who is out there

Started by statman, March 06, 2017, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivan Stankowski

What qualifications ???

Doesn't Barry Davis have better qualifications than Askren?

Houndhead

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on March 07, 2017, 11:28:00 AM
What qualifications ???

No, we wouldn't be in the bottom half of the Big 10 every year if he did.

Barou

If you give Ben credit for recruiting Max to Mizzou between him and Max that's 3 more national titles from WI than BD has.
JHI Mafia

Barou

Most if not all of us on here agree that recruiting is the major component to success in college wrestling.  Honest question - do you think Ben can recruit better than Barry?
JHI Mafia

Ghetto

Quote from: Barou on March 07, 2017, 12:42:41 PM
Most if not all of us on here agree that recruiting is the major component to success in college wrestling.  Honest question - do you think Ben can recruit better than Barry?

Absolutely. For a number of reasons.

1. He's a Wisconsin guy
2. He knows a ton of high level Wisconsin kids personally
3. He's still relevant because of MMA
4. He might get some guys who want to go the MMA route after college
5. While he comes off brash, he's very smart. There would be a plan put in place.
6. He'd be able to pull from a large assistant pool, which would drive recruiting.
7. I think Mitch Hull could work with Ben just like he does now with the Badger club
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

wrastle63

What qualifications ???

Considering he is an NCAA champ and finalist multiple times. He coached at the collegiate level. Askren is a much bigger person than Crass. People around the world know Askren not so much with Crass, which is huge for recruiting. Don't really think its much of a question why he would be better.

bigG

Yes, if this dream scenario were to happen, I agree that Mitch would be the weaning man; not BD.

Good points, Ghetto.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 07, 2017, 12:56:28 PM
What qualifications ???

Considering he is an NCAA champ and finalist multiple times. He coached at the collegiate level. Askren is a much bigger person than Crass. People around the world know Askren not so much with Crass, which is huge for recruiting. Don't really think its much of a question why he would be better.

In case you did not know  During his college career, Davis was a four-time NCAA Division I all-American, and a three-time Division I champion wrestler. He was named NCAA Outstanding Wrestler in 1985, and was also named the Big Ten Athlete of the Year that same year. Barry Davis' career record at Iowa was 162-9-1, also was champion in freestyle wrestling (125.4 lb) at the 1983 Pan American Games, and a member of the 1983 U.S. World wrestling team. In 1984, he took a redshirt year from college athletics, to compete on the 1984 U.S. Olympic freestyle wrestling team, winning a silver medal at the Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. Davis competed in World championships again in 1986 and 1987, earning a bronze medal and a silver, respectively. In 1988 he was once more a member of the U.S. Olympic freestyle wrestling team, but did not earn a medal. So that makes him better tan Askren in your scenario

Ghetto

I think you are having two different arguments. Entertaining though.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bkraus

I do not doubt that Ben could recruit the heck out of kids.  Look what he's done in a short time building his academies.  OK Max helped too.  But the name recognition is out there which I think would put him on par with some of the other coaches out there.  Developing the recruits would be my biggest concern.  Can he do that?  That would be the great unknown.  But I would like to think he could.  Seems like whatever Ben attaches his name to pretty much turns to gold.
Strive for Perfection

Barou

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on March 07, 2017, 01:13:19 PM
Quote from: wrastle63 on March 07, 2017, 12:56:28 PM
What qualifications ???

In case you did not know  During his college career, Davis was a four-time NCAA Division I all-American, and a three-time Division I champion wrestler. He was named NCAA Outstanding Wrestler in 1985, and was also named the Big Ten Athlete of the Year that same year. Barry Davis' career record at Iowa was 162-9-1, also was champion in freestyle wrestling (125.4 lb) at the 1983 Pan American Games, and a member of the 1983 U.S. World wrestling team. In 1984, he took a redshirt year from college athletics, to compete on the 1984 U.S. Olympic freestyle wrestling team, winning a silver medal at the Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. Davis competed in World championships again in 1986 and 1987, earning a bronze medal and a silver, respectively. In 1988 he was once more a member of the U.S. Olympic freestyle wrestling team, but did not earn a medal. So that makes him better tan Askren in your scenario

Did anybody say anything about the more accomplished wrestler?

If you want to go there, with all the information you provided which is nothing new to the vast majority of us old timer forum posters, how many kids know that or care?  I guarantee you more kids being recruited today can tell you Askren won the Hodge 2X's than can tell you BD won a silver medal.  Right, wrong, or indifferent that's the wrestling world we live in.  Askren was applying his own style dominating the college scene and added some much needed flare while BD is still preaching heavy hands at UW.  
JHI Mafia

Ivan Stankowski

wrastle63

Quote from: Ghetto on March 07, 2017, 01:15:11 PM
I think you are having two different arguments. Entertaining though.
lol can't read I guess

Razor Ramon

Quote from: Ghetto on March 07, 2017, 12:50:18 PM
Quote from: Barou on March 07, 2017, 12:42:41 PM

Absolutely. For a number of reasons.

1. He's a Wisconsin guy
2. He knows a ton of high level Wisconsin kids personally
3. He's still relevant because of MMA
4. He might get some guys who want to go the MMA route after college
5. While he comes off brash, he's very smart. There would be a plan put in place.
6. He'd be able to pull from a large assistant pool, which would drive recruiting.
7. I think Mitch Hull could work with Ben just like he does now with the Badger club

The assistant pool would consist of Max as his head assistant, and then he could bring in RT who plans to train for freestyle and can continue the Ohio connection for recruiting. Also, Mitch Hull is not with the Badger Club anymore, so that could open another opportunity to add somebody.

wrestler133

The assistant pool would consist of Max as his head assistant, and then he could bring in RT who plans to train for freestyle and can continue the Ohio connection for recruiting. Also, Mitch Hull is not with the Badger Club anymore, so that could open another opportunity to add somebody.
[/quote]

What happened to Mitch Hull?