Ryan Braun?

Started by leg turk, May 09, 2017, 04:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

What do we do with this guy?  Is he tradeable, can we get anything for him?  Or do we hang on to him, and build around him?  I could see it going either way, but I kinda hope they can get rid of him for some good prospects.... It seems like he's hurt all the time, and maybe that's why no other team will give alot up for him.

Ghetto

I go back and forth on that as well. His contract isn't great to trade (averages about 17 million) because of its amount and it's length. He goes out to 2021 before he becomes a free agent. While I think I'd trade him for some high level pitching prospects (or one that is ready now), that opportunity is a few years away.

That's really not an answer. I think the length of the contract forces their hand and makes him a piece in the puzzle whether they want it or not. If you take out the one season where he missed most of the year, he plays about 145 games a year. If the Brewers give him days off, and use him well, he's still an above average player.

In retrospect, thankful that they chose Braun over Fielder. As much as I liked the Prince, he has declined quickly.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bkraus

If the Brewers can keep up the pace they are on as a team, and Braun is a productive member of that, then he would definitely be tradable.  There would probably be big market clubs that would be willing to take on his contract.  And maybe some small market ones too if the Brewers agree to eat some of it.  But if the Brewers keep pace without him contributing, then no chance anyone would take that on.  He's not getting any younger and will be 37 when the contract expires.  I would take what you can get for him as soon as you can.

Speaking of Fielder, you need to check out his cooking show on Netflix...  very funny!
Strive for Perfection

Ghetto

When I Googled Fielder to see what he was doing, that show came up. I'm guessing it is a vegan show.  ;D

bkraus

Oh no...  one episode had gigantic steaks. 
Strive for Perfection

Ghetto

Always knew I liked that guy.

wrastle63

They have a bunch of good young OF prospects in the minors as well.

Ghetto

Quote from: wrastle63 on May 10, 2017, 11:56:08 AM
They have a bunch of good young OF prospects in the minors as well.

Absolutely. There is serious talent in the minors in the outfield. 3 or 4 of the top 10 prospects in their system are OF players.

dietac

The options to trade him are limited. He has a no trade clause to all but 5 teams, one of them being the Dodgers, who are probably the only team on the list that has the possible need and prospects for him. On May 24th, his 10/5 rights kick in and he can veto any trade to any team.  Him being hurt right now isn't helping his value either.  Chances are that he's going to be a Brewer for awhile.
George "The Animal" Steele

wrastle63

Quote from: dietac on May 10, 2017, 10:38:05 PM
The options to trade him are limited. He has a no trade clause to all but 5 teams, one of them being the Dodgers, who are probably the only team on the list that has the possible need and prospects for him. On May 24th, his 10/5 rights kick in and he can veto any trade to any team.  Him being hurt right now isn't helping his value either.  Chances are that he's going to be a Brewer for awhile.
Yea for what they would get in return it almost wouldn't be worth it. Before Thames came I wondered if he would end up moving to 1st potentially to free up space in the OF for our prospects. 1st would also be easier on his body.

bkraus

I went to the game last night, and boy did they look good without him.  I would take what you can get for him while he still has some playing time left.  He will be "old" soon and they will be lucky to get a used ball bag for him.
Strive for Perfection

Ghetto

Not even a pair of socks?  :'(

bigoil

Quote from: bkraus on May 11, 2017, 10:47:26 AM
I went to the game last night, and boy did they look good without him.  I would take what you can get for him while he still has some playing time left.  He will be "old" soon and they will be lucky to get a used ball bag for him.

You do know that he started last night and was on base 2/3 at bats(one hit and one bb). He left I believe in the fifth.

Ghetto

He left in the fifth with calf tightness.

bigoil

Quote from: Ghetto on May 11, 2017, 12:39:16 PM
He left in the fifth with calf tightness.
Yes after they had 6 runs by the time the 5th was over...