Badgers bring Jimenez out of redshirt | Badgers shake it up to duel Buckeyes

Started by TomM, January 05, 2017, 09:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Badgers bring Jimenez out of redshirt | Badgers shake it up to duel Buckeyes
http://www.wiwrestling.com/badgers-bring-jimenez-out-of-redshirt/

The Badgers host Ohio State Friday night at 7 p.m. in the UW Field House. The dual will be streamed live on BTN Plus, but fans should take advantage of Youth Night ticket special, where each adult ticket purchased can be used to admit four children 12 and under for free.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

wrastle63

This could be big for us in B1G tourney and the NCAAs. Johnny isn't a national champ but could easily win a couple matches at nationals.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Ghetto

I was just looking at the Flo rankings. I thought Jimenez would be in the 17-20 range. Hope Stickley can get healthy.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

mkm13

Quote from: Ghetto on January 05, 2017, 10:04:38 AM
Hope Stickley can get healthy.

Stickley and Ritter.  They never mentioned the severity of Ritter's injury.  Hopefully that is not a sign of a significant knee injury.

wrastle63

I'm guessing they are just being cautious and will have them back soon. Nice to see the staff let us know what is going on.

Ghetto

Quote from: mkm13 on January 05, 2017, 10:11:08 AM
Hope Stickley can get healthy.

Stickley and Ritter.  They never mentioned the severity of Ritter's injury.  Hopefully that is not a sign of a significant knee injury.

Exactly. Forgot about Ritter.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

I was just looking at the Flo rankings. I thought Jimenez would be in the 17-20 range. Hope Stickley can get healthy.

Flo Rankings were from December 31. Most of the rankings probably were assuming Jimenez was still redshirting

Eli Stickley at #20. Impressive !
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Ghetto

Rankings came out yesterday. I meant I thought that he would fit in the 17-20 range in the current rankings.

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: roughandtough on January 05, 2017, 10:54:58 AM
My question is why pull the red shirt?

Mine too, if all they're looking for is a possible win or two at nationals, doesn't seem like a great reason to pull the redshirt.

npope

Quote from: shouldvewrestled on January 05, 2017, 11:01:11 AM

Mine too, if all they're looking for is a possible win or two at nationals, doesn't seem like a great reason to pull the redshirt.

Mine too. I don't see much advantage for the team in doing this. Lantz and JJ are close - likely to score roughly comparable points down the road. The team isn't fighting for much of anything so a few extra points here and there won't matter. The only thing I can think of is that JJ himself wants to compete and told the coach that he was coming out.

But...let's go JJ!
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Barou

Quote from: shouldvewrestled on January 05, 2017, 11:01:11 AM

I questioned why they didn't RS his freshman year with his chances being almost zero to qualify for nationals and some posters took offense to that.  
JHI Mafia

roughandtough

I know we don't know and probably never will know the reasoning behind pulling it we can only speculate.  Lantz weight issues?  Johnny got that itch.  Johnny not planning on sticking around UW for 5 years. 

wrastle63

IMO the difference is pretty big. The match was close between them but that is because they practice all the time. I don't think Jens would be borderline nationals whereas JJ is already ranked after 1 tourney.