I think it's time...

Started by Ghetto, May 15, 2017, 01:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarons23

Quote from: Ghetto on June 03, 2017, 10:53:45 AM
I just want you all to know that everyone agreeing with me that we should go to 12 weights is heartwarming. 😘😘

Heck let's just go to 8 right away so the team that only have 7 kids will look like a closer dual....reducing the sport for those who don't produce is always a great way to build the sport.   ::)
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

woody53

I am sorry but no club takes on anyone without money. They can to survive. To thing that anyone with talent can go to a club is a joke. There has to be money from somewhere.

Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

aarons23

Quote from: woody53 on June 03, 2017, 12:27:49 PM
I am sorry but no club takes on anyone without money. They can to survive. To thing that anyone with talent can go to a club is a joke. There has to be money from somewhere.

Sorry Woody...you are wrong.  Most of the elite clubs have members who otherwise could not afford it.  They don't openly advertise it for 2 reasons.  1) they don't want everyone asking or expecting it and 2) they don't want people to know who it may be.

I know of clubs where parents and sometimes the wrestlers themselves takes on tasks of the club to help out instead of payment. 

I am sure it is an NCAA violation for a high school kids who is seeking admission to an NCAA school to take free lessons from any club.  So this can be a slippery slope.  I have heard of certain clubs going after some of Wisconsins better wrestlers to get them in the room and not charging them.  This could be a huge mistake for the wrestler to accept this
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

bigG

There are also nice youth clubs which are partially publicly funded. Get the kids some mat time and there ya go.

Our biggest hurdle is dealing with work hours. My kids need to make $. Many to keep a family afloat. LAW runs a clean program, though, in my experience. Good folks.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

Quote from: aarons23 on June 03, 2017, 12:14:30 PM
I just want you all to know that everyone agreeing with me that we should go to 12 weights is heartwarming. 😘😘

Heck let's just go to 8 right away so the team that only have 7 kids will look like a closer dual....reducing the sport for those who don't produce is always a great way to build the sport.   ::)

You have absolutely no sense of humor. Lighten up a bit. It was a joke.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

aarons23

Quote from: Ghetto on June 04, 2017, 02:05:57 PM
Quote from: aarons23 on June 03, 2017, 12:14:30 PM

You have absolutely no sense of humor. Lighten up a bit. It was a joke.

Believe me...I laugh every time you bring it up. ;D

It's very strenuous! 

bigG

Scoffin' and laughin' are two different things. ;)

davebrandvold

*  Camps or clubs may charge or not charge an athlete.  It is up to their discretion.    I cannot find any language in the WIAA Bulletin that states otherwise.   
      High-level athletes across the country are not charged camp fees to attend a school or camp. 

*   Why would we discourage kids from attending a school or camp?   As coaches, we should be encouraging our kids to become better and those that do not have the ability or proximity to go to a camp or school may still go into the school's weight room 3-4 times per week in order to gain the strength needed to lessen the beating. JK.           This is being said about athletes that love the sport, love putting the time in, and we are not concerned about them over-working or burning out. 

*  Weight classes.......it is a problem and sometimes the first fix may not be the final solution, it may need a revision and some work but we need to make some changes in that direction or we are going to lose the sport in many districts.   Schools and communities need to have representative dual teams or administrators will look at our sport to cut.   There are some great ideas out there but again we need to make some bold choices and move forward.   Standing pat in any business is not the right answer.   I understand change is uncomfortable but it is necessary for growth.   

Duals are the fun part of the sport for kids.  Especially for the less talented that contribute with a hard fought match and lessen the points given up.   How many state team duals are won as a kid stays off of his back or doesn't give up the pin due to his/her desire and will?  The kids celebrate him as much as the state champ that nails down a pin.   

Sorry for the length but I wanted to summarize several points that I had read on the thread.  Thanks to all of you that care so much for Wisconsin Wrestling.

Jimmy

And if mr. Brandvold's suggestions are acceptable, I know of lots of hay bales to be thrown and calf pens pitched!

Coach V

You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

Jimmy

You guys can read into anything, amazing! I was just looking for some help.

bigG

You do bring up a good point. The old school farm kids were successful because they were tough. There are some left but they don't have time for off season opportunities usually because they are throwing bales, milking, etc. Most dairy kids these days have strong wrists from steering the skidsteer. That's about it. Obesity is becoming an issue for farm kids because they work so little (physically) and suck down one Sundrop after the next in the machine they're driving. Old school they just had to be wrestling season wrestlers. These days it is a year-round sport for the elites, so those old school  farm kids will not be elites. Got work to do; and can't afford the trips all over. I know of one or two; but that's about it. Our more serious farm kids did send their kids to LAW for some upper level training at a young age.

bigG

Some smaller ones are bailing after baling.

Pork producers are hurtin'. Poultry is movin' in.

Big ones won't bail; joy stick farmers. Still, a tough business.