J Robinson.......GONE!!

Started by DocWrestling, September 07, 2016, 05:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNbadger

You should apply then and do the job.  That wage for the job requirements and commitment is absurd.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

DocWrestling

J Robinson has been the coach through many changes in the administration at U of M.  Every one of those administrations have been dreaming of having a legit reason to get rid of him even through all his successes.  He is revered in wrestling circles and greatly disliked outside of wrestling.  Insubordinate is a great word to describe him.  He only cared about his team and his wrestlers and was always only going to do his thing.  That obviously made him disliked by the university, administration, and other coaches/athletes.

Without his obvious success he would have been dismissed a long time ago.  To the end his kind of arrogance and loyalty to a fault finally gave the university a reason to get rid of him.  The program will never be the same because any new coach will never get away with what Robinson did.

As far as his salary, it is definitely at the higher end compared with all other wrestling coaches and coaches in other non-revenue sports.  With all their success, Minnesota's wrestling program was not a revenue generator.  Wrestling might actually be a revenue generator at a few other schools like Iowa.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigG

Not trying to stir the turd; but I don't recall ever finding any evidence (maybe because i wasn't looking) of him being loved by wrestlers, but disliked by admin. Then, for him to get fired because of something he had already reported to admin.? I dunno.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Barou

JHI Mafia

Barou

Quote from: DocWrestling on September 12, 2016, 10:42:51 AM
J Robinson has been the coach through many changes in the administration at U of M.  Every one of those administrations have been dreaming of having a legit reason to get rid of him even through all his successes.  He is revered in wrestling circles and greatly disliked outside of wrestling.  Insubordinate is a great word to describe him.  He only cared about his team and his wrestlers and was always only going to do his thing.  That obviously made him disliked by the university, administration, and other coaches/athletes.

Without his obvious success he would have been dismissed a long time ago.  To the end his kind of arrogance and loyalty to a fault finally gave the university a reason to get rid of him.  The program will never be the same because any new coach will never get away with what Robinson did.

As far as his salary, it is definitely at the higher end compared with all other wrestling coaches and coaches in other non-revenue sports.  With all their success, Minnesota's wrestling program was not a revenue generator.  Wrestling might actually be a revenue generator at a few other schools like Iowa.

Curious, how do you know he was "greatly disliked" by people outside of the wrestling circle?  His issues with UM administration is noted but who else outside of the wrestling circle?

Do people on here consider it a bad thing that MN administration didn't like J Rob?  I'm sure he didn't want it to be that way.  So administration wanted to cut his roster and probably his coaching staff and he resisted, that's bad? 

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm in the camp that says we need more guys like J Rob to help keep the sport and promote it.  I'd rather have the HC sitting across from the AD challenging cuts then the guy that's like "OK, I'll do what I'm told", "cut the roster, that's going to hurt but OK", "no volunteer coaches in the room...OK boy I wish that didn't happen but OK". 

Guess I respect the former Army Ranger and Olympian and respect his code.  Wish he was the UW HC.
JHI Mafia

dman

Guys...Guys...Guys...no need to go back and forth...MNbadger knows more than everyone else so you all should just listen to him and his opinion.

bigG

You don't like MNBadger. Noted.

I was just unaware that there was much dirt on JRob. Always seemed pretty "stand up" to me.

I think many times wrestling stalwarts are disliked by the non-wrestling world. The high schools with poor basketball programs and good wrestling ones come to mind.

Great career; but being disliked by administration might be a good thing. Sounds like UWW had something out for fader. Good for UW-EC.

TomM

Saw a coach put up a list of '15 things every coach should remember' (or some such title)

One of them may apply here:

The more successful you are, the less friends you will have in town.

I think J Robinson is/was a great wrestling coach.
He is a strong personality.
People don't come much tougher than J Robinson.
Sorry to see things going in the direction they have.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

littleguy301

while I am no expert on the law, it seems to me that this thread is getting muddied and I would guess a poster like TLV would be a calming poster on this.

These are some thing I look at in this case whether good or bad these are points.

1. Xanax is not illegal to take if you have a DR note to do so
1A. it is very illegal to sell or I believe give away the drug whether you get paid for it or not.

2.JRob from what I understand DID cover things up but..........
2A. while at the kitchen table recruiting these kids, I am sure JRob sold himself to the parent(s) that he would take care of these kids and support them when they become part of the Gopher Family
2AA. he certainly took those kids in and while there was a very valuable lessons and laws to follow, he protected them much like I would guess many parent(s) may also do.

I have to give JRob credit that he stood behind his wrestlers and protected them probably to much, I may get blasted for say ing this but while I dont agree to helping break the law, he really stuck his neck out for these kids and HE paid the price.

