Ranking the D-1 Sectionals

Started by 1Iota, February 09, 2017, 02:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Iota

Here is how I have them ranked based on Toms ranked wrestlers from last week.  I know a few kids have moved which would skew things a bit.  I have looked at each weight class & ranked the toughest to easiest sectional for each class.  The following is an average rank based on all 14 classes.  This is obviously subjective & certainly not scientific.  Feel free to offer a different opinion. 

Sectional E - 3.21
Sectional B - 3.36
Sectional C - 3.79
Sectional A - 4.36
Sectional G - 5.14
Sectional F - 5.29
Sectional D - 5.36
Sectional H - 5.71 

DocWrestling

There were some significant changes this year in assignments from what they have been traditionally.   Kaukauna, Kimberly, Neenah were all moved to the North and it really decreases the depth in sectional D and makes it one of the weaker sectionals.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

ElectricGuy

Quote from: 1Iota on February 09, 2017, 02:02:51 PM
Here is how I have them ranked based on Toms ranked wrestlers from last week.  I know a few kids have moved which would skew things a bit.  I have looked at each weight class & ranked the toughest to easiest sectional for each class.  The following is an average rank based on all 14 classes.  This is obviously subjective & certainly not scientific.  Feel free to offer a different opinion. 

Sectional E - 3.21
Sectional B - 3.36
Sectional C - 3.79
Sectional A - 4.36
Sectional G - 5.14
Sectional F - 5.29
Sectional D - 5.36
Sectional H - 5.71 

I had E at 3.26, not sure how you came up with that?   ;)  JK

Just curious, using rankings - what was your formula?   Beware, CLC "aka - rainman" will tell us why mathematically it's incorrect.   - Just poking at ya Hatfield.
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

1Iota

Quote from: ElectricGuy on February 09, 2017, 02:58:11 PM
Here is how I have them ranked based on Toms ranked wrestlers from last week.  I know a few kids have moved which would skew things a bit.  I have looked at each weight class & ranked the toughest to easiest sectional for each class.  The following is an average rank based on all 14 classes.  This is obviously subjective & certainly not scientific.  Feel free to offer a different opinion.  

Sectional E - 3.21
Sectional B - 3.36
Sectional C - 3.79
Sectional A - 4.36
Sectional G - 5.14
Sectional F - 5.29
Sectional D - 5.36
Sectional H - 5.71  

I had E at 3.26, not sure how you came up with that?   ;)  JK

Just curious, using rankings - what was your formula?   Beware, CLC "aka - rainman" will tell us why mathematically it's incorrect.   - Just poking at ya Hatfield.

Very unscientific.  I took the number of ranked kids plus any Honorable mentions & tried to determine based on rankings & overall number of these kids in each weight class which was the toughest.  For example, Sectional E at 106lbs has the number 2, 3, 10, & HM in their sectional.  B has 1,8,9,11,12.  Both of these sectionals are crazy stacked at this weight class, but I gave a slight edge to B because even though E has two kids in the top 3, B has 5 ranked kids.  Again, not scientific at all.  

CLC FAN

Quote from: ElectricGuy on February 09, 2017, 02:58:11 PM
 Beware, CLC "aka - rainman" will tell us why mathematically it's incorrect.   - Just poking at ya Hatfield.

Ha!  There's no such thing as incorrect in predictive statistics; the goal is to be less and less wrong.  I like what 1Iota did.  It will be interesting to compare this to APS and other metrics after the state tournament to see how these rankings play out.

CLC FAN

Sectional E - 3.21
Sectional B - 3.36
Sectional C - 3.79
Sectional A - 4.36
Sectional G - 5.14
Sectional F - 5.29
Sectional D - 5.36
Sectional H - 5.71 

So after the state tournament, here are the APS scores for each D1 Sectional.  It's important to know that 1iota was ranking the 106 weight class 1-8 based on which sectional had the toughest bracket.  His numbers are those rankings averaged across all 14 weight classes.  (Correct me if I'm wrong 1Iota)

APS is the average place at state for a state qualifier from a given sectional.  Guys who lose out are given the average of 7th - 16th place (11.5) everyone else is given the place they took at state.  In my numbers (as well as in 1Iota's) lower is better.  So again, don't compare his numbers to mine, but take a look at the ranking of the sectionals

Rank  Sectional  APS
1    Sectional E  7.07
2    Sectional B  7.41
3    Sectional F  8.18
4    Sectional G  8.23
5    Sectional A  8.39
6    Sectional C  8.54
7    Sectional D  9.59
8    Sectional H  10.59

For historical reference, an average D1 Sectional has an APS of 8.5.  The best APS ever posted was Sectional B in 2007 with 4.82 (Don't make me be the one to say it Big House).  The worst APS ever posted was Sectional H in 2008 with 10.93

1Iota

Quote from: CLC FAN on February 27, 2017, 01:57:28 PM

Sectional E - 3.21
Sectional B - 3.36
Sectional C - 3.79
Sectional A - 4.36
Sectional G - 5.14
Sectional F - 5.29
Sectional D - 5.36
Sectional H - 5.71 

So after the state tournament, here are the APS scores for each D1 Sectional.  It's important to know that 1iota was ranking the 106 weight class 1-8 based on which sectional had the toughest bracket.  His numbers are those rankings averaged across all 14 weight classes.  (Correct me if I'm wrong 1Iota)

APS is the average place at state for a state qualifier from a given sectional.  Guys who lose out are given the average of 7th - 16th place (11.5) everyone else is given the place they took at state.  In my numbers (as well as in 1Iota's) lower is better.  So again, don't compare his numbers to mine, but take a look at the ranking of the sectionals

Rank  Sectional  APS
1    Sectional E  7.07
2    Sectional B  7.41
3    Sectional F  8.18
4    Sectional G  8.23
5    Sectional A  8.39
6    Sectional C  8.54
7    Sectional D  9.59
8    Sectional H  10.59

For historical reference, an average D1 Sectional has an APS of 8.5.  The best APS ever posted was Sectional B in 2007 with 4.82 (Don't make me be the one to say it Big House).  The worst APS ever posted was Sectional H in 2008 with 10.93

I have to say, I am pretty impressed with myself.  Sectional E & B were ranked as the 1st & second toughest sectional & that is how they performed at the tournament.  D & H were ranked as the easiest & that is how they performed at the tournament.  C dramatically under performed while F exceeded expectations.  The others fell close my forecast.  Not bad for pulling it out of my butt due to boredom.