WIAA and possible proposed changes

Started by ElectricGuy, February 10, 2017, 07:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

Nobody remembers the kid who comes through a watered down Regional. What if the experience of making it to Sectionals, changes his life?
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

ramjet

Quote from: woody53 on February 12, 2017, 05:50:21 PM
Nobody remembers the kid who comes through a watered down Regional. What if the experience of making it to Sectionals, changes his life?

Oh for crying out loud,  really, you are going with the Liberal "it's for the children" approach? Laughable.......This is high school young adults not children......

woody53

Quote from: ramjet on February 12, 2017, 05:52:28 PM
Quote from: woody53 on February 12, 2017, 05:50:21 PM

Oh for crying out loud,  really, you are going with the Liberal "it's for the children" approach? Laughable.......This is high school young adults not children......
What makes you think I am a Liberal with my comment?
Pretty sure I have had a great experience in Wisconsin Wrestling because of the breaks i got back in the 70's that changed mt life. Everyone that knows me, knows i sucked back then. Yet here I am am still a part of the sport 45 years later.

MNbadger

Woody, you have to understand something.  Ramjet is an angry being.  He blames everything he either disagrees with or doesn't understand on "liberals" (which he really could not define anyway). 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

ramjet

What about the really good kid who has stay home put in allot time and effort only to be upstaged because of a flawed and beuacratic system and feel good policies what about his feelings?

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

That's what I thought no answer to that question.

Combining those Regionals do nothing to take the opportunity from the wrestlers in fact it legitimizes the sectional qualification.

gijd

I guess the only solution is to win. I'm sure even in some of the weaker regionals there may have been a solid wrestler that took third and could have done some damage in the sectional. Bottom line, you only control what's in front of you. Win your still in, and lose your season is done. As far as "you snooze you lose in the workplace in the real world" I've seen plenty of people over the years not carry their weight and still keep their employment. It's not a perfect system and I don't know what the answer is make it that way.

woody53

Quote from: ramjet on February 12, 2017, 06:04:59 PM
What about the really good kid who has stay home put in allot time and effort only to be upstaged because of a flawed and beuacratic system and feel good policies what about his feelings?
Sorry I was eating Supper and i did not respond quick enough. If you do not like the system. Change it. Are you part of the Coaches Association?
That has the power to influence the WIAA. If everyone gets on the same page.

ramjet

Quote from: woody53 on February 12, 2017, 06:23:43 PM
Quote from: ramjet on February 12, 2017, 06:04:59 PM
Sorry I was eating Supper and i did not respond quick enough. If you do not like the system. Change it. Are you part of the Coaches Association?
That has the power to influence the WIAA. If everyone gets on the same page.

I am not and that's part of the issue the same page thing. We agree on that 👍

Coach Q

The Division 2 and 3 coaches were surveyed on this very topic last year after discussions with the WIAA were held on the subject. The coaches simply Chose to not combine regionals. A choice was to keep the status quo over combining regionals together and there were valid points on both sides of the discussion. Ramjet obviously feels strongly in favor but the statewide responses were against combining. Please feel free to join the Association to get your voice and vote heard.

Micah

Kids getting byes at sectionals is ridiculous time to reduce weight classes (10-11 weights) or reduce divisions for individual state.  If you reduced divisions you could just have a super regional and wrestle a round or two on Friday to avoid the 5 match limit.

ramjet

Quote from: gijd on February 12, 2017, 06:18:31 PM
I guess the only solution is to win. I'm sure even in some of the weaker regionals there may have been a solid wrestler that took third and could have done some damage in the sectional. Bottom line, you only control what's in front of you. Win your still in, and lose your season is done. As far as "you snooze you lose in the workplace in the real world" I've seen plenty of people over the years not carry their weight and still keep their employment. It's not a perfect system and I don't know what the answer is make it that way.

