you let him coach them. He will provide for a more seamless transition to FS/GR. Ben wasn't just funky defense, he was always trying to score. I think many less-than-happy Badger fans hate our wait-and-see style and want to see more scoring attempts; even if that means taking it on the chin at first.

It's a risk, either way. But one that I support. I know Alvarez reads everything I post, so there ya go. :)

Just comparing the promo edge. Robinson must be from one big county.

bigG

I admitted to bias. Just dreaming out loud.

It's not that I hate BD. I just despise our "laid back" style.

Troy Grindle

Just an FYI jrob never served in Vietnam.  He was slated to leave with his platoon to go over to Vietnam but got excused to wrestle at the world championships for the U.S. after he won the national championships.  He was a leutenaint as an army ranger at the time.  He has a really neat story and you can watch it on his website.  Jrob says in it how much it bothered him not to go with his platoon to Vietnam.  He even offered to give up his rank to go over to Vietnam but the army said no.
And then there was that.

bigG

"I would have to imagine Mcintosh getting promoted would help the wrestling program. How many college AD's were high school wrestling state champs? I would think BD is safe as long as BA is around but a relatively young AD might want to push the wresting program especially with an AD that understands and cares about the sport. Unless BD learns how to fund raise his seasons may be limited."-GYP

I would hope as much; but sure don't see him kickin' BD to the curb, either. I'm sure there'd be a slew of coaches with more experience coaching than Ben. Are there any prospects with more MMA? Many wrestlers see this as the only route to an athletic profession. We might get a different breed of recruit, I thought Terry Steiner was available a few years ago. He got my vote. Most teams that are upper tier have a style all their own. Ours is "lurking."

On the other hand; we have a decent team and BD has made noticeable improvements in recruitment and performance, respectively, this year.

Coach Ryan

First off, I have zero bad things to say about Barry Davis as a person. I think Barry has done some good things for Wisconsin wrestling and I think Wisconsin wrestlers as a whole are stand up citizens.

However, bringing in a coach like Ben Askren would absolutely change the face of Badger wrestling. With Ben you get a guy who is one of the best promoters of the sport that I have ever seen, he is a Wisconsin guy and a guy who gets people/kids motivated to wrestle for him. 

I will be the first to admit that I consider Ben and Max friends, however Wisconsin wrestling needs a change up and I guarantee Ben could put people in the seats, change the Badgers style of wrestling and be a national contender with his leadership.  Plus the best thing about Ben is when you doubt him he works harder to prove you wrong (as proved by his accolades). I would love to see Ben as the Badger's coach (that is if he would want the position).