BD

Started by wrastle63, April 21, 2017, 05:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

Being in the running for a trophy every year would change the game.

I'm not giving up on UW, but there has to be some rich donor in Wisconsin that wrestled, who could help fund a program at say, UW-Green Bay or something. While I know that Ben would rather be some place larger, and Big Ten, but there's also a bit of "I'll do this because you said I couldn't" in Ben Askren that might push him to want to build a program and try and show up the Badgers.

I know, it's UW-Green Bay, but why not? Cleveland State has a program. Franklin and Marshall, Buffalo, and the list goes on of places that don't seem like wrestling schools at all. It can't be UWM with that mess of an athletic department. I also believe that Green Bay is well positioned with Title IX since they don't have football to mess up the numbers. Plus he could start a women's program with all the contacts he has to balance it out. The academic standards aren't quite as high I would think. So many possibilities there.

I know Barry Davis takes a beating, and I often contribute, but I am excited for the young kids he's bringing in this year and last. I also believe that Barry Alvarez sees a clean program with great people in it, and doesn't care if the Badgers place in the top eight at nationals. Not only was Medberry a finalist, but he won that prestigious award. Bringing in kids like that will get you a long way.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

ckwrestler

Quote from: thedecider on April 24, 2017, 01:21:39 PM
Good reading...

http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2017/2/21/wrestling-badgering-barry-davis.aspx

What's your favorite moment as a Wisconsin coach?

"There's been a lot of them. Pretty much every day's a favorite moment because I'm doing what I love to do. My favorite moment is probably this: Every year, when Coach (UW Director of Athletics Barry) Alvarez sends me a contract renewal. That's Coach Alvarez saying, 'We'd love to have you back.' I appreciate it. My favorite moment is when he says, 'Let's have a meeting. Let's have a review. Let's put that extra year on your contract.' That's my favorite moment."

so his favorite moment as a coach....is getting a raise?

Harris

I will take the situation UW is in over Boise State any day. 

jjgris

Quote from: Harris on April 24, 2017, 06:11:03 PM
I will take the situation UW is in over Boise State any day. 

Shoot for the stars!!

bigG

Quote from: getyourpoints on April 25, 2017, 07:57:06 AM
Did anyone real think this was not going to happen?
The Badgers budget is very tight they rank 8th or 9th in spending in the Big Ten. They finish where the should each year based on there budget.
I personally can not picture B Asken coaching do to his very opinionated personality which no collage or employer wants, but if he were to coach B Askren or anyone with a popular name would not want to work for a cheap employer.
It will take much more then just a coaching change to get the Badgers fighting for titles or more All Americans. A recent study by Wrestling Insider shows collages are spending 500k per All American and the Badgers have a budget of 1.2 million so they are what they are.

Good point, though. Even though I'm on the Askren bandwagon; doesn't mean that UW wants the potential liability of a young coach who isn't afraid to let his voice be heard. Much as I love the idea of going for the gold; I'm not working for the UW.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Barou

The Badgers budget is very tight they rank 8th or 9th in spending in the Big Ten. They finish where the should each year based on there budget.
I personally can not picture B Asken coaching do to his very opinionated personality which no collage or employer wants, but if he were to coach B Askren or anyone with a popular name would not want to work for a cheap employer.
It will take much more then just a coaching change to get the Badgers fighting for titles or more All Americans. A recent study by Wrestling Insider shows collages are spending 500k per All American and the Badgers have a budget of 1.2 million so they are what they are.

Here's what both provide: Askren is a proven winner and based on many assumptions throughout his career an over achiever.  He is relevant in all levels of wrestling.  Works great with kids (at least that's what it sounds like).  Probably the biggest reason for the elevation of the Missouri wrestling program.  Exactly what about his opinionated personality would a program (or as you say "employer"") wouldn't like?  The 100% effort he puts it?  The 100% effort he demands?  His will to compete and train at the highest levels?  I don't think Askren has ever come close to being a "liability".

BD averages 18th in the country.  His best year ever was 4th place and the 2 individuals most responsible for that finish (Donny and Howe) left the program in disdain.  He has lied to kids on recruiting visits about opportunities to wrestle-off (posted directly from the individual), publicly lied about the admissions status of Alex Dieringer, and is socially inept.  Oh, and his favorite moment as HC wasn't about any particularly great wrestling moment from an athlete but rather getting his annual extension.

As for the budget.  UW gets to operate with the maximum 9.9 scholarships like every other top program.
JHI Mafia

wrastle63

Quote from: Barou on April 25, 2017, 11:13:14 AM

Here's what both provide: Askren is a proven winner and based on many assumptions throughout his career an over achiever.  He is relevant in all levels of wrestling.  Works great with kids (at least that's what it sounds like).  Probably the biggest reason for the elevation of the Missouri wrestling program.  Exactly what about his opinionated personality would a program (or as you say "employer"") wouldn't like?  The 100% effort he puts it?  The 100% effort he demands?  His will to compete and train at the highest levels?  I don't think Askren has ever come close to being a "liability".

