WI Challege Series question

Started by 2pointTakedown, January 09, 2017, 06:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarons23

If you start allowing wrestlers to compete at the challenge series that are wrestling varsity because some may consider them sub varsity wrestlers will just turn this into another varsity event.  What one considers sub varsity is not sub varsity for others.  Im ok with seniors who never broke the line up.....im not ok with someone who wrestled in the state tournament. If you are wrestling on varsity because you earned the spot....you are varsity caliber for your school....thus should not be in challenge series. This series was not designed to accommodate anyone who does make it to or place at state.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

FinalWord

If a wrestler can't make his varsity team, that wrestler is eligible to compete in "The Challenge". 
" I never met a man I didn't like except Will Rodgers."

bigoil

Quote from: FinalWord on January 10, 2017, 08:44:50 AM
If a wrestler can't make his varsity team, that wrestler is eligible to compete in "The Challenge".  

I think officially, Jackson Hemauer is eligible as it appears there are no official rules to restrict someone, however, suggestions declare that if you are a state caliber wrestler, former qualifier, you should not be in the challenge series. It is for "sub Varsity caliber" wrestlers. Someone that previously wrestled varsity and made state but is behind someone is not sub varsity material.

benrud3

Quote from: bigoil on January 10, 2017, 08:49:11 AM

I think officially, Jackson Hemauer is eligible as it appears there are no official rules to restrict someone, however, suggestions declare that if you are a state caliber wrestler, former qualifier, you should not be in the challenge series. It is for "sub Varsity caliber" wrestlers. Someone that previously wrestled varsity and made state but is behind someone is not sub varsity material.

Where should this high schooler wrestle then? If they can't make varsity, because someone on their team is better than them and they aren't allowed to  wrestle in a JV tournament, where do they wrestle? Or do we just lose this kid?

DocWrestling

Coaches discretion is the only way to go and the series will not be diminished if very few coaches abuse it.

We sent 8 (out of 17) wrestlers that have wrestled varsity at some point this year.  Most are freshman that are only varsity because they weigh the right amount and have maybe 1 varsity match win that was actually wrestled.  We sent these kids to JV state rather than with the varsity who were also at a tournament that same day.  None qualified for JV state.

We also sent a kid that is a pretty good wrestler and is a senior but he is not able to crack our varsity lineup.  He qualified.

2 other of our JV wrestlers qualified and one 4th hoping for a call.

I think this series fits for them all.  The best wrestler of all we sent was a true JV that cannot crack the lineup.  Other wrestlers are younger and less experienced even though they have wrestled some varsity and will probably wrestle at regionals to help fill the roster.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

2pointTakedown

I think this Challenge Series can grow and should grow as it's a good event.  Like some mentioned, making the right track wrestling adjustments for the coaches grading of Excellent, Good, Average will make it better.  Bracketing so the two best wrestlers don't meet right away.

Maybe have two divisions:
JV-A (varsity caliber with prior varsity and or State qualifier as a youth) Coaches know who should be here.
JV-B (no varsity experence, beginner)

Does not mater which grade as some kids start in 11-12th grade

bigoil

Quote from: benrud3 on January 10, 2017, 08:56:52 AM

Where should this high schooler wrestle then? If they can't make varsity, because someone on their team is better than them and they aren't allowed to  wrestle in a JV tournament, where do they wrestle? Or do we just lose this kid?

I am not their coach but they can certainly wrestle in other tournaments, however it appears that wasn't the design of this particular tournament. I know many schools send kids to other tournaments as varsity reserve to wrestle in varsity tournaments. In fact, I think I seen two non-varsity tournaments for our team this weekend (Friday event and a separate Saturday event).

bigG

Tomah will take them all. Bring 'em.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

benrud3

Quote from: bigoil on January 10, 2017, 10:06:31 AM

It is ok for this particular wrestler to beat JV kids all season long, just not at this particular tournament series? Is my interpretation of your thoughts correct?

I am not their coach but they can certainly wrestle in other tournaments, however it appears that wasn't the design of this particular tournament. I know many schools send kids to other tournaments as varsity reserve to wrestle in varsity tournaments. In fact, I think I seen two non-varsity tournaments for our team this weekend (Friday event and a separate Saturday event).

bigoil

Quote from: benrud3 on January 10, 2017, 10:29:41 AM
Quote from: bigoil on January 10, 2017, 10:06:31 AM

It is ok for this particular wrestler to beat JV kids all season long, just not at this particular tournament series? Is my interpretation of your thoughts correct?

Yes, you are reading what I wrote correctly. That is my interpretation of the spirit of the Challenge series. That said, you have the judgment as a coach to do what is right.

Thats2

It really comes down to the "eyeball" test.   We all have seen kids on varsity that are really JV caliber just to fill a weight and Varsity level wrestlers that just can't crack their own team's lineup.  If anyone doesn't know or see the difference, they are missing the point of the "Challenge" series.  

I'll use an example: Stratford was sooooo loaded last year that the young 106 could not consistently crack the lineup.  Can anybody (with a clear conscience) say that kid was "Sub Varsity" caliber?  Yes a wrestler of that caliber was technically a reserve, but well above a "Sub Varsity" level wrestler.   BTW,,,  I chose Stratford as an example because they are well respected, well coached and (unless I'm mistaken) chose not to send their kids to the Series.  

I think what people have an issue with is when formerly ranked Varsity or a top level wrestler competes against and dominates lesser opponents.   As I posted before....   Please read the criteria I grabbed from wiwrestling.   It really shouldn't be hard to dispute, yet programs still do it.  I think our sport is (or should) be above it.... :-[  The sad part is not everyone involved plays by the same rules.  

The Series is a GREAT EVENT, and glad Wisconsin has it.....  I just have an issue with Programs skirting the rules when they really don't need to do so