who is out there

Started by statman, March 06, 2017, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imwi

I am curious about that too.  I noticed this year he was not down with the team at duals.  And didn't we used to have a fundraiser tied to how many points the team scored at the Big Tens?  or was that Nationals?  Either way, I haven't heard anything about sponsoring for points this year

wrestlemania

"What stops UW from even competing with the private clubs now."

Hello UW! I'm the NCAA. Remember the last time we met? I crippled your program for five seasons! Care to try me again?

I'm willing to take the risk with Askren because of the immediate impact he'll have on making the program a winner; because UW probably won't see a lot of high quality head coach or assistants beating down the door to apply for the job and because they need someone from the outside to fix things. That's no reflection on Trevor who many believe to be a good assistant but results are results and he's been here the last few seasons and UW has finished no higher than eighth in the B1G.

At this point bashing Barry Davis is pointless and I wish it would stop. He is what he is and he's going to retire as the head coach regardless. The point is to prepare for the future and that's helping Ben has good chance of getting the University of Wisconsin wrestling job.

TeamJ

Every year Askren's funky fresh camp alone brings in lots out of state, high caliber, HS talent.  Imagine what he would bring into the state via his camps if he had Big10 coach after his name.

DocWrestling

Nobody knowing what happened with Mitch Hull is one of the biggest problems in UW wrestling.  It is all crickets about wrestling from Madison.

You need new and fresh in Madison and a coach made for this time period.  Askren would be that guy to give a chance. Barry Davis just seems out of date and nobody is forcing him to change.  Many good coaches get let go simply because a fresh start is needed.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Big Steve

Quote from: Wrestling Thug on March 06, 2017, 05:12:02 PM
I like Metcalf or get Mike McMullen from Penn or Jason Welch! The 2 Northwestern guys are aggressive styles,relevant, and pretty smart!

Metcalf may have name recognition but i don't think his personality is there to lead a program. Not that i have had more than a brief conversation with him. He is Brands 3.0 which i don't see working out for everybody. If Tom would have stayed at Virginia Tech i don't think he would be having as much success as Dresser had there. Will be interesting to see those two go head to head recruiting Iowa.
The other two are no more accomplished that Trevor B. Trevor was a very good college wrestler if that is what you are basing these choices on.

The good news for me is i won't be waiting or worrying about this anywhere in the near future as i believe that the Barry's will probably make another announcement soon saying they are adding a couple more years. The truth is as long as there aren't issues with the team, they will just continue on status quo. Its just the way it is.

For the sake of the thread I would say
J Jaggers, Cody Sanderson, Chris Bono, Ben Askren

Micah

I am hearing that Bryan Snyder may go take over Pitt.  He would be a great get for any program, especially if Burroughs goes with him.

jets152

Seriously, does no one know why Hull is not in Madison anymore?

I was wondering about that myself at the duals I attended...
I would've had a chance in WISAA.

Ghetto

Quote from: wrestler133 on March 07, 2017, 01:56:48 PM
The assistant pool would consist of Max as his head assistant, and then he could bring in RT who plans to train for freestyle and can continue the Ohio connection for recruiting. Also, Mitch Hull is not with the Badger Club anymore, so that could open another opportunity to add somebody.

What happened to Mitch Hull?

[/quote]

Mitch Hull is still around. At least he was a month ago. He was in the coaches box at the state tournament.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

imwi

He's hear, it just appears he's not helping with the team.  Last time I saw him at a Badger's meet he was in the stands with the regular folks.  I also mentioned before, he used to run a fundraiser for the NCAAs, buck a point or something, he didn't do it this year.