J Robinson.......GONE!!

Started by DocWrestling, September 07, 2016, 05:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

Sorry, I see this as someone that got to big for his own good. Do I respect J Rob as a Wrestling Coach. Dang straight I do. Do I respect how he has run a program. Dang Straight I don't. More in our world have to see that winning is not everything.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

woody53

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on September 10, 2016, 01:00:22 PM
Quote from: jw52 on September 10, 2016, 08:41:22 AM
What if your current High School head coach did the same thing? Would that be a situation you would want to put your son into? Let us not forget that success on the mat is the ultimate goal, but at its purest form and the base of wrestling is it core values. Hard work, honesty, integrity, persiverance. With the exception of hard work, those seemed to have been pushed aside by J. All history and his laundry list of accomplishments aside, the dude committed and aided/abedded multiple felonies. The biggest loser in this situation are the young men in the program who appear to have an addiction issue. From the article I read, not only were they distributing to the entire campus, they were using too. 

What Felonies did he commit, and why has he not been charged?

[/quoteWow. Read all the transcripts Ivan. I still do not know why this did not go farther legally.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: woody53 on September 10, 2016, 06:30:41 PM
Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on September 10, 2016, 01:00:22 PM
Quote from: jw52 on September 10, 2016, 08:41:22 AM
What if your current High School head coach did the same thing? Would that be a situation you would want to put your son into? Let us not forget that success on the mat is the ultimate goal, but at its purest form and the base of wrestling is it core values. Hard work, honesty, integrity, persiverance. With the exception of hard work, those seemed to have been pushed aside by J. All history and his laundry list of accomplishments aside, the dude committed and aided/abedded multiple felonies. The biggest loser in this situation are the young men in the program who appear to have an addiction issue. From the article I read, not only were they distributing to the entire campus, they were using too. 

What Felonies did he commit, and why has he not been charged?

[/quoteWow. Read all the transcripts Ivan. I still do not know why this did not go farther legally.

I guess that is my point, why hasn't he been charged? Can it be not everything is true or can be proven? That is all I am saying

MNbadger

Your opinion is yours too.  You do not know J or the Mn program at all.  It most certainly is not one of J getting too big for his own good.  He was not delusional.  He is a wrestling coach making less than $150,000 per year. I don't think he imagined himself some kind of mogal at that salary.   J did many, many things that were not supporting your view that he was a "win at any cost" coach.  Truthfully, he was not enough that way and hurt himself and the number of wins he could have had.  Likely people want to cast stones due to the success he did have and want to attribute it to things unseemly.  To find out about the man, ask his wrestlers from his program start to finish.  They will tell you the things he did (deeds/behaviors/actions you would be lauding Barry and others for).
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

MNbadger

"I guess that is my point, why hasn't he been charged? Can it be not everything is true or can be proven? That is all I am saying"

Exactly.  If they had a case, they'd be on it.

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

MNbadger

"This is one of the reasons that many people feel that college athletes are privileged and are allowed extra benefits that "mere" scholars don't get."

While I agree with you that this is often the case though more so in fb, bb, etc, how often do you think anything happens to a non-athlete student getting caught with drugs?  Rarely (as in almost never) anything.   

ramjet

Quote from: MNbadger on September 10, 2016, 07:44:39 PM
Your opinion is yours too.  You do not know J or the Mn program at all.  It most certainly is not one of J getting too big for his own good.  He was not delusional.  He is a wrestling coach making less than $150,000 per year. I don't think he imagined himself some kind of mogal at that salary.   J did many, many things that were not supporting your view that he was a "win at any cost" coach.  Truthfully, he was not enough that way and hurt himself and the number of wins he could have had.  Likely people want to cast stones due to the success he did have and want to attribute it to things unseemly.  To find out about the man, ask his wrestlers from his program start to finish.  They will tell you the things he did (deeds/behaviors/actions you would be lauding Barry and others for).

As much as you are accusing others of mis judgment or poor judgment about this situation you are just as far off the other direction. I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle. Either way based on the available Information some really poor decisions were made. Regardless of the intent and what he thought was an honorable way to deal win this it seems to have crossed a line legality to some extent and most likely poor judgment.

It is sad that those we hold in such high regard are human and can make some of the poor decision any human can. Sad because so many looked up to him and to have a storied career to fall like this is a very disappointing series of events. But also sad is athletes engaging in this behavior I hope they get it together and stop. That would be the very best thing that can come from this situation. People correcting bad behavior and in the future in a positive direction.

Best of luck to all those involved I hope you get it together and move your lives in positive direction. 

