J Robinson.......GONE!!

Started by DocWrestling, September 07, 2016, 05:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Quote from: DocWrestling on September 13, 2016, 07:23:17 AM
Here is article from 2012 on salaries

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2012/8/9/3228440/tom-brands-and-the-escalation-of-coaching-compensation

$225K is a nice chunk o' change. Brands, though, does coach for probably the best state for wrestling revenue.

Interesting article; thanks for posting.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DocWrestling

According to state databases

Barry Davis was paid $107,467 last year in base salary
Tom Brands was paid $169,00
J Robinson was paid $143, 579
Tom Ryan was paid $310,584

Obviously each contract is handled different with amount from state money, private money, camps, etc so the truth is never really known
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

TLV

Quote from: littleguy301 on September 12, 2016, 10:18:05 PM
while I am no expert on the law, it seems to me that this thread is getting muddied and I would guess a poster like TLV would be a calming poster on this.

These are some thing I look at in this case whether good or bad these are points.

1. Xanax is not illegal to take if you have a DR note to do so
1A. it is very illegal to sell or I believe give away the drug whether you get paid for it or not.

2.JRob from what I understand DID cover things up but..........
2A. while at the kitchen table recruiting these kids, I am sure JRob sold himself to the parent(s) that he would take care of these kids and support them when they become part of the Gopher Family
2AA. he certainly took those kids in and while there was a very valuable lessons and laws to follow, he protected them much like I would guess many parent(s) may also do.

I have to give JRob credit that he stood behind his wrestlers and protected them probably to much, I may get blasted for say ing this but while I dont agree to helping break the law, he really stuck his neck out for these kids and HE paid the price.

3. JRob was a pain in the U rear end to say the least. The housing situations he had going on, the athletes renting, owning houses, his blantant disreguard of whatever the AD would say. Basically he is a tough nosed SOB that did things his way. Look at him moving his JRob camp out of the U and the U losing on that money
3A. the gopher basketball team has pushed the issue with the AD and heads were going to roll. In order to be a tough guy the new AD fired JRob to send a message without hammering the basketball team but maybe a wake up call. By the way, hasnt there been something like 7 arrested in the gopher basketball program over the past year, things like RAPE, ASSAULTS, THEFT. Those are crimes against other people where as it sounds like the wrestling crime was more self inflicted but we could go on and on about the level of crimes.

I do think there will be some legal action on JRobs part over this, have heard many different things at this point but only time will tell.

The gophers are in good hands with Eggum and Becker for the time being but only time will tell.

By the way on the salary. Every one has a base salary in college sports. It is more the camps, shoes, appareal, promotion that gets the extra coin and lets face it, wrestling isnt usually the huge draw outside Iowa and Penn State. Though the Gophers have been top 5 in attendence for many years if that says anything.

Also, at this point I serious doubt JRob is going to be hanging at any salvation army soup lines. He has done very well for himself with his low salary from the U ;)

Interesting thoughts, Littleguy301. Just a couple of comments. J was put on  administrative leave by UM on 1 June, thus I understand that he could not use the facilities at the U for the camp. If J starts legal action...........one of first set of questions directed to him under oath will be about drugs; i.e., when did you learn, what did you do, why did you do it, by what authority did you act, did kids give you drugs and if so what did you do with them, etc? Not a pretty picture potentially. I think that he was a spectacular coach. I spent much of the last 20 years going over to UM to watch meets. He has done a lot to promote our  sport. But....no matter who you are....or what you've done in the past.....you have to abide by the rules whether you agree with them or not.
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

TomM

Four suspended from Gophers wrestling team until Jan. 1
The university would not confirm if the discipline was in connection with drug ring allegations.
By Pat Pheifer  OCTOBER 20, 2016 — 6:37AM

Four members of the Gophers wrestling team have been suspended until Jan. 1 "for violation of team rules," a spokesman for the university's athletic department said Wednesday.

The wrestlers are Tommy Thorn, Ethan Lizak, Larry Early III and Brandon Krone. All except Early are redshirtsophomores; Early is a redshirt freshman.

The four are suspended only from competing. They can attend class and can practice with the team, spokesman Jake Ricker said.

The university would not confirm whether the four were suspended in connection with the allegations of a drug ring involving more than a dozen wrestlers and the firing last month of coach J Robinson.

The suspension will put the four out of commission for roughly two months of the season, which begins Nov. 6. They would miss three tournaments, along with dual meets against South Dakota State, Oklahoma State, Michigan State and Michigan.

Because the four will be able to practice with the team, they could be able to return for the Southern Scuffle on Jan. 1-2 in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Robinson, 70, the wrestling coach for 30 years, was fired Sept. 7 by athletic director Mark Coyle. The coach was placed on paid administrative leave and banished from campus in June.

Allegations of drug abuse and distribution of Xanax among Gophers wresters surfaced in May, but Robinson refused to implicate the affected athletes.

In announcing Robinson's firing, Coyle said, "I'm terminating Coach Robinson's contract because he was not forthcoming with his superiors when reporting his suspicions about selling and abusing prescription medication."

Robinson's teams won national titles in 2001, 2002 and 2007. He was named Big Ten coach of the year eight times and was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2005.

Thorn, from St. Michael, placed fourth in the Big Ten at 141 pounds last season and advanced to the NCAA tournament, where he did not place. He enters the season ranked seventh at 141 by Intermatwrestle.com.

Lizak, from Schnecksville, Pa., sat out last season as a redshirt. He placed seventh in the Big Ten at 125 pounds in 2014-15 and advanced to the NCAA tournament, where he did not place.

Krone, from Anoka, went 11-13 at 165 pounds last season and did not place in the Big Ten tournament.

Early, from Oak Park, Ill., sat out last season as a redshirt but went 10-4 while wrestling unattached at 157 pounds.

http://www.startribune.com/four-suspended-from-gopher-wrestling-team-until-jan-1/397680681/
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"