who is out there

Started by statman, March 06, 2017, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

statman

For all those calling for Barry's head... Who out there is available and would do a better job coaching and recruiting.
they don't call me statman for nothin

BuckyMatt

Barou

JHI Mafia

Ghetto

Can we wait until the end of the season for this? There are guys who would make a break to the B1G for sure.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigG

Quote from: Ghetto on March 06, 2017, 12:41:20 PM
Can we wait until the end of the season for this? There are guys who would make a break to the B1G for sure.

+1

(but Ben would be my first choice) :)
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DocWrestling

Have to go for it all with where UW stands now and do something against the norm and maybe even unorthodox.  A type of all or nothing.  Might lead to great heights or could crash and burn  Need to hire a guy different from all the rest of coaches out there

One guys fits all that and it is Askren.  I think he is well worth taking that chance as soon as possible.

Any other hire is just something similar to what every Big Ten University has.

Imagine the UW brand all over Wisconsin in the Askren Wrestling Academies.  Can he stay close to all that and really create a Wisconsin atmosphere from youth wrestling to high school wrestling to college wrestling?  I am assuming his personal contact with high school athletes would have to be limited to NCAA rules.  What would be allowed by the NCAA here?

What stops UW from even competing with the private clubs now.  Why not have a UW wrestling center in Eau Claire, Green Bay, Fox Valley, Milwaukee, Madison, and Lacrosse.  Work with the WWF.  Or just work more closely with all the private clubs that already exist.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

sudden_victory

Life is a bowl of cherries.

Tims

Just wanted to add a different perspective.  First off for all the people asking for Ben Askren to be the head coach to replace Barry Davis.  Please tell me what qualifies him to be the head coach? Other than being from Wisconsin who had a successful collegiate career. I understand the love affair for a homegrown kid, and I have heard nothing but great things about Askren so this is not an indictment on him.   I think Ben Askrens best spot is to build a factory of an academy and produce top level high school talent to help feed D1 schools.  Preferably Wisconsin

What I think people don't understand or don't want to understand when they are comparing Wisconsin to the Ohio States, OSU, The Iowa's   Penn State etc.  These top tier programs have been good forever.  They have built a network of great wrestlers going back and coaching high schools and academies across the country and feeding their alma maters.  How else does Iowa Pull in Spencer Lee, or Michael Kemmerer (Strittmatter/Young Guns).  Pinnacle Jared Lawrence and Brandon Paulson (Minnesota) Michigan with Murphy and Micic (Bormet/Overtime wrestling connection).  As Wisconsin, has certainly benefited from Jeff Jordan, as has Ohio State, even Ben Askren since starting has a part of this with Missouri (Jacob Rashka).  

A state they should certainly be complaining is Illinois. The college has yet to capitalize on youth and high School level success and academies across the state.

I am an Iowa Hawkeye fan and have been all of my wrestling life.  I do however cheer for the Badgers being that my son wrestles there now, and quietly the Indiana teams.  

Success at the college level isn't just about replacing one guy.  As most coaches' will tell you it's who else is in the room who are the assistants?   I think the Badgers have a great group of coaches in there right now. Adding Cam Eppert down low will help the light weights (side note) his brother helps run CIA in Indiana now and that will give an inside track to talent from the Hoosier state.  Remember that this team that they had fielded this year was a very young inexperienced team that they developed and did very well with. This team this year was supposed to be loaded with Juniors and Seniors.  McCaully?  Peterson?  Thielke?  Taylor? Laux? Am I missing anyone?  

Tim Spray

ramjet

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 06, 2017, 01:18:46 PM
Have to go for it all with where UW stands now and do something against the norm and maybe even unorthodox.  A type of all or nothing.  Might lead to great heights or could crash and burn  Need to hire a guy different from all the rest of coaches out there

One guys fits all that and it is Askren.  I think he is well worth taking that chance as soon as possible.

Imagine the UW brand all over Wisconsin in the Askren Wrestling Academies.  Can he stay close to all that and really create a Wisconsin atmosphere from youth wrestling to high school wrestling to college wrestling?  I am assuming his personal contact with high school athletes would have to be limited to NCAA rules.  What would be allowed by the NCAA here?

What stops UW from even competing with the private clubs now.  Why not have a UW wrestling center in Eau Claire, Green Bay, Fox Valley, Milwaukee, Madison, and Lacrosse.  Work with the WWF.  Or just work more closely with all the private clubs that already exist.

So now you want to take a public tax dollars to fund Wrestling centers (UW wrestling Centers) to compete against existing businesses? Use your head here my goodness........

In actuality if he was head coach he would have to be very careful of Conflict of Interest and maybe distance himself from his clubs some or let others run them. I have to believe it would be awful tough considering time commitments to do both. Why would Ben take a cut in pay to go the the UW? Unless its a matter of his motivation for success for that program and personal goals?