MNbadger

Ramjet,  I do not claim to know everything about this situation but I made my point in that I likely know more than those on this site.  I'll leave it at that.
As far as holding J in high regard, I have NO heroes and find it strange that others do.  All of us are human you are correct.  We all make mistakes.
The truth is, compared to many, many situations collegiate athletes get into, this big deal of today will be tomorrow's so what in short order.  J reported to his superiors, they were slow to deal with it. When I first heard of this, I assumed J held off time wise and immediately was critical.  When I found out the timeline, I had to admit I was to quick in my judgment. His athletes got safe haven.  He did wrong applying his own form of consequences. 

Quote from: ramjet on September 10, 2016, 07:56:57 PM

As much as you are accusing others of mis judgment or poor judgment about this situation you are just as far off the other direction. I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle. Either way based on the available Information some really poor decisions were made. Regardless of the intent and what he thought was an honorable way to deal win this it seems to have crossed a line legality to some extent and most likely poor judgment.

It is sad that those we hold in such high regard are human and can make some of the poor decision any human can. Sad because so many looked up to him and to have a storied career to fall like this is a very disappointing series of events. But also sad is athletes engaging in this behavior I hope they get it together and stop. That would be the very best thing that can come from this situation. People correcting bad behavior and in the future in a positive direction.

Best of luck to all those involved I hope you get it together and move your lives in positive direction. 

stp

Your opinion is yours too.     It most certainly is not one of J getting too big for his own good.  He is a wrestling coach making less than $150,000 per year.

We must agree to disagree then.  J became too big for his own good when he left his previous coaching job for UM, the sole reason being to have full control of his camps.
J makes a significant amount of his yearly income from his camps along with being a "slum lord" buying/selling homes to wrestlers. 
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

MNbadger

What J makes from camps and real estate doesn't change the fact that he earns a poor wage as a wrestling coach.  It should bring one pause to think that he needs to have two other jobs.

TomM

Where did these Xanax drugs come from, or how were they acquired?
How would they not be 'stolen' property to begin with?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

TLV

The issue in a criminal case is NOT: "did he/she do it?". The issue is: "Can I as the DA prove that he/she did it beyond a reasonable doubt......which is the highest burden of proof in the legal system. If....IF....there is a law suit, J will be compelled to testify to everything that he did.......and didn't do.....and explain his rational. Contrary to the opinions of some people on the Minny board, juvies drinking beer is not the same as adults using/distributing prescription drugs and therefore the obligations of supervisors/parents/bosses/coaches/etc, differ.
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Barou

Quote from: stp on September 09, 2016, 06:35:29 PM
Quote from: bigG on September 08, 2016, 03:44:34 PM
I'd love to have JRob as the Badger HC.
Why would you want a HC with a history of not disclosing information to the proper authorities, disobeying directives from his superiors, along with refusing to accept responsibility  for his actions? 

He just lost his job due to his loyalty to his athletes.  He chose to disclose information to the parents involved.  30 years as a HC with great success for his program and one of the best college wrestling promoters ever but hey let's define him by his worst situation.  I've read countless articles, quotes, comments, etc.... from other coaches, his former wrestlers, fans, parents, boosters, etc. that had nothing but great things to say about J Rob and the impact he had on their lives.  Even so far as wrestlers that participated in his 28 day camps 20 years ago talk about their experience and the type of person J Rob is.  The last one I read was a FB post from Jayson Ness about how big of an influence J Rob was to him as a kid/fan, wrestler, and coach.  If you know anything about Jayson Ness you'd know he is the kind of guy that makes great life decisions and is a fantastic role model.

So ya I'm OK with him not running to authorities on this and "disclosing".  I hope the kids he protected are forever grateful for the sacrifice J Rob made and hope they accomplish great things on and off the mat. 

We can go on all day with examples of what J Rob did to help MN wrestling and the sport.  One example I like is UM told him he had to cut down his roster to be in compliance with Title 9.  J Rob didn't believe he HAD to do that so he told him he wouldn't.  He could easily have given in, cut the roster, and a forever excuse on why the program can't keep up with the Iowas and OK States of the world.  He used his clout and his character to do the right thing.  Some see it as insubordinate I see it as loyalty to a program.
JHI Mafia

Oldtimer

Quote from: MNbadger on September 11, 2016, 09:26:40 AM
What J makes from camps and real estate doesn't change the fact that he earns a poor wage as a wrestling coach.  It should bring one pause to think that he needs to have two other jobs.

$150,000 a year is a "poor wage"?  He needs to have two other jobs???  C'mon...
Beware of the northern sleeper

bkraus

I'll gladly take that poor wage!
Strive for Perfection