Brewers Playing pretty well.

Started by leg turk, April 28, 2017, 11:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

Well, they are 12-11 so far.  I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised.  Really hoping they can keep it up.  Even if they don't win the division, or a wildcard, they have been competitive, and pretty fun to watch.  Lots of offense from these new guys.  I will be pretty happy if they can finish the year at .500, but would love it if they surprised me, and win a wildcard spot.....  Keep on Rocking Brew Crew!

Ghetto

They still lack real pitching, but I'm excited to see them being successful early.

I hope (and think) Stearns is the real deal. I was reading something where Thames has been on his radar for more than just last year. I know that Thames isn't going to hit 50 bombs this year or any year, but the Brewers saw some talent in the guy, and he's a great dude to boot. His deal is ridiculously small if he produces at all.

In our market, they have to find guys like this to fill in the gaps, so they can overpay for other guys. I think Braun will have a nice year with some bats around him, and they'll deal him at the end of the season to create some room.

I look forward to this season, and feel a Littleguy bet coming on. I swear I'll bring my wallet this time.  ;)
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

wrastle63

Tied for first place...pretty crazy.

Ghetto

Nice win last night too. Beating the Cardinals any time is great, but proving that you can do it in extras will be a confidence boost I hope.

If you look at the team they put on the field, there is no glaring scrub out there like there was in years past. Everyone out there has some skills and isn't super deficient in one area. If one or two of their young pitchers can come along and be a 15 game winner, the Brewers really have something. 90 wins can get you to the playoffs some years, and while I don't think they have that right now, they are close.

I say 80 wins this year. The month of May is almost all .500 and sub .500 teams. If they can get out of May with 5 or more games over .500 that would be nice.

wrastle63

Should be getting Guerra back soon. That should help the pitching problems as well!

Ghetto

I forgot about that. That will really help.

Houndhead

My fear is they will go on a losing streak and then never get back to .500. I sure hope not. Some of the bats that started slow are starting to heat up now. Villar, Broxton, Santana, Arcia. The production from the catching posotion has to be the biggest surprise so far.

wrastle63

The starting pitching has been pretty awful though. Minus Chase Anderson if they could get a couple of them doing better we could do some damage. They are winning a lot of 6-5 games.

Ghetto

Having Guerra back will reduce the AAAA starter count by one, and maybe that will give the Brewers some consistency with their starting pitching. I certainly hope so. Having to go to the bullpen early in the season just means that they will have to call up a few minor league guys to take innings. That will lead to more losses.

I still say 80. I think this will be a good month to be a fan, and then when summer hits, I'll go just to tailgate.

wrastle63

Quote from: Ghetto on May 02, 2017, 12:17:38 PM
Having Guerra back will reduce the AAAA starter count by one, and maybe that will give the Brewers some consistency with their starting pitching. I certainly hope so. Having to go to the bullpen early in the season just means that they will have to call up a few minor league guys to take innings. That will lead to more losses.

I still say 80. I think this will be a good month to be a fan, and then when summer hits, I'll go just to tailgate.
Bingo you can already see Barnes struggling a bit compared to beginning of season. I wonder how much of that has to do with workload? Wish we had some starters who could go 6 or 7.

TomM

How is Hank the dog? When are the "Hank" bobble head nights? Will there be 50 Hank bobble head nights this year?
(is bobble head two words, or just one word as in bobblehead?)

Just curious...

Are those counties still paying for the baseball park formerly known as County  Stadium?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

leg turk

Really really hoping that the last start for Garza is a sign of things to come for him.... He looked pretty darn good.  That would sure help out the starting staff if he could be productive this year.....  I agree though, the bullpen is starting to breakdown a little.  It's just great that they are competitive so far... Love watching them every night, nothing else on the tube worth watching.

maggie

Were playing like a championship team....for the first Inning anyways.... ;)...GO CREW !
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Ghetto

They've hit a bad stretch, losing games they shouldn't, and are still in first place after going 3-7 in their last 10. Garza is reverting back to his old form. I'm still hopeful though. Braun coming off the DL at some point will help get Thames back on track, and who knows?

Gonna hit a bunch of games this summer. They are fun to watch.

Houndhead

If Guerra, Anderson, Davies keep pitching like their last starts, we could stay in 1st. I wouldn't bet on that happening.