You are wrong third place wrestlers out of the "weak" regionals will not do any damage in the Sectional or could they. That's the reality. Now a solid 3 rd place wrestler from a tough competitive Rehiknal with winning record absolutely could. Those are the wrestlers that should and could get that shot in combined Regionals.

ramjet

Quote from: Coach Q on February 12, 2017, 07:28:20 PM
The Division 2 and 3 coaches were surveyed on this very topic last year after discussions with the WIAA were held on the subject. The coaches simply Chose to not combine regionals. A choice was to keep the status quo over combining regionals together and there were valid points on both sides of the discussion. Ramjet obviously feels strongly in favor but the statewide responses were against combining. Please feel free to join the Association to get your voice and vote heard.

I will say this again the coaches who voted against this are being selfish. they do so to protect those wrestlers with the loosing records or maybe to protect themselves from exposure. Some of those coaches are the same ones who avoid the tougher tournaments. They are ok with pushing through a wresting who may not be dedicated or committed to the sport. They are ok with rewarding mediocrity. They are protective of the turf they control but in doing so they are ruining thier program and this sport.  they are the same person who does not have am ay wrestlers in thier room or any top wrestlers. They use misplaced emotion to justify the end. They are the everyone gets a trophy mentality. Maybe they just want to be done so they find the closest tournamanet S and shortest days? The separation in programs is directly related to the coaching and the community support.

Combining these Regionals does nothing to diminish the numbers of kids going to Sectionals. Top 4 move on.
Combining these Regionals reduces costs and referee that are needed.
Combining these Regionals gives the spectators better quality matches and more excitment.
Combining these Regionals gives a greater sense of achievment to those who make it out. The best wrestlers move on!!!!!!
Combining these Regionals reduces the byes at Sectionals.
Combining these Regionals goes a long ways in cleaning up the team series and getting the top teams in it. Top 2 teams move on.
Combining these Regionals gives more wrestling opportunities to all the weight brackets without having to cut any weight classes.
Combining the Regionals promotes fellowship and wrestling in a competitive atmosphere.
Combining the Regionals DOES NOT REDUCE THE OPPORTUNITES FOR THE WRESTLERS TO MAKE IT TO SECTIONALS.

Handles II

Quote from: ramjet on February 12, 2017, 05:34:00 PM
Sorry Kyle that's a liberal mind set I expect that from MNbadger he is rabid with it.

So do you think those kids who get to Sectionals and get teched in the first period or pinned in less than minute think they deserve to be there? Do you think that expereince encourages them to run out and recruit more wrestlers? Again this ridiculous "everyone gets a trophy" mentality is not well thought out or even executed. Umm hate to tell you in the working world you snooze you loose. So you think that a kid who only puts in only time in the season and maybe sketchy at that should get or deserves as much as a wrestler who puts in allot of season wrestling and commitment? That's what is happening geographical location Amy work against that kid and YES those wrestlers should get that chance. Keep your watered down everyone deserves a trophy attitude for youth soccer because that's where it belongs not on the wrestling mat. The way things are setup certainly work themselves out at sectionals but watered down Regionals most certainly waters down the accomplishment of getting to Sectionals. NOBODY remembers the kid who walked through the Crivitz Regional and gets pinned in thier first two matches at Sectionals. So tell me again without the feel good emotion how that helps that wrestler or wrestling?

This is seriously funny, aren't you one of the guys saying that going to 12 weights would cut the opportunities for wrestlers? Yet here you are outright saying that only certain wrestlers who have "earned" it should be allowed to move on to sectionals? Which is it Ramjet, are you for opportunities for kids to wrestle, or against it?  Sounds like your typical double-speak. You are all for kids who aren't varsity material to be put there to fill weight classes, but don't believe they should get have the right to wrestle at Sectionals.

The real question is, which one of you do you think is right?

And wrestling has never been about sending the "best" if it is, just seed everything and never wrestle. This sport is 100% about the losing kid always having a shot at beating the other guy, be it a wrestle-off, JV or Varsity. And we see it every single year.