Jim Koch

Started by yde, March 17, 2017, 12:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdwrestle

I think there is 40+ years of Coaches Parkside family that is hurting right now, I know I am.  Over the years, Sparta HS had five wrestlers that wrestled for Coach Koch.  As a tribute, my wrestling family/friends at Sparta HS is putting together a post in honor of Coach Koch; I wanted to share with those of you who didn't know Coach, a little insight as to the influence he had on myself and many others:

Not sure where to start; I'm deeply saddened. Coach recruited me and Steve, Buck, Justin and Rob because he believed in us, he saw in us potential and not just because of our wrestling abilities but our character.  Our HS coaches, Zurf, Mont, and Mr Smith prepared us well and he recognized that. Coach then filled the void when we left our families and came to college; he became our family.  He always was there to help with anything we had going on that was important to us and just being a friend.  Most importantly, he made me see the importance of graduating.  I thought when I stepped on campus that wrestling was the degree I was pursuing; I still had goals I wanted to reach and that was my priority.  He made me see the big picture that I can reach my goals and set myself up for life after wrestling...and it wasn't easy, we had lots of discussions and I still think about the impact those conversations had on where I'm at today.  Conversations were what made Coach such a unique and great person.  He could talk with anyone and often did...I remember countless times when we'd finish weighing in and we're ready to go eat but couldn't because Coach was still talking with someone..."Come on Coach, we're hungry," someone would yell.  It seemed most times I'd stop in to see him there was people already talking with him or a waiting line to chat with him. Incredibly, he was also the master of falling asleep during a conversation while on wrestling trips and a little while later waking up and not missing a beat about the topic of discussion...but as I think back, he probably never slept because people were always calling on him and he was always there for them regardless the time or place. Coach definitely left us with a lot of great experiences in wrestling as well.  I was part of teams that were ranked number 1 in the country and also became and ALL American in the process. We traveled across the country and wrestled in 15 different states and like a family stopped and visited all the big attractions while on the road.  We also wrestled many tournaments with the D1 powerhouses like Iowas, UW, Okie State, Missouri, etc...that always made us feel our worth even if we got beat up a little bit.  And even when it was all over, Coach was still there for me when I started my own journey after Parkside.  He supported me as a coach, father and husband.

I still can't believe he is gone and I wish we could have one more talk, but I will always appreciate everything he did for me and never forget him.  Love ya Coach!

Thanks,
Joel Dutton
UW Parkside 1989-94
Wrestling Coach - Kenosha Tremper HS 
The harder you work, the harder it is to lose.

Jimmy

Lombardi

Coach Koch will go down in history of one of the most successful & impactful coaches in Wisconsin! I don't believe any Wisconsin coach has had such a profound effect on the sport of wrestling as Coach Koch.  The number of kids/parents/wrestlers/coaches/ and wrestling supporters that he has touched goes into the 1000's!  The tree of success that he is responsible for is like a giant sequoia with it's legacy of success.  The #of National Champions, All-Americans, and successful wrestlers that have come out of UW Parkside is got to be a Wisconsin Coaching record.  Not only did his teams and individuals have success but everyone connected was a part of that winning tradition! Coleman was put on the map by a coaching legend in Jim Douglas in the 60's where they had 5 state championships and 2 runner-up finishes in a 7 year time span.  Ken Martin was the 1st Coleman National champion at Parkside and was Coach Koch's most decorated wrestler. Kenny became Coach Koch's right hand man at Parkside and coached side by side helping to lay the foundation.  Coach Koch was gifted with the ability to talk to anyone and made you feel that you could accomplish all your goals if you were willing to work.  He would give the shirt off his back to help you in any way, and was someone you always enjoyed spending time with.  The vein of Coleman wrestling goes through Parkside and Coach Koch and we are gong to all miss our great friend/coach!  Thanks coach Koch for all the lives you have impacted and will continue to be a part of as we go forward!  Coach Koch, a class act and incredible example!  Karl Casper