BD averages 18th in the country.  His best year ever was 4th place and the 2 individuals most responsible for that finish (Donny and Howe) left the program in disdain.  He has lied to kids on recruiting visits about opportunities to wrestle-off (posted directly from the individual), publicly lied about the admissions status of Alex Dieringer, and is socially inept.  Oh, and his favorite moment as HC wasn't about any particularly great wrestling moment from an athlete but rather getting his annual extension.

As for the budget.  UW gets to operate with the maximum 9.9 scholarships like every other top program.
Agree with most points but budget isn't even close.
Because PSU and UW get the same amount of scholarships doesn't mean an even playing field. PSU has a much higher budget than them and a huge advantage in the club. Obviously seems like the Badgers are trying to improve that.

Barou

Quote from: wrastle63 on April 25, 2017, 11:26:16 AM

Because PSU and UW get the same amount of scholarships doesn't mean an even playing field. PSU has a much higher budget than them and a huge advantage in the club. Obviously seems like the Badgers are trying to improve that.

Agreed, big advantage for PSU with their budget/resources.  I'm of the opinion that it is unrealistic to expect PSU results (or close to it) with anyone at the helm.  I believe with the right coaching change UW is capable of success similar to Missouri, Cornell, Virginia Tech, NC State, Edinboro, etc.
JHI Mafia

bigG

I'm with you, Barou. I do think a prospective employer (Alvarez) might see Ben's lack of HC experience as a liability. It would be a chance. A chance at greatness, IMHO; but Alvarez isn't me; and is sort of obliged to think safety first, I'm afraid.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrastle63

Quote from: Barou on April 25, 2017, 12:04:23 PM

Agreed, big advantage for PSU with their budget/resources.  I'm of the opinion that it is unrealistic to expect PSU results (or close to it) with anyone at the helm.  I believe with the right coaching change UW is capable of success similar to Missouri, Cornell, Virginia Tech, NC State, Edinboro, etc.
Completely agreed. I feel like we could average a top 10 finish. I also think though we are building towards that currently.

leg turk

Quote from: wrastle63 on April 25, 2017, 12:13:09 PM
Quote from: Barou on April 25, 2017, 12:04:23 PM

Completely agreed. I feel like we could average a top 10 finish. I also think though we are building towards that currently.

You can't be serious?

Numbers

Quote from: getyourpoints on April 25, 2017, 06:15:38 PM
Quote from: thedecider on April 25, 2017, 04:28:36 PM
Quote from: getyourpoints on April 25, 2017, 02:02:26 PM
The Badgers budget is 2 million less then all the top 5 teams.
1.2 million isn't enough to contend for the top, we finish right where the spending suggests we would.
Does anyone really think BA even knows who B. Asken is?
There are 8 teams in the Big 10 that have a bigger wrestling budget then the Badgers.

It sounds like the program needs someone at the helm that is capable of increasing funding for the program. I think most folks would be satisfied with 5 All-Americans on a yearly basis.  If it's truly $500K per All-American then we need someone who can find an additional $1.3M in funding every year.  Is Askren that guy? 
It Needs to be someone well thought out and safe to insure the doners feel confident in there investments. They need to be a servent leader that works well with others and committed to maintaining the important relationship. Look to Coach Sanderson as a true leader, we don't need a promoter.

If you get Sanderson to come to Madison, you will probably convince the board to let the Askren thing go.  Sanderson had the big donors lined up day 1 (or maybe before).  The Badger RTC needs funds.  Why did it take 20 years for Davis to get an RTC?  How many former D1 national champs are wresting for the Badger RTC?  How do you think top 5 programs are built?  (Maybe you are in the results don't matter club?)

There are plenty of Badger wrestling donors that have sat on the sidelines for at least 5 years and unfortunately hold a grudge on how donor/fan communications/fundraising (or lack of) have been handled during the Davis years.  I don't think you realize how many wrestling fans would support and attend Badger events planned by Askren.  And in case you have not noticed, Ben has been bringing groups of AWA kids to Badger duals, the Big Ten Tournament in Madison a few years ago, and the World Team Trials in Madison.  Ben supports Wisconsin wrestling at all levels.

That Askren guy is also bringing Kyle Snyder into the state next month.  So what more do you want Ben to do for Wisconsin wrestlers?

Barou

Would Askren generate more donor money than Barry Davis?
JHI Mafia

aarons23

Quote from: Barou on April 26, 2017, 08:07:53 AM
Would Askren generate more donor money than Barry Davis?

I do think he would.  The question is could and would Ben put the UW above his private business interest?
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

billymurphy

Roger KISH became the head coach of North Dakota State in 2011 after serving as the assistant wrestling coach at North Dakota State and became the youngest NCAA Division I head coach in any sport.
And for sure he has been successful.  I think he was 25 years old when he became head coach. 

And I do not think anybody actually thinks that BD knows the Wisconsin high school talent better than Ben Askren.