Luther Open

Started by bkraus, November 14, 2016, 03:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkraus

I was just looking at the stats for the Luther Open and Iowa sent their starters there.  Didn't get touched for the most part.  What benefit could one of the top D1 programs gain from sending starters to this open?  I can see sending redshirts and first year freshmen.  But Clark, Sorenson, Gilman, etc?
Strive for Perfection

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: bkraus on November 14, 2016, 03:01:07 PM
I was just looking at the stats for the Luther Open and Iowa sent their starters there.  Didn't get touched for the most part.  What benefit could one of the top D1 programs gain from sending starters to this open?  I can see sending redshirts and first year freshmen.  But Clark, Sorenson, Gilman, etc?

Making weight, Rolling with a non-teammate, trying new moves, working on weakness, not beating up the body and getting ready for the Big Ten Grind

bigG

You know it. Seems like a cakewalk; but no college tourney is. Once BIG action is under way, they take a thumpin'. I don't care how great a team is. BIG wrestling is just brutal on the body. I think this will pay off for Iowa.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

lizard king

Also the idea that Luther is in Iowa and by having the entire Iowa team show up, many fans come.  This is great for all of the d3 kids and Iowa wrestling in general.  It is a fun tournament, they have to make weight, and Iowa does have a loaded schedule to start the year.  (good idea)

Handles II

In addition to the above posts, quite a few of the D3 guys in Iowa roll with and/or clinic with Iowa guys in the off seasons. From what some wrestlers have said many enjoy seeing how things go outside of the practice mat be it a win or a loss.

Ghetto

Didn't we just have a thread that said the UW kids should stop going to Stevens Point? Same deal, right?
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

lizard king

Kind of the same deal.  I think the difference is that Iowa brings the whole line up if they can, and the coaches are all there in the mix.  People can go and know you will see the team wrestle.  I think it would be great if the Badgers did the same, but if you send a handful, and not the real good guys, or anything like that, then the fans won't take the chance.

bigG

Quote from: Ghetto on November 15, 2016, 09:28:11 AM
Didn't we just have a thread that said the UW kids should stop going to Stevens Point? Same deal, right?

It'd be great if the Badgers brought their whole crew to SP, or another smaller WI tourney.

I just can't get over how the SP tourney has shrunk over the years.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

The storm would be incredible if UW took its whole team to Point. It's a double standard.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bkraus

If it was because the open was in Iowa, Iowa State had an open the same day where it would be on par for Iowa's standards.  Don't think for a minute Brands would let the guys go through the motions or just get mat time.  He went out to dominate the tourney and put a hurt on other guys.  Show the "Iowa way".  Newman from UWW had to injury default against an Iowa guy, hope it was not too serious.

I'd be asking the exact same questions if UW sent their starters to UWSP, Concordia, MSOE, Parkside or Oshkosh.
Strive for Perfection

Ivan Stankowski

If Wisconsin sent all there wrestlers to Pointer Open, I am sure we would have had a car full go over and watch them, It is a great idea