Nebraska 1-13-17

Started by ankle pick, January 10, 2017, 07:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrastle63

Comeback Crone turns it on.

crossface21

Crone wins, it's 13-3 Nebraska. Donar wrestling for the first time this year. Hurts his knee. Trainers out there right now.

crossface21

Donar is able to continue but loses a major. UW down 17-3.

crossface21

jets152

You can never give up on Crone
I would've had a chance in WISAA.

DocWrestling

This may rub some people the wrong way but there just is a wrestling style problem for UW or something.  Other teams score and run up the score against us and create some excitement and bonus points.  Jordan can be right up there with one of the most boring wrestlers. Howe was similar.  Win a lot but not very much exciting scoring power.

Crone is exciting.  We need to recruit guys that can score and push to take chances so they can win matches but also score big and pull off upsets.  

Is this just the philosophy of Barry Davis? Takedowns seem tough to come by
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

imwi

Watched Penn State before the Badgers.  It almost seems if they win with only a decision, it's considered a loss, they've always been bonus bonus bonus.  I agree about Jordan.

crossface21

Dudley techs Stilling 18-0 in under 2 minutes.

DocWrestling

Only Crone and Jordan have scored any points other than an escape after 8 matches

crossface21

Medbery wins by tech 16-0.

leg turk

crossface21

Nebraska 28 Wisconsin 11. Pretty underwhelming performance. It wasn't even so much that they lost, but they were getting crushed in many of them. I know Nebraska has good wrestlers, but a lot of UW wrestlers looked pretty flat.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: crossface21 on January 13, 2017, 07:16:08 PM
Jimenez gets teched 19-1.

2 years ago they wrestled and Lambert was #18 and won 5-0... now Lambert  is #5 and wins 19-1.... how was Lambert able to gain some much on JJ?
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

Musky Hunter

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 13, 2017, 08:16:16 PM
This may rub some people the wrong way but there just is a wrestling style problem for UW or something.  Other teams score and run up the score against us and create some excitement and bonus points.  Jordan can be right up there with one of the most boring wrestlers. Howe was similar.  Win a lot but not very much exciting scoring power.

Crone is exciting.  We need to recruit guys that can score and push to take chances so they can win matches but also score big and pull off upsets.  

Is this just the philosophy of Barry Davis? Takedowns seem tough to come by

Zeke was 29-1 finishing 2nd in the nation.  If that is boring I will take boring all day long.  So you would rather have Crone?  Maybe edit what you wrote. 

Also they did have the up tempo kid in RT and he did not stay healthy.  Connor is in between.  I would take all three on my team. 

DocWrestling

Winning is priority #1 and Zeke is outstanding at that.

RT was an attacker also and Medbery can score especially for a heavyweight.

My point was  frustration with the bonus points we give up and yet when our best guys are heavily favored they seem to wrestle more conservative.

Howe won a lot and was impressive but not many fans are going to get excited. he was like watching a 1-0 baseball game or 7-3 football game.  You can appreciate that but it is not going to draw in fans.

My lead in was with the discussion about attendance.  The badger style is not like Penn St or Iowa and it hurts.  Kids watching Howe and Jordan will think it is boring even if they win.  Guys like Dieringer and Askren and many others wrestled all out, created scrambles, and in the end dominated their opponents especially the non-ranked guys.

I realize that a 4-1 win can actually be a dominating win at times in college but it is far from exciting at drawing in fans.  I guess I would just like a looser more attacking style.  It might actually lead to a couple losses but would also lead to some upsets as a whole up and down the roster.  When you get to Big Tens then yes maybe you starting wrestling more conservative.

When Davis broke down the dual and wanted a victory, he had to have told jordan that we will need bonus points from him.  He did not get them which can be almost as disappointing as guys that lost and gave up bonus points.

I will never underestimate getting a Big Ten win ever but just not sure about the wrestling "philosophy" of UW and a different style and "edge" might make it easier for fans to get excited and or make my kids think this is not boring.