3. JRob was a pain in the U rear end to say the least. The housing situations he had going on, the athletes renting, owning houses, his blantant disreguard of whatever the AD would say. Basically he is a tough nosed SOB that did things his way. Look at him moving his JRob camp out of the U and the U losing on that money
3A. the gopher basketball team has pushed the issue with the AD and heads were going to roll. In order to be a tough guy the new AD fired JRob to send a message without hammering the basketball team but maybe a wake up call. By the way, hasnt there been something like 7 arrested in the gopher basketball program over the past year, things like RAPE, ASSAULTS, THEFT. Those are crimes against other people where as it sounds like the wrestling crime was more self inflicted but we could go on and on about the level of crimes.

I do think there will be some legal action on JRobs part over this, have heard many different things at this point but only time will tell.

The gophers are in good hands with Eggum and Becker for the time being but only time will tell.

By the way on the salary. Every one has a base salary in college sports. It is more the camps, shoes, appareal, promotion that gets the extra coin and lets face it, wrestling isnt usually the huge draw outside Iowa and Penn State. Though the Gophers have been top 5 in attendence for many years if that says anything.

Also, at this point I serious doubt JRob is going to be hanging at any salvation army soup lines. He has done very well for himself with his low salary from the U ;)
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

MNbadger

"He has done very well for himself with his low salary from the U"

Let's take your job, whatever it is.  You get an hourly wage or a salary, either way.  You take another job let's say with a landscaping firm mowing and plowing snow.  Is that part of your base salary/wage/job?  No, of course not.  A head wrestling coach position is a big undertaking and at $150,000 per year, a low wage.  You need to look around at what people make.  Of course, part of this has to do with where you live too.  $150,000 per year is likely a huge income in Forest or Florence County but in the TC it is not a big deal. 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

stp

Quote from: MNbadger on September 11, 2016, 09:26:40 AM
What J makes from camps and real estate doesn't change the fact that he earns a poor wage as a wrestling coach. 

lol
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

bigG

Quote from: littleguy301 on September 12, 2016, 10:18:05 PM
while I am no expert on the law, it seems to me that this thread is getting muddied and I would guess a poster like TLV would be a calming poster on this.

These are some thing I look at in this case whether good or bad these are points.

1A. it is very illegal to sell or I believe give away the drug whether you get paid for it or not.

2A. while at the kitchen table recruiting these kids, I am sure JRob sold himself to the parent(s) that he would take care of these kids and support them when they become part of the Gopher Family
2AA. he certainly took those kids in and while there was a very valuable lessons and laws to follow, he protected them much like I would guess many parent(s) may also do.

I have to give JRob credit that he stood behind his wrestlers and protected them probably to much, I may get blasted for say ing this but while I dont agree to helping break the law, he really stuck his neck out for these kids and HE paid the price.

3. JRob was a pain in the U rear end to say the least. The housing situations he had going on, the athletes renting, owning houses, his blantant disreguard of whatever the AD would say. Basically he is a tough nosed SOB that did things his way. Look at him moving his JRob camp out of the U and the U losing on that money
3A. the gopher basketball team has pushed the issue with the AD and heads were going to roll. In order to be a tough guy the new AD fired JRob to send a message without hammering the basketball team but maybe a wake up call. By the way, hasnt there been something like 7 arrested in the gopher basketball program over the past year, things like RAPE, ASSAULTS, THEFT. Those are crimes against other people where as it sounds like the wrestling crime was more self inflicted but we could go on and on about the level of crimes.

I do think there will be some legal action on JRobs part over this, have heard many different things at this point but only time will tell.

The gophers are in good hands with Eggum and Becker for the time being but only time will tell.

By the way on the salary. Every one has a base salary in college sports. It is more the camps, shoes, appareal, promotion that gets the extra coin and lets face it, wrestling isnt usually the huge draw outside Iowa and Penn State. Though the Gophers have been top 5 in attendence for many years if that says anything.

Also, at this point I serious doubt JRob is going to be hanging at any salvation army soup lines. He has done very well for himself with his low salary from the U ;)

I'm with you; and still feel a little hazy about this whole thing. The "cover up" is what I'm unclear on; and I guess that's where the rubber hits the (very well-constructed) road. :)

DocWrestling

Here are who the top earners in 2008.  Again this does not include camps and any outside income.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/2008-02-08-wrestling-salaries_N.htm

Name, College, Salary
-- Cael Sanderson, Iowa State, $110,000
-- Jack Spates, Oklahoma, $110,000
-- Mark Johnson, Illinois, $108,550
-- J Robinson, Minnesota, $100,000
-- Brian Smith, Missouri, $100,000
-- John Smith, Oklahoma State, $100,000
-- Pat Santoro, Maryland, $99,866
-- Tom Brands, Iowa, $99,750
-- Joe McFarland, Michigan, $97,850
-- Mark Manning, Nebraska, $97,000
-- Tom Ryan, Ohio State, $95,288
-- Jim Zalesky, Oregon State, $95,004

DocWrestling

TLV

Quote from: littleguy301 on September 12, 2016, 10:18:05 PM

Littleguy301,
I don't think that J voluntarily took the intensive Camps off campus this summer. He wan't allowed to have them on campus is my understanding.
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin