De Pere... the real story

Started by Believe It, February 17, 2017, 07:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog

Quote from: knight/purgolder on February 19, 2017, 01:57:31 PM
Maybe enough people boycott the tournament then it won't be the elite tournament that it is!  And bulldog Kaukana and the other team strategically told the WIAA! And I do hope this shows people to mind their own business! Just PATHETIC!

It IS Kaukauna's business and they were minding it. I have stated this half a dozen times but let's try again. The WIAA is "policed" by their members. So a rule violation would be the "business" of all coaches and ADs that are employed by WIAA member school. What "strategy" do you think Kaukuana had that benefited them by reporting De Pere...if they did. Funny how Kakuana was the school that was named but the other school was not.

So knight/purgolder...Are you saying teams should ignore rule violations of other teams because you don't think this is their "business?

bulldog

maggie

just got Ta thinking   :o    Someone out there might be Thanking The Good Lord right now that they're not a chicken farmer... :o...blackmail in cases like these can a lifetime... :)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Nailbender

Ok, I've been away for a week and haven't been able to keep up on all of this in it's entirety and I apologize if this answer is on here some where already.... This is just horrible for the kids who have literally put their entire life into this wonderful sport, however, I do understand the violation. My question is this; As a parent of a student athlete, I have just always assumed that the WIAA approves each team's schedules prior to the start of the season. Clearly, this is not correct, and clearly their has been a violation for a couple years. How does a school assure their schedule is in compliance? After this unfortunate mishap, do you feel the WIAA will start being more pro-active at the start of the season rather than having to be so re-active now? (Which I'm very sure was a hard call on their part)

Again, not blaming anybody here. I have just always assumed the WIAA had to approve each sports schedule prior to participating in it.

ckwrestler

Maybe this could be a feature request submitted to track wrestling. 

Event organizers categorize their event and submit to track wrestling.  Every event type is mandatory.
Participants then find event and add to schedule.
Teams then finalize schedule through track.
Schedule is then automatically accepted or denied based on rules built into schedule builder.

you can't argue with the zeros and ones of a computer.

wraslfan

Quote from: Believe It on February 17, 2017, 07:54:44 PM
So here goes.  Our AD was notified by an AD at another school in our conference that our schedule was in violation of the rules.  This notification was made to us the Friday after our last dual February 3rd.  Which school told us and how long they new for I am not getting into.  The De Pere AD notified the Wiaa immediately afterit was brought to his attention.  So self reported yes, self discovered no.  We supplied the Wiaa with a spreadsheet with all our matches, dates, what events and how they were classified (jv or varsity).  The wiaa worked with our AD and head coach to find a way to make us eligible for regionals that night.  NO information was left off the spreadsheet, so the Wiaa's claim that they had new information is 100% false.  I was not in on the call that told us we were eligible so how the wiaa interpreted that information I do not know.  We were told this Wednesday February 15th that due to new information the Wiaa was ruling us ineligible as of 7:00 am the next morning.  The Wiaa informed us that two member schools had informed them that we wrestled an illegal schedule (a fact that we never disputed) and they needed to review the information.  Everything that happened at the appeal has been well discussed on the other De Pere thread, and most of the information is correct.  Now, I myself take responsibility for the mistake.  I do not do the scheduling but I have been involved in this program for 11 years now and I know better than to put my faith in individuals who do not appreciate the sport of wrestling as much as I do.  I have coached most of these wrestlers since they were in grade school.  I failed them.  They do not deserve to be punished but that is the ruling that was given to them, and I have to live with that.  We appreciate all the support we have received in the past few days.  I told our kids to keep their heads up!  If people feel the need to try to take you down then you have already won.  Three years ago nobody would have said a word if De Pere had wrestled in 30 events, and that is a credit to the hard work these young MEN have put in to make De Pere Wrestling relevant.  It will be hard for them to understand the ruling nor do I expect them too. I would ask people to only speak on this matter if you are educated on the situation, which I hope I have helped with, and not make dumb comments and then hide behind your screen name.

