Stratford

Started by Wrestlologist, February 20, 2017, 08:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkKnight

Quote from: Wrestlologist on February 22, 2017, 10:46:39 PM
To Coleman wrestlers and fans: In my original post, I did not say Coleman was a middle school team. In my effort to simply congratulate Stratford, I tried to convey my opinion that Stratford was a Level above even the second best D3 team in the state this year.  Sorry if I inadvertently disrespected Coleman. I took out the reference to Coleman from the original post.
LEVELS. I have been an observer of Wisconsin wrestling since we had a 95# weight class. I watched every four time champ take the top step. That shows my age.  It's always interesting to me to see the different levels of wrestling.  When a coach picks a young boy out of phy ed class because he shows potential for toughness, that is the first Level.  When the boy gets his first win, that is the next Level.  When the young man makes his high school team, another Level is achieved. When the wrestler wins his first junior varsity match, he jumps up a Level.  When the wrestler makes varsity on his team, he achieves another Level. When the varsity wrestler wins his first match against a varsity wrestler from another team, another Level. When the wrestler places high enough at Regionals to make it to Sectionals, he is achieving a higher Level.  When the wrestler earns a paid trip to State and the school has a pep rally for him, he really has risen to a new high Level.  When the wrestler wins a state championship, he has reached a Level that feels good the rest of his life.  When the wrestler wins multiple championships, he has reached a level achieved by few other people.  Then he gets to college and an average wrestler beats him.  After a lot more work, he finally wins more matches than he loses and he has achieved another Level. After winning a national title, another Level is earned.  Then a run at the Olympics looks promising.  Another Level.  It never seems to end. Even the top Level three time gold medal holder Russian Aleksandr Karelin was defeated by a Wyoming farm boy named Rulon Gardner in his last match.  On that day Gardner was at the top Level.
My point is that Coleman is at a high Level this year. They are ranked number 2 in Division III and won a 60 team tournament in Oshkosh plus other awards. However, Stratford appears to be at a higher Level right now.  I do not have disrespect for Coleman, only respect for Stratford. Congratulations.
Looking at the comments on this post, no wonder the number of posts and posters keeps going down each year.  This used to be an exciting time to be reading this forum.  Not anymore.

It's all fine. Stratford is really a team loaded with a  ton of college talent. They have 5 returning champs, and a 106lber and 126lber in serious contention, and 132lb Drexler is a darkhorse to take down Hansen. Had they had their 113lb Schwabe healthy, he would have given Caleb Gross a heck of a match and be in state title contention, though I feel Caleb would have beaten Schwabe by 2 points. I might be wrong however, I know Schwabe is a special wrestler and i felt bad he couldnt get to state.

They didnt have all 14 wrestlers ranked for no reason.

bigG

Quote from: Wrestlologist on February 23, 2017, 10:05:00 AM
Quote from: bigG on February 23, 2017, 07:05:20 AM

So, because you can't see how that was a cut to Coleman, you're turned off.  Come on, man. You've had great posts on this forum; but the one that started this thread was otta whack. Saying they beat Coleman handily is fine; but you have to know that comparing a great team to middle schoolers is gonna catch you some heat. I'm sure you can remember when Stratford was beaten quite handily; since you've been into wrestling for so long. Put the shoe on the other foot.

Take a look at how many titles Rapids has accumulated, and Coleman. To prematurely call Strat the team of the century is a bit stretchy, no? They haven't won one, yet. Someone with your knowledge of the sport can't be so blind to see that Stratford is a great up-and-coming team. Hope they stay that way. Better competition means more involvement, IMHO.

The only issue I had was the blatant disrespect (and arrogance to say what you did) to Coleman, then flipping and saying Strat woulda coulda beat Stoughton. You can't call a team of the century on variables that can't be tested.

Can we just agree that Stratford is excellent and peaking without the hyperbole/cutdowns?

I'm sure you're a nice guy and great fan. I also hope you enjoy the tourneys to come. You just took a very good team and tried to make a case of their being the best in WI history, essentially, without winning a single championship, yet. No matter how dominant they are; they did lose. Live with it.

Best of luck to Strat. Sorry your feelings are hurt, Wrestlologist. Sorry, also, if I came down too hard on you. But I think your enthusiasm may have carried you a bit far in that post. Hey, believe or not I've made posts for which I later wished I hadn't hit "post."

You're good. Stay positive.

BigG, I don't need or want your permission or suggestions of how to post on this forum.  I've read many of your 24 thousand posts over the years and many of them aren't worth the power to light the pixels on my computer screen.
BigG: Facts are hard for some people. Reread the original post.  Fact is I never said Stratford was the team of the century. Never mentioned team of the century at all.  I never said Stratford coulda, woulda beat Stoughton. Never mentioned Stoughton at all.  I never said Stratford is the best in WI history. Never said any team was the best in WI history.  
BigG, I give you credit -- you hide your intelligence well.

While the little finger on my right hand often hovers above the Enter key until I feel that my post will add something interesting or different to the conversation, I don't regret my original post or any post I have ever made. I only regret the posts I deleted before hitting Enter.

