Brewers Trade Thornburg to Red Sox for Shaw and 2 Prospects

Started by fastnfurious, December 06, 2016, 10:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricGuy

Quote from: fastnfurious on December 06, 2016, 10:28:53 PM
http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/210384970/tyler-thornburg-traded-for-travis-shaw/

Thoughts?

I think it's good,  keep piling up prospects in the hope that 5-6 of them blossom into supper stars over the next couple years.  That left handed hitting 3B Shaw that they got seems to have some power OPS .754 over the last two seasons and had an impressive WAR of 2.2, he might hit 25-30 HR at Miller park if you add another 100 ab's and figure in Miller Park.  Then to add a #9 (I think he was an #8 in Boston's depth) prospect is pretty good. 

Sell HI and Thornburg was HI
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

leg turk

Do you guys think Braun will be with us at the start of the season?  I now hope we can deal him for some young talent, keep filling the cupboard with good young prospects, and hope for the best.

Ghetto

There has been very little chatter about Braun. I don't get it. The PED issues are in the past, and he's shown that he isn't falling off because he is off the juice. The guy is a special hitter. If a team lets him sit 20-30 games a year to stay healthy, he'll still hit over .300 and hit 30 bombs.

If the Brewers can't get a 2 starter, I say they keep him. They have nice pieces and quite a few position players in the minors. What they don't have is high end pitching, unless Peralta finally comes around to what I think he can do. You can't contend without an ace and a high 2. Even if you do, you get wiped early in the playoffs.

Yes, I think he'll be around.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

neutral

I think the best time to get value for him will be at the deadline this year ... assuming he has a good 1st half.

I read that there is still a lot of hard feelings about how he handled the PED thing - more than that he did them ... concern that he might again ... or his performance since.

However - at the deadline ... performance can outweigh stigma - so, If he continues to play well ... there will almost certainly be a market for him at the deadline ... especially with less left on his contract than last year.

Intrigued about what Shaw might be able to do ... and Villar at 2B full time.

Pitching? ... pitching? ... pitching?   It will need to be the final piece - with 1-2 from the roster/system ... and a FA (but don't want to spend that money until the rest looks ready. 
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

head57

Problem with waiting until the deadline on Braun is that he then has full no-trade protection (get gets 10-5 rights on May 24). Right now he can block trades to all but 6 MLB teams. At least that gives the Brewers some leverage. They lose a lot of that when he gets full authority over who he will and will not accept a trade to.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!