Thank You,
Brian Corrigan
Did the Coach/AD who brought this to the attention of the Depere AD and the ultimately the WIAA wait until Depere wrestled the additional event BEFORE bringing this to your attention? Or did they just conveniently happen to notice this immediately after you wrestled the additional event?

davebrandvold

Good morning.  There are multiple layers to this story.  The truth is always somewhere in between.   I know how badly everyone feels for the athletes.  Athletic disciplinary action always affects kids whether they are in high school or college.  I just wish to clarify and add one solution to your posts.
   The WIAA does not have the manpower to approve or manage schedules.  It is not their job. 
   Asst. Director Wade Labecki has information we are not privy to and the timing of him receiving information is known only to him.   
   The rules are laid out and it is up to the coaches and AD's to set appropriate schedules that follow the WIAA regulation.
   The coach has the responsibility to make sure kids participate in the correct number of events, quarters, halves, periods depending on the sport.   As a former coach, this was ALWAYS my responsibility.  We worked with 9 duals and 5 multi which included any JV tourneys that you may schedule.
    With 7 and 7 duals and multi events, double and triple duals, conference events, etc., scheduling has become slightly more confusing but manageable.  If these events are exceeded, there is a consequence.  If an organizational rule is broken, the team should expect to pay the penalty and it is clearly stated to all membership schools what the consequences are.

A solution:   Go to a straight MATCH COUNT per individual wrestler.  In our sport, it makes sense as many schools need to search out double and triple duals for travel and to obtain matches for the athletes.  This would allow for each team to build a schedule that fits their number of athletes best.
    Count each individual match on JV and Varsity the same.   WWCA leaders, please be bold and let's all work to KEEP Wisconsin Wrestling Great.

bulldog

Quote from: wraslfan on February 20, 2017, 07:29:27 AM
So here goes.  Our AD was notified by an AD at another school in our conference that our schedule was in violation of the rules.  This notification was made to us the Friday after our last dual February 3rd.  Which school told us and how long they new for I am not getting into.  The De Pere AD notified the Wiaa immediately afterit was brought to his attention.  So self reported yes, self discovered no.  We supplied the Wiaa with a spreadsheet with all our matches, dates, what events and how they were classified (jv or varsity).  The wiaa worked with our AD and head coach to find a way to make us eligible for regionals that night.  NO information was left off the spreadsheet, so the Wiaa's claim that they had new information is 100% false.  I was not in on the call that told us we were eligible so how the wiaa interpreted that information I do not know.  We were told this Wednesday February 15th that due to new information the Wiaa was ruling us ineligible as of 7:00 am the next morning.  The Wiaa informed us that two member schools had informed them that we wrestled an illegal schedule (a fact that we never disputed) and they needed to review the information.  Everything that happened at the appeal has been well discussed on the other De Pere thread, and most of the information is correct.  Now, I myself take responsibility for the mistake.  I do not do the scheduling but I have been involved in this program for 11 years now and I know better than to put my faith in individuals who do not appreciate the sport of wrestling as much as I do.  I have coached most of these wrestlers since they were in grade school.  I failed them.  They do not deserve to be punished but that is the ruling that was given to them, and I have to live with that.  We appreciate all the support we have received in the past few days.  I told our kids to keep their heads up!  If people feel the need to try to take you down then you have already won.  Three years ago nobody would have said a word if De Pere had wrestled in 30 events, and that is a credit to the hard work these young MEN have put in to make De Pere Wrestling relevant.  It will be hard for them to understand the ruling nor do I expect them too. I would ask people to only speak on this matter if you are educated on the situation, which I hope I have helped with, and not make dumb comments and then hide behind your screen name.

