Nebraska 1-13-17

Started by ankle pick, January 10, 2017, 07:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrastle63

Medberry really looks on top of his game. Agree pretty underwhelming tonight. I was expecting losses at some weights but closer matches.

BuckyMatRat

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 13, 2017, 09:52:54 PM
Medberry really looks on top of his game. Agree pretty underwhelming tonight. I was expecting losses at some weights but closer matches.

You knew from the introductions that Manning wasn't going to put Jensen up against Medbery.  When they announced both wrestlers it was obvious.  It's the one thing I really dont enjoy about the sport.  Wrestlers and coaches avoiding matches.  Why?  A lose will hurt their 'seed'?  Going to hurt their confidence?  When I asked the local newspaper reporter tonight who covers NU wrestling why Jensen didn't wrestle he simply said 'he's the number two guy.  Wasn't going to happen.'  Disappointed but didn't matter as Medbery would have beaten both Jensens, at the same time, if he had too...: ).

billymurphy

Everybody knows that Nebraska is very good this year.
And we all know that Jordan and Medbery are easily the best two guys on the team,
but I have been wondering who the third best guy on the team is and after tonight I
think I can say with confidence that it is Robertson.  And that is saying something
after last year wrestling like a Zombie from the Walking Dead tv show.  

BuckyMatRat

Quote from: billymurphy on January 13, 2017, 10:52:12 PM
And we all know that Jordan and Medbery are easily the best two guys on the team,
but I have been wondering who the third best guy on the team is and after tonight I
think I can say with confidence that it is Robertson.  And that is saying something

He showed some grit and fight tonight.  He was the one guy tonight who you could see it in his face that he was disappponted as he walked off the mat and into the locker room.  He gave the #7 guy all he wanted. 

MNbadger

Doc, This is what fans here in MN are saying about the Gophers too.  Some are on Eggum claiming he coaches a defensive style.  No coach punishes his wrestlers for scoring! I can't imagine that in practice Jordan does too many takedowns and then has to run laps for punishment.
When wrestlers aren't scorong it is usually becuase they can't not that they won't.  When the Gopher shad the best wrestlers and wer winning the NCAA tournament, they had the best wrestlers and guess what ?????  They scored a great deal.  I had this debate not long ago with other Gopher fans.  They were claiming the same thing after the PSU match.  We did not create much offense because PSU was that much better, period. 
Quote from: DocWrestling on January 13, 2017, 08:16:16 PM
This may rub some people the wrong way but there just is a wrestling style problem for UW or something.  Other teams score and run up the score against us and create some excitement and bonus points.  Jordan can be right up there with one of the most boring wrestlers. Howe was similar.  Win a lot but not very much exciting scoring power.

Crone is exciting.  We need to recruit guys that can score and push to take chances so they can win matches but also score big and pull off upsets.  

Is this just the philosophy of Barry Davis? Takedowns seem tough to come by
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

NoFear

Looked like pulling the redshirt is working out.

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: NoFear on January 14, 2017, 06:37:30 AM

Mu understanding is Penn State is keeping Hall on the red shirt path, or did I miss something?

npope

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on January 14, 2017, 07:09:32 AM
Quote from: NoFear on January 14, 2017, 06:37:30 AM

Mu understanding is Penn State is keeping Hall on the red shirt path, or did I miss something?

JJ's redshirt - not Hall's
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: knight/purgolder on January 14, 2017, 08:06:22 AM
January 27th is not going to look so good for the Badgers! Penn State beat the crap out of Nebraska 27-14!

I smell an upset brewing!!

Huckfinn

Ouch.   After Jordan and Medberry graduate, this team looks a lot like Michigan State.

I agree that Robertson and Crone gave fine efforts.   Maybe I expected too much.  

leg turk

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on January 14, 2017, 08:09:05 AM
Quote from: knight/purgolder on January 14, 2017, 08:06:22 AM
January 27th is not going to look so good for the Badgers! Penn State beat the crap out of Nebraska 27-14!

I smell an upset brewing!!

Lol, I'm betting they bring their jv team.

Huckfinn

Quote from: knight/purgolder on January 14, 2017, 08:06:22 AMLol, I'm betting they bring their jv team.

You could put all the starters on Penn State in prison, and they could still beat most Big Ten teams.   They might have to pull a few redshirts, but they would be competitive. 

That would be one heck of a prison wrestling club.

Micah

Quote from: BuckyMatRat on January 13, 2017, 10:58:49 PM

He showed some grit and fight tonight.  He was the one guy tonight who you could see it in his face that he was disappponted as he walked off the mat and into the locker room.  He gave the #7 guy all he wanted. 

Don't be fooled by the Studebaker score.  Every match that guy wrestles is a one point win and usually goes into OT.   How did Robertson look against tOSU?  I think you have the same RR as last year and this match being close is more of a product of Studebaker's style.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: Micah on January 14, 2017, 09:01:56 AM
Quote from: BuckyMatRat on January 13, 2017, 10:58:49 PM

Don't be fooled by the Studebaker score.  Every match that guy wrestles is a one point win and usually goes into OT.   How did Robertson look against tOSU?  I think you have the same RR as last year and this match being close is more of a product of Studebaker's style.

A few comments. Moore is ranked ahead of Studebaker. Against Moore, Robertson was down 5-3 in the 3rd period and gave up a 6 point move. It would have been a 2 point move - Rickey tried to tie the match. In my view, Robertson is right there with a little improvement.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Micah

I also think it is ridiculous that Nebraska did not wrestle their starter against Medbery.  Saving guys records for seeds needs to end.  Wish there was a way this could be regulated.