MN/WI

Started by MNbadger, January 10, 2017, 09:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huckfinn

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on January 16, 2017, 12:47:26 PMConditioning or Cutting?

That's always the unknown question.    I think Ryan Christensen looks too lean at 174, but just a guess.  

Ritter was limping badly after the match, hope his knee is OK.   But I bet RC would be better at 184.

wrastle63

It also doesn't help that Medberry has wrestled him three times already. When you wrestle a good wrestler it seems like it always gets closer and closer.

Huckfinn

Quote from: bigoil on January 16, 2017, 01:50:52 PM
Not saying it was this but some opponents in a tournament vs a dual meet may have a different game plan. An opponent trying to win to advance in a tournament may open up (exposing themselves) vs a dual where they may work to keep it close (team wise).

Medberry has been pretty hot all year.

I'm offering tough love from my couch.    BTW, I don't think wrestlers open-up at tourneys, I think they are more concerned about advancing.     In this MN dual, WI needed bonus points and Medberry played it safe.  

Huckfinn

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 16, 2017, 01:53:07 PM
It also doesn't help that Medberry has wrestled him three times already. When you wrestle a good wrestler it seems like it always gets closer and closer.

Ya, a fair point.   But I didn't see any attempts to setup shots.    Medberry also didn 't even try to ride Kroells, he let him escape and resumed the dance.

I think Medberry is capable of more and he shouldn't worry about losing.   

Huckfinn

Quote from: bigoil on January 16, 2017, 01:50:52 PMMedberry has been pretty hot all year.

Disregard all matches other than top ten talent.  The dropoff at heavyweight is huge.  Also, very early in the season is not a good indicator.    I'm disappointed with the MN duel.  Lets see if he scores a lot against Nevilles at Penn State.     I want Medberry to win a national title.   He has a shot, if a long shot.  He has to get better between now and then, because his competition will.

Oldtimer

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on January 16, 2017, 12:47:26 PM
Quote from: Oldtimer on January 16, 2017, 12:40:12 PM
Conditioning for the most part seemed to be on MN side.  Was very disappointed in how Zeke wrestled.  1st and 2nd period gave up easy escapes with about 25 seconds left with minimal attempt to ride and no real effort to get a take down at the end.  Match shouldn't have been that close.  Jimenez looked very good.  Most badgers looked really good on top with the rides.  Not so much on the bottom though.  Eli shot in but left his head by his knee... oops.  Crone was impressive in the 3rd.  Martin looked out of his league (conditioning?).  TJ wrestled awesome, nice win.  RC gassed out awful early (conditioning?).  RR looked small for Pfarr but wrestled hard.

Conditioning or Cutting?

Cutting could be the cause of conditioning.  I don't know who's cutting what.
Beware of the northern sleeper

wrastle63

Quote from: Huckfinn on January 16, 2017, 01:58:08 PM
Quote from: wrastle63 on January 16, 2017, 01:53:07 PM

Ya, a fair point.   But I didn't see any attempts to setup shots.    Medberry also didn 't even try to ride Kroells, he let him escape and resumed the dance.

I think Medberry is capable of more and he shouldn't worry about losing.   
Agreed he has shown he can do better against him. Teching him earlier but again Kroells is making adjustments.

Huckfinn

Kroells didn't slow Medberry.   Medberry slowed Medberry.

It's about aggression.   Medberry didn't not wrestle with Penn State aggression.   Do you think Kyle Snyder will worry about Kroells' awesome scary counter shots?   You think Gwiz is afraid of Kroells?    Medberry is a great wrestler who should attack.

We'll have to agree to disagree, and hopefully we can still be disagreeable.  I mean agreeable.

wrastle63

Completely agree he needs to be more aggressive. Was just saying it doesn't surprise me that the score was closer. No way that it should be a 1 point match though. He coasted kinda like Zeke has been.

Huckfinn

Watch 225 pound Kasper take down Kroells.  He wasn't afraid of Kroells' hips.  He went right after him and took him down several times.  Why was Medberry wrestling scared?

We will fight them on the beaches!  Will fight them in the air, the land and the sea!    

bigoil

Quote from: Huckfinn on January 16, 2017, 02:27:43 PM
Watch 225 pound Kasper take down Kroells.  He wasn't afraid of Kroells' hips.  He went right after him and took him down several times.  Why was Medberry wrestling scared?

We will fight them on the beaches!  Will fight them in the air, the land and the sea!    

Kasper weighs 250#. http://fivepointmove.com/usa-greco/dukes-jacob-kasper-greco-college-enforcing-style/

Huckfinn

Quote from: bigoil on January 16, 2017, 03:40:07 PMKasper weighs 250#. http://fivepointmove.com/usa-greco/dukes-jacob-kasper-greco-college-enforcing-style/

I don't know if that source is wrong or Kasper was bigger.    The announcer for the scuffle said he weighed in at 220;  I generously bumped him up to 225.    He is a lean guy who wrestled 197 last year.  He still looks like a slightly bigger 197.   

Michael Boykins, a good 197 pounder for NC State last year, bumped up to heavyweight and he looks 250.   It's possible to put on 50 pounds.   But Kasper is a lean, mean wrestling machine.     I will look into this and even admit if I am wrong, but I know 250 and that ain't Kasper.

Huckfinn

Quote from: bigoil on January 16, 2017, 05:23:56 PMKasper responded to the article on Twitter to correct it. They had him at 215 and he said he is 250#.

Then he was joking.   He weighed in at the Scuffle at 220.  He competed last summer at 215.     If you see him standing next to the other heavyweights, he is clearly very small.  Kroell is probably around 250.

I've been watching Kasper's available matches online.  He's really good.    Medberry doesn't want Kasper in his half of the NCAA brackets, I'll tell you that much.

I know Medberry has handled Ty Walz twice early this season.   Good.  I think he needs to push himself to high pace to compete for a title.   I don't worry so much about Zeke winning close matches, that's his game.   I think Medberry is at his best forcing opponent to wrestle hard for 7 minutes.   Certainly he'll have to do that himself to keep up with Snyder and Kasper.

wrastle63

Except our backup pinned him....oops

Huckfinn

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 16, 2017, 06:45:06 PM
Except our backup pinned him....oops

Well shiver me timbers.   inappropriate term5 happens, I guess.   Looks like he got pinned in about a minute.    Well, he's #7 HW now, and looks like a terror.