Micah

1. Chris Bono
2. Mark Branch
3. Askren

ramjet

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 06, 2017, 02:51:29 PM
Quote from: ramjet on March 06, 2017, 02:05:18 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on March 06, 2017, 01:18:46 PM
Have to go for it all with where UW stands now and do something against the norm and maybe even unorthodox.  A type of all or nothing.  Might lead to great heights or could crash and burn  Need to hire a guy different from all the rest of coaches out there

One guys fits all that and it is Askren.  I think he is well worth taking that chance as soon as possible.

Any other hire is just something similar to what every Big Ten University has.

Imagine the UW brand all over Wisconsin in the Askren Wrestling Academies.  Can he stay close to all that and really create a Wisconsin atmosphere from youth wrestling to high school wrestling to college wrestling?  I am assuming his personal contact with high school athletes would have to be limited to NCAA rules.  What would be allowed by the NCAA here?

What stops UW from even competing with the private clubs now.  Why not have a UW wrestling center in Eau Claire, Green Bay, Fox Valley, Milwaukee, Madison, and Lacrosse.  Work with the WWF.  Or just work more closely with all the private clubs that already exist.

So now you want to take a public tax dollars to fund Wrestling centers (UW wrestling Centers) to compete against existing businesses? Use your head here my goodness........

In actuality if he was head coach he would have to be very careful of Conflict of Interest and maybe distance himself from his clubs some or let others run them. I have to believe it would be awful tough considering time commitments to do both. Why would Ben take a cut in pay to go the the UW? Unless its a matter of his motivation for success for that program and personal goals?

I was thinking the exact opposite.  I was thinking wrestling centers that actually made money and funneled that money back to the UW program hoping to create a better program.  These private clubs are making money I have to assume.  Wrestling camps/clubs and profits are what make programs and coaches money.  UW's camp system and outreach is quite poor.  I believe Askren would change that greatly maybe even outside of state lines. 

Made money how?  What initial funding, where would it come from the UW? if so that is a real issue. Tax payers would have real issue/problem using tax money to fund businesses that competed with privately owned businesses. Dumb idea why not just promote like Fader does in EC. It works kids love the wrestling at UWEC and they show an uptick in participation but the Private club there is building a wrestling community and program without using tax dollars. Grass roots effort.

Anyway I would like to see Askren get a shot Coaching this program for a 4 year contract to see what he can do.  But at present wages he would have to do it basically for charity as I suspect/guess he makes much more than they pay.

Micah

I would prefer Cunningham from PSU

wrestler_73

There have been many unproven coaches to have great success at the college and professional level.  At the very least we would be much better off than it is now with Ben.  It is also true that we are not the hot bed for wrestling consistently that Ohio and Pennsylvania is...but we can do much better.  Ben will take us to places as a program that we have not been since the 70's.  Excitement for UW wrestling will be something special.

Bottom line...even above Metcalf and other fine possibilities...Ben is invested in Wisconsin wrestling.  He could be running his academies I am sure in Missouri and be just fine.  He has decided to make his home here and will bleed deep red if given the opportunity.  Rising tide will lift all boats.

empty99

I have become a bit of a reluctant believer in Ben. As a HS coach, just seeing him on saturdays at tournements watching kids and networking, has made an impact. I've thought for a long time that the best kids want to wrestle for a coach that is just off international competition, and at their weight. I can picture those best kids telling their friends that they are going to wrestle for that guy, but success as a HC comes from the assistants that you can pull in. Right now, we have not had much for the light guys, and look at the results.

As to, how fast can you get results? The last time we had a high profile great assitant, we went to #4, and BD won coach of the yr. I don't care who is HC, as long as they are secure enough in themselves to hire great people to help.

My vote in for Troy Steiner.

Barou

Quote from: empty99 on March 06, 2017, 08:58:02 PM
I have become a bit of a reluctant believer in Ben. As a HS coach, just seeing him on saturdays at tournements watching kids and networking, has made an impact. I've thought for a long time that the best kids want to wrestle for a coach that is just off international competition, and at their weight. I can picture those best kids telling their friends that they are going to wrestle for that guy, but success as a HC comes from the assistants that you can pull in. Right now, we have not had much for the light guys, and look at the results.

As to, how fast can you get results? The last time we had a high profile great assitant, we went to #4, and BD won coach of the yr. I don't care who is HC, as long as they are secure enough in themselves to hire great people to help.

My vote in for Troy Steiner.

I'd be willing to bet Ben has a plethora of options that he could choose as his assistants in all different sizes.
JHI Mafia

whatever

First off, let me say one thing about Ben Askren.  He has developed a bit of a cult following in WI.  I am not one of them so it may surprise some people to see that I would very much like to see Ben get a shot (not that I think Alvarez gives a rip but who knows?)

A couple things I would say about Ben:

If I was to rank D1 college wrestlers of all time, Ben would be in my Top Ten.....right behind the best ever like Dan Gable, Cael Sanderson , Pat Smith, Kyle Dake, etc...  Sure, there is a multitude of 3 timers BUT Ben wrestled in 4 finals and won the last two.

In addition , I believe Ben had a huge impact on college wrestling styles today with his "funk" much like John Smith impacted college wrestling with his low single.  While I am not a huge fan of funk, Ben was also a big-time pinner like Wade Schalles.  I think Ben would have the capability to coach a wrestling style that would be successful AND exciting.  Those two characteristics seem to be a bit lacking under Davis' tenure.

Combine that with Ben's name recognition and his passion and I think he would be able to draw in some top- flight assistant coaches, as well.  Nothing against the current coaches but I think Ben could pull in guys like Jake Herbert, Kyle Dake, etc.   Pure conjecture on my part but it's my opinion.

Combine that with Ben's marketing skills and ability to promote wrestling.....

I would be 100% on board with seeing Ben take over the reins at UW.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

wrestler6

Tyler

Houndhead

Quote from: statman on March 06, 2017, 12:23:31 PM
For all those calling for Barry's head... Who out there is available and would do a better job coaching and recruiting.

1-Ben Askren
2-Donnie Pritzlaff (never happen as long as BA is AD)

bigG

Ben is the bomb; but Bono has proven himself. Still, you want change, you want Ben.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Huckfinn

Quote from: whatever on March 06, 2017, 09:02:15 PM
First off, let me say one thing about Ben Askren.  He has developed a bit of a cult following in WI.  I am not one of them so it may surprise some people to see that I would very much like to see Ben get a shot (not that I think Alvarez gives a rip but who knows?)

A couple things I would say about Ben:

If I was to rank D1 college wrestlers of all time, Ben would be in my Top Ten.....right behind the best ever like Dan Gable, Cael Sanderson , Pat Smith, Kyle Dake, etc...  Sure, there is a multitude of 3 timers BUT Ben wrestled in 4 finals and won the last two.

In addition , I believe Ben had a huge impact on college wrestling styles today with his "funk" much like John Smith impacted college wrestling with his low single.  While I am not a huge fan of funk, Ben was also a big-time pinner like Wade Schalles.  I think Ben would have the capability to coach a wrestling style that would be successful AND exciting.  Those two characteristics seem to be a bit lacking under Davis' tenure.

Combine that with Ben's name recognition and his passion and I think he would be able to draw in some top- flight assistant coaches, as well.  Nothing against the current coaches but I think Ben could pull in guys like Jake Herbert, Kyle Dake, etc.   Pure conjecture on my part but it's my opinion.

Combine that with Ben's marketing skills and ability to promote wrestling.....

I would be 100% on board with seeing Ben take over the reins at UW.

If you aren't Ben Askren's agent you should be.

Ivan Stankowski

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 07, 2017, 10:59:40 AM
Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on March 07, 2017, 10:55:00 AM
Crass
Hard to even compare him to Ben.

Did I try comparing the 2? and please explain why? They are both hypothetical candidates so what makes one so much better than the other?

I honestly think he would do a good job, but that is JMO

wrastle63

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on March 07, 2017, 11:02:40 AM
Quote from: wrastle63 on March 07, 2017, 10:59:40 AM
Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on March 07, 2017, 10:55:00 AM
Crass
Hard to even compare him to Ben.

Did I try comparing the 2? and please explain why? They are both hypothetical candidates so what makes one so much better than the other?

I honestly think he would do a good job, but that is JMO
Qualifications