Barou

Quote from: Tims on March 06, 2017, 01:56:35 PM
Just wanted to add a different perspective.  First off for all the people asking for Ben Askren to be the head coach to replace Barry Davis.  Please tell me what qualifies him to be the head coach? Other than being from Wisconsin who had a successful collegiate career. I understand the love affair for a homegrown kid, and I have heard nothing but great things about Askren so this is not an indictment on him.   I think Ben Askrens best spot is to build a factory of an academy and produce top level high school talent to help feed D1 schools.  Preferably Wisconsin

What I think people don't understand or don't want to understand when they are comparing Wisconsin to the Ohio States, OSU, The Iowa's   Penn State etc.  These top tier programs have been good forever.  They have built a network of great wrestlers going back and coaching high schools and academies across the country and feeding their alma maters.  How else does Iowa Pull in Spencer Lee, or Michael Kemmerer (Strittmatter/Young Guns).  Pinnacle Jared Lawrence and Brandon Paulson (Minnesota) Michigan with Murphy and Micic (Bormet/Overtime wrestling connection).  As Wisconsin, has certainly benefited from Jeff Jordan, as has Ohio State, even Ben Askren since starting has a part of this with Missouri (Jacob Rashka).  

A state they should certainly be complaining is Illinois. The college has yet to capitalize on youth and high School level success and academies across the state.

I am an Iowa Hawkeye fan and have been all of my wrestling life.  I do however cheer for the Badgers being that my son wrestles there now, and quietly the Indiana teams.  

Success at the college level isn't just about replacing one guy.  As most coaches' will tell you it's who else is in the room who are the assistants?   I think the Badgers have a great group of coaches in there right now. Adding Cam Eppert down low will help the light weights (side note) his brother helps run CIA in Indiana now and that will give an inside track to talent from the Hoosier state.  Remember that this team that they had fielded this year was a very young inexperienced team that they developed and did very well with. This team this year was supposed to be loaded with Juniors and Seniors.  McCaully?  Peterson?  Thielke?  Taylor? Laux? Am I missing anyone?  

Tim Spray

What also qualifies Ben Askren is he has coached at the collegiate level (Arizona State for sure, maybe Mizzo also?).  Storied wrestling career as a competitor and experience as an assistant.  Sounds like the resume of basically every D1 coach out there right now.  Plus he has better name recognition than BD both in Wisconsin and nationally.  Also, Alvarez always talks about getting coaches at UW where it is their "destination" job so they won't run off to the biggest bidder after some success.  With Askren's roots and business in WI I'd be willing to bet this might be his destination job.  You're right, one person can't do it.  Like every other HC Ben would put together his own team.  You're wrong though by saying PSU and OSU are among programs that have been good forever.  Those two programs pre-Sanderson and pre-Ryan were major underachievers for a long time. 

Truth is Askren would take UW to another level.  Even the supporters know it.  He has recruiting ties, is not socially inept like BD, is visible across the state, stays relevant through radio broadcasts and his academies, and seems to be successful in all his ventures.  The supporters don's want Askren to get a shot because they don't want to hear "I told you so".

I assume you have personal connections with the program and have established relationships with people involved as you stated your son is in the program.  I have no reason to believe they haven't treated you and your family very fairly.  There are a lot of hard workers on the team.  Best of luck to the national qualifiers and best of luck to your son and his future with the Badgers.
JHI Mafia

Tims

Those that know me know that my relationship with the coaches good or bad would not keep me from stating my own opinion. Ben Askren was a volunteer assistant with both of those programs as he was still competing. No different than the role Nazar plays.  I don't believe Trevor Brandvold or Kyle Ruschell have intentions of bolting to something else as Trevor is also a in state kid.

Do I think Ben Askrens name Recognition could help? Yes! But I also think he needs to be in the room as an assistant coach somewhere first(maybe UW?) before just leap frogging these guys that are putting in the time.

To your comment about PSU and OSU. True that Cael and Tom Ryan has been able to take these two programs to another level.  However These are two hotbed wrestling states.  PSU had great teams in the 70's 80's and 90's then fell off in the early 2000's .  OSU had some really good teams with many NCCA champs During Iowa's dynasty.  But they were in what I call the same boat that Illinois is in right now where they had really good college seasons but had a tremendous amount of success at the high school and youth level. 

Tim

DocWrestling

Quote from: ramjet on March 06, 2017, 02:05:18 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on March 06, 2017, 01:18:46 PM

So now you want to take a public tax dollars to fund Wrestling centers (UW wrestling Centers) to compete against existing businesses? Use your head here my goodness........

In actuality if he was head coach he would have to be very careful of Conflict of Interest and maybe distance himself from his clubs some or let others run them. I have to believe it would be awful tough considering time commitments to do both. Why would Ben take a cut in pay to go the the UW? Unless its a matter of his motivation for success for that program and personal goals?

I was thinking the exact opposite.  I was thinking wrestling centers that actually made money and funneled that money back to the UW program hoping to create a better program.  These private clubs are making money I have to assume.  Wrestling camps/clubs and profits are what make programs and coaches money.  UW's camp system and outreach is quite poor.  I believe Askren would change that greatly maybe even outside of state lines. 

DocWrestling

Askren will not have the paper resume that other coaches that apply for the job have but that is why I was saying UW has to think outside of the box and take a chance in an unorthodox matter.

They could hire just about anyone to get the results they have been getting and that is why you need a replacement even if Brandvold replaced Barry.  Need to take a chance to move up.  Not that far to fall back.

Badgers will struggle to have anyone place top 5 in the Big Ten's next year.

jets152

I would've had a chance in WISAA.

wrastle63