This year at Team Sectionals Stratford DID make Coleman LOOK LIKE a middle school team. They also made the other team in the finals LOOK LIKE a grade school team.  Next year Coleman may make Stratford LOOK LIKE a preschool team. That's why I watch wrestling every year. Every year and every wrestler is different. Enjoy the action at Madison!

Sorry I'm not worth your pixels. I was trying to be nice to you. Won't make that mistake again. "How many years of success will it take before everyone roots against them like Rapids?" Can you count, great wrestling fan? Thought you've been watching for years. 0 championships v. 7 in a row. maybe then. talk about over-gloating.

If Coleman thumped Strat 8 years ago and talked about Stratford looking like middle schoolers, I bet some Strat folks, including yourself, would be a little miffed.

Sorry I wasted my time on your super-experienced self. Stay happy.

best of luck to Stratford and the rest of the teams in D3. Nice crew!
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

RedDawn1966

From what I know Stratford would absolutly destroy Stoughton right now if they wrestled again, totally destroy by like 40-18 score or something prolly from what I know about both teams.

bigG

Yep. Would coulda. They have a great team. Let's win one before comparing them to a dynasty, though. Or, go ahead and look like an Ologist; who claims to know many decades worth of wrestling, but just can't predict when this fine team will be cheered against like a dynastic power house.

Hopefully, next year they'll beat Stoughton, and maybe enter the Cheese, so they can keep climbing the ladder. Hope they do. Most of their fans seem cool. Even the best teams have that "wish he'd shut up" guy. Now we know Stratford's. ;)

RedDawn1966

Quote from: bigG on February 23, 2017, 03:04:01 PM
Yep. Would coulda. They have a great team. Let's win one before comparing them to a dynasty, though. Or, go ahead and look like an Ologist; who claims to know many decades worth of wrestling, but just can't predict when this fine team will be cheered against like a dynastic power house.

Hopefully, next year they'll beat Stoughton, and maybe enter the Cheese, so they can keep climbing the ladder. Hope they do. Most of their fans seem cool. Even the best teams have that "wish he'd shut up" guy. Now we know Stratford's. ;)

Im not saying Stoughton aint good cuz they are I'm just saying from what I know (not fact just what I know) is that Stratford is the most domnant team since about 1980 or 1981 from what I know.

bigG

IG in 04 was pretty BA. LC 2002-2005 was scary. Rapids 95-99 was unreal.

Stratford does have a chance to make some history, though. Fun to watch. They also seem to be priming at the right time.

head57

Quote from: RedDawn1966 on February 23, 2017, 03:18:16 PM

Im not saying Stoughton aint good cuz they are I'm just saying from what I know (not fact just what I know) is that Stratford is the most domnant team since about 1980 or 1981 from what I know.

What are you basing this on? Winning the Bi-State? That's an extremely bold statement. I'm curious to hear the reasons you feel that way.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

bigoil

BigG - Maybe sledge moved  ;D

bigG

LOL! Choked on my coffee. ;D Good start to a great day. Thanks. 8)

Kyle

Quote from: bigG on February 23, 2017, 02:37:41 PM"How many years of success will it take before everyone roots against them like Rapids?"

I am rooting against them this year. Their wrestlers are a class act but their fans were obnoxious at the conference tournament. I guess I am rooting against their fans. I know that doesn't make sense, but that's what it is.  :)
Kyle

bigG

Kyle

Houndhead

Quote from: Kyle on February 24, 2017, 07:13:01 AM
Quote from: bigG on February 23, 2017, 02:37:41 PM"How many years of success will it take before everyone roots against them like Rapids?"

I am rooting against them this year. Their wrestlers are a class act but their fans were obnoxious at the conference tournament. I guess I am rooting against their fans. I know that doesn't make sense, but that's what it is.  :)
Kyle

I heard there was a little bruhaha amongst fans at the conference tournament.

jaguarwrestler

yes this is probably the most dominant Stratford team... but not team. You have some teams in the last 20 years that have had 15-20 individual state titles in their team starters.... for example you look at a team someone brings to regionals and count the number of state titles won by that starting line-up some are near 15-20 titles from one team over the career of the starters. The 90's Athens teams, Rapids teams around 2010 I think and L-C in about 2005-2006 are some sick teams. I think the one L-C team only gave up like 30 points in the 4 matches between team section and team state. They placed 11 with 4 champs in one year. To match that Stratford would need to place all 11 they brought.... very possible but I guess we will see. They are a very good team, I have no problem admitting that.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

RedDawn1966

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on February 24, 2017, 12:43:54 PM

yes this is probably the most dominant Stratford team... but not team. You have some teams in the last 20 years that have had 15-20 individual state titles in their team starters.... for example you look at a team someone brings to regionals and count the number of state titles won by that starting line-up some are near 15-20 titles from one team over the career of the starters. The 90's Athens teams, Rapids teams around 2010 I think and L-C in about 2005-2006 are some sick teams. I think the one L-C team only gave up like 30 points in the 4 matches between team section and team state. They placed 11 with 4 champs in one year. To match that Stratford would need to place all 11 they brought.... very possible but I guess we will see. They are a very good team, I have no problem admitting that.

Well they say a sum is greater than all of the parts of a team and Stratford has easily all the parts and all on the same cylinder all firing at once.  We can not agree but I still say thisnStratfordnteam the best from what I know since 1981.