Thank You,
Brian Corrigan
Did the Coach/AD who brought this to the attention of the Depere AD and the ultimately the WIAA wait until Depere wrestled the additional event BEFORE bringing this to your attention? Or did they just conveniently happen to notice this immediately after you wrestled the additional event?

The information from other posts indicate that De Pere had extra meets/tournaments on their schedule for the past couple years. Maybe the coach/AD first noticed it this year or maybe someone brought it to their attention.

bulldog

Quote from: H. Hogan on February 19, 2017, 10:52:23 PM
Quote from: Andersonman1234 on February 19, 2017, 02:26:24 PM
Maybe enough people boycott the tournament then it won't be the elite tournament that it is!  And bulldog Kaukana and the other team strategically told the WIAA! And I do hope this shows people to mind their own business! Just PATHETIC!
Yeah isn't it just pathetic of kaukauna to follow the rules. But it's not pathetic that depere can't follow the rules hmm.

Kaukauna follows the rules....Ha that's  fresh!
Ask some of thier former wrestlers about them following the skin fold rules! 😂😂😂😂

Skin Fold issues is a whole other thread...and unless you are willing to share solid evidence that Kaukauna has actually violated a skin fold rule this post is right up there with CNN and Fake News. Don't turn the spotlight on another team unless you have proof you want to present to the WIAA about a violation. Coming on the forum and making these kind of statements about a specific team undermines the hard work their athletes have put into the sport. With this post you are judging the Kaukauna program based on hearsay. Unless you have proof. If you do...pass it onto the WIAA. 

maggie

Thanks Coach B....Maybe it's time the WIAA Looked into doing just that, sounds at tho it sure would help a lot of AD's and Coaches
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

wraslfan

Quote from: bulldog on February 20, 2017, 07:42:11 AM
Quote from: wraslfan on February 20, 2017, 07:29:27 AM

Thank You,
Brian Corrigan

The information from other posts indicate that De Pere had extra meets/tournaments on their schedule for the past couple years. Maybe the coach/AD first noticed it this year or maybe someone brought it to their attention.
I saw that as well (that they may have been in violation for the last two years). Further evidence to me that it was not intentional thing for Depere. It also led to my question, why did those who reported the infraction wait until after they wrestled the meet that put them over the limit before bringing it to the attention of their AD and subsequently the WIAA? I have a hard time believing that was just coincidental.  

onwisconsin

Looks like they self reported on Feb. 3rd.   They wrestled Bay Port on February 2nd.   Someone likely waited till the convenient time.   

Agree, since was the 2nd year with the schedule it had to be unintentional.

Total match limit is the way to go.   

Barou

I think the timing is very suspicious as well.  De Pere self reports on 2/2 which is 10 days before regionals.  After the WIAA happens to reverse their own decision of probation they deliver the knock out to De Pere on 2/8 (or 2/9?) which puts De Pere in an almost impossible time restraint to get an injunction from a Judge delaying the discipline and assuring De Pere and its student athletes the opportunity of a more timely and objective due process.  You don't think Dave Anderson and the WIAA professionals remember how they handled the Lampe situation and how he ended up competing through the state tournament?
JHI Mafia

Andersonman1234

Quote from: H. Hogan on February 19, 2017, 10:52:23 PM
Quote from: Andersonman1234 on February 19, 2017, 02:26:24 PM
Yeah isn't it just pathetic of kaukauna to follow the rules. But it's not pathetic that depere can't follow the rules hmm.

Kaukauna follows the rules....Ha that's  fresh!
Ask some of thier former wrestlers about them following the skin fold rules! 😂😂😂😂
Like what's an example of them breaking the skin fold I'd like for you to share. If you know this about them.

jeast

I'm in complete agreement with Dave B.

Other sports get a lot more exposure of late. BB season has been extended. Volleyball, baseball/softball and even track.  But wrestling is still stuck in the 70's on competition. 

The rule is still a rule, and needs to be enforced equally across the board, but...the rule needs to be changed.
"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"