Hot/pepper sauce

Started by bigG, January 25, 2017, 06:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Growing up, I always thought it was something that came in a little bottle (Tabasco is most people's first experience). I notice when I'm in Mexico, yes, they have the bottled stuff; but they'll just have a bowl filled with beautiful green sauce that you pour on your eggs, tacos, etc.

Sure doesn't need to be hot; just use bell peppers, or those pretty colored ones in the little bag for $2.50. Trow peppers in dah pot, add some onion, garlic, lime and cilantro and just boil it all soft. When the water on the bottom is getting close to being steamed out, throw it in a blender (or use a hand blender) and give 'er heck. Add salt to finish and you have a perfect pepper sauce.

I'm an habanero guy, which isn't so big in farm country; so I make a wussed down version for my friends; but it's the best over tamales.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

Oh now your talking love the green salsa and or sauce as well. Spiced is good as long as the flavor is still there.

bigG

I think I'm onto something, here. The other day I was at Woodmans and they often have large bags of produce for 99cents. On this day, they had two huge daikon radishes in one of those bags. Used half of one daikon (about 1 lb. worth) cubed up and five red bell peppers (also in a 99 cent bag). Boiled them, cilantro at the end and blended. I usually love hotter (especially habanero based) sauces; but this stuff was amazing (if you've only eaten radishes raw, you have to try them cooked with some meat.) My new standby for mild tastes.

Still, just a mess of cheap jalapenos, some onion, cilantro, lime and h20 can make a very memorable salsa for eggs, tacos, whatever. Whe I mix in tomatillos, they really make it jump. Tomatillos are so acidic they brighten up anything they touch.

MarkK

I used to love the hotter the better, I've mellowed on that.  I still like the hot, but punched up spicy is best I think
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

bigG

I think capsaicin "hot" has been abused to the point of tastelessness. Creating new peppers just for their heat element is silly, IMO. Ghost peppers have no flavor but hot. Capsaicin oil is nothing but hot. I likes me some flavor with dat heat. With hot sauces, I find the dumber the name the crappier the sauce. "Double fire, arse kickin' mule sauce" will be some reconstituted cayenne with vinegar and some onion and garlic powder. Make your own, no what's in there! Save money, eat better food!!

ramjet

Pucker Butt Pepper Company = Carolina reaper hottest pepper ever.

Habenaro and Jalopeno are great flavor and good heat.

bigG

https://pepperhead.com/top-10-worlds-hottest-peppers/

None of these is worth a teet on a boar (unless you're using them for pepper spray). NM hatch have heat and flavor. IMHO, the best pepper grown. Different kind of heat, too. Comes from within when you eat them.

Next month someone will come out with one even hotter. Why bother? Just isolate/concentrate the essential oils and burn your tonsils on that.

I love Asian heat; but am not a fan of Sriracha. Not too hot; just blah flavor that's just bright with no other flavor goin' on.

I agree, rather eat an haba or jale.

MarkK

I have to agree on the Sriracha.   Lot of hype and not really that great tasting.   taste that is the name of the game not death.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

bigG

I like Yucateco when I need a bottle. But, I can make better and freeze it for dang near free. I'm a bit frugal but love good food. :)

Last year, I asked my fried, who was running to Roswell, NM catch up with old family and friends. He grew up there. I asked that if he saw some hatches to bring some back and I'd pay him whatever he thought was fair. He said "I always get tons." I guess I didn't take him literally enough. He brought back so many we were calling friends from all over. A friend of ours who was in Milwaukee was there just in time to grab a huge cooler full of my fresh Hatch chiles. He doesn't live far from me. This guy is well-tatted, driving a loud diesel F350. He's usually very well armed (drives in tough parts of town). So, he brings my peppers and tells me he got pulled over and they got a little antsy when he revealed the guns he had. They pulled out my cooler, probably expecting a good bust, and found my Hatches. They thanked him for being honest about the guns, and said to fire up the roaster for the chiles. I gave a bunch away to friends (lotta chiles) but just love their waiting ways. You eat and don't taste the heat. Then ya feel it comin'. Little bit of sweat; but no sobbing, etc.

Best chile on earth.

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on March 03, 2017, 10:02:49 AM
https://pepperhead.com/top-10-worlds-hottest-peppers/

None of these is worth a teet on a boar (unless you're using them for pepper spray). NM hatch have heat and flavor. IMHO, the best pepper grown. Different kind of heat, too. Comes from within when you eat them.

Next month someone will come out with one even hotter. Why bother? Just isolate/concentrate the essential oils and burn your tonsils on that.

I love Asian heat; but am not a fan of Sriracha. Not too hot; just blah flavor that's just bright with no other flavor goin' on.

I agree, rather eat an haba or jale.

I do NOT like Sriracha either the flavor is just not to my liking. Much rather have the simple straight forward flavor of Franks or even Tabasco although I like the OuterLimits Habenaro or the Jolapeno' lime hot sauces.

bigG

One I like, because it uses a relatively rare pepper to find in anything these days, that has great pop and flavor is Cholula (uses chiltecpin chiles, like little bullets of fire).

bigG

Nothing wrong with Texas Pete, Certified Cajun, Tapatio, Buffalo (eaten with oysters in MX) or any of those cheaper guys. I gotta big bottle of Pete. They're mostly cayenne and vinegar with a few other spices. Aaaallll good. I just prefer these over tartar sauce on a fish fry. The vinegar makes the fish fry complete for me. Little kick with it is welcome.

My latest pepper sauce for company that's not heat-friendly. $1.5 fo that back of crappy mild peppers, 4 radishes, 3 cloves garlic, salt and cilantro near the end.

Dump in bag of peppers
add all the other goods but cilantro
barely cover with water and boil 'er up. When all parties are soft, add cilantro and let 'er go a half hour gently. Blend it (I use a hand blender), now add salt to taste and any lime flavor you might want). I find lime isn't always the best finish for pepper sauces, though. I like this one with just the acidity and sweetness of the peppers and radish. You won't believe the subtle flavor and texture those radishes add. Little radish crazy, lately. So easy to grow and keep well. Greens are good, too.

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on March 25, 2017, 01:41:45 PM
Nothing wrong with Texas Pete, Certified Cajun, Tapatio, Buffalo (eaten with oysters in MX) or any of those cheaper guys. I gotta big bottle of Pete. They're mostly cayenne and vinegar with a few other spices. Aaaallll good. I just prefer these over tartar sauce on a fish fry. The vinegar makes the fish fry complete for me. Little kick with it is welcome.

My latest pepper sauce for company that's not heat-friendly. $1.5 fo that back of crappy mild peppers, 4 radishes, 3 cloves garlic, salt and cilantro near the end.

Dump in bag of peppers
add all the other goods but cilantro
barely cover with water and boil 'er up. When all parties are soft, add cilantro and let 'er go a half hour gently. Blend it (I use a hand blender), now add salt to taste and any lime flavor you might want). I find lime isn't always the best finish for pepper sauces, though. I like this one with just the acidity and sweetness of the peppers and radish. You won't believe the subtle flavor and texture those radishes add. Little radish crazy, lately. So easy to grow and keep well. Greens are good, too.

Good stuff I use a Vita Max to pulverize.

bigG

Never used one. Is that a super blender or something like that?

ramjet

for making smoothies mostly but super fast in fact you need to make sure you stop it or it will turn ingredients to foam.