Started by TomM, April 18, 2017, 06:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

nutman

As an administrator - I'm just sickened at the flippant remarks from the Boise State President.  I'm not sure how someone can become a president of a university and have such poor interpersonal skills.  As you read below that one of his "pet projects" is to begin a baseball program. "Pet Project!!!" These are people not legos.   In other words he's too lazy to get support for the baseball program or to impatient to look for a win-win situation by raising money.  This is not the first run-in this man has had with sports.  It appears he does what he wants with athletics and worries about the consequences later.  This is minor compared to the mess he created in 2014 when he played flip-flop in football conferences.  

Here is the 2014 article as well:  http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/power-5-conferences-boise-state-president-ncaa-reform-ulterior-motives/1muwqfvx9ulv2198kbonqmx87o

The Boise Hawks announced the purchase of land downtown last month and plan to build a new multi-purpose baseball and soccer stadium that could be ready for use by as early as the 2019 baseball season.

The two sides have had discussions in the past about Boise State sharing the stadium with the Hawks should they start a baseball team. It's not known yet if that is the plan, but it would seem likely the Broncos could launch their new baseball program with the start of the new stadium.

"One of my pet projects has been a baseball program," Kustra told the Idaho Press-Tribune in June 2015 when Apsey was hired as athletic director. "It's tough to talk about that to an AD when they are forced with all these new budget pressures regarding cost of attendance, but I really want to raise some money for a baseball program.

"I think it's great that we have such solid high school programs across the valley, and yet if somebody wants to go on and play Division I ball, they have to go someplace else. I think we have a great talent group of student athletes at the high school level in baseball, and I'd like to see them come here," Kustra said in the interview.

bigG

Ouch! Might make nice opportunities for us, though. I'd be lookin' that way. They got some rasslin', too.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

TomM

TomM

TomM

bigG

Jeez, that stinks, though. Had some great wrestlers. Baseball World Series is a money maker, though. Follow the money.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

So sickening. They have beach volleyball.

Again, beach volleyball. In Idaho.

They don't even have a baseball facility, so they will be dropping money in the money pit new stadium for years, and it can't possibly come close to breaking even for the longest. It's a pipe dream of the AD, who will get fired before they field a decent baseball team.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bkraus

I have read that the Boise minor league baseball team, in conjunction with the city, would be building a stadium for the minor league team right across from campus that BSU would also use for baseball.  So apparently a stadium would not cost them a cent.  Makes their decision even easier.

Still hate the decision though.
Strive for Perfection

Ghetto

Did you read the Flo article? It basically says that the stadium would require the minor league team to pay the highest fees of any minor league franchise anywhere. It's a short season single A team, so that is asking a lot. That still wouldn't cover the cost of the stadium debt. Someone has to pay that.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/55231-everything-you-need-to-know-about-boise-state-wrestling#.WQiX9YgrLnA
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bkraus

This is the article I was referencing off of.  I think BSU would pay a lease agreement to use it, but as of now are not being looked at for funding it.  But that could change of course.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/community/boise/article135070044.html
Strive for Perfection

MNbadger

How does attendance compare?
Of course it would depend upon how you measure it.  If we compare the NCAA Championship to the College Final Wrestling would top baseball.  If you count the qualifiers my guess wrestling would have more attendance as well.  I do know the BIG Ten Wrestling Championship brings more in attendance than the Big Ten baseball championship.  I posted this earlier in this thread.
Quote from: bigG on April 30, 2017, 05:06:31 PM
Jeez, that stinks, though. Had some great wrestlers. Baseball World Series is a money maker, though. Follow the money.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan