J Robinson.......GONE!!

Started by DocWrestling, September 07, 2016, 05:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bman

The most shocking thing is a D1 coach with 3 NCAA titles only gets paid by the U of M $146,000. Given, J Rob makes significant money from his camps, but that is a separate endeavor.  Terry Brands as an assistant make more than that in salary.

Ivan Stankowski

The guy gets paid $146,000 from the UM for coaching wrestling and you find this shocking ??? That is about 4 X more then an High School teacher and the list goes on and on and on, 146,000K for coaching wrestling WOW!!

ckwrestler

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on September 08, 2016, 06:05:50 AM
The guy gets paid $146,000 from the UM for coaching wrestling and you find this shocking ??? That is about 4 X more then an High School teacher and the list goes on and on and on, 146,000K for coaching wrestling WOW!!

I also find it shocking that he only makes that amount.  What's more shocking, if you're right, is that a high school teacher only makes 36.5k.

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: ckwrestler on September 08, 2016, 08:39:31 AM
Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on September 08, 2016, 06:05:50 AM

I also find it shocking that he only makes that amount.  What's more shocking, if you're right, is that a high school teacher only makes 36.5k.

No he makes WAY more then that, that is what the UM paid him, look at what a 1st year teacher makes, I guess your going to be surprised.

woody53

How did this switch from what he did to what he makes. Come on. I have a ton of respect for J. Robinson. He got to big for his own results. This will hurt Minnesota Wrestling.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

DocWrestling

Quote from: woody53 on September 08, 2016, 01:44:15 PM
How did this switch from what he did to what he makes. Come on. I have a ton of respect for J. Robinson. He got to big for his own results. This will hurt Minnesota Wrestling.

I hope UW wrestling can seize this opportunity to take a step forward as another program may falter
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigG

I'd love to have JRob as the Badger HC. I guess we're not going to buy our BD's contract; so I'm eating a big wish samich.

I doubt J has to worry a ton about finances, either way. I bet just the promotion from the teams he coaches gain him much more from camps. There's only 1 "I did it!" out there.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

There are three sides to every story. Theirs, yours, and the truth.

There are parts of this story that make me admire JRob and others that make me shake my head.

Let's hope MN goes into a tailspin and we start taking their recruits.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

woody53

Quote from: bigG on September 08, 2016, 03:44:34 PM
I'd love to have JRob as the Badger HC. I guess we're not going to buy our BD's contract; so I'm eating a big wish samich.

I doubt J has to worry a ton about finances, either way. I bet just the promotion from the teams he coaches gain him much more from camps. There's only 1 "I did it!" out there.
[/quote Got to say I do not agree. Would not want him as a Badger. Different set of values in my opinion.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

hammen

Quote from: woody53 on September 08, 2016, 04:50:32 PM

[/quote Got to say I do not agree. Would not want him as a Badger. Different set of values in my opinion.

Agreed Woody - gotta draw the ethical line somewhere.

crossface21

Quote from: hammen on September 08, 2016, 07:21:36 PM
Quote from: woody53 on September 08, 2016, 04:50:32 PM

Agreed Woody - gotta draw the ethical line somewhere.

Also agree.

And in addition, as much weight as the JRob name carries, it seems to be a young mans game when new Head Coaches are being hired these days. JRob is 70.

bigG

70 and still kickin' tail. The dude is an icon, fall guy or not. I'm sure he'll retire; but I doubt there are any Minnesota fans who don't appreciate what he has done there. If they don't appreciate, I'm guessing they will in the near future.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MNbadger

There are a good deal of things I don't agree with as far as J goes but the admin stiffed him.  There was no way they were going to admit to their incompetence.  That just is not how things go in large operations.  The "company" never takes the fall.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

bkraus

I attended his camp between my junior and senior year, and due to that I have always admired him as a coach.  It is amazing what he has done for the sport. 

But I will probably be crucified for this.  What he did this time, covering or trying to cover for kids who were selling Xanax is completely unethical, and actually illegal.  Not that I am a lawyer or law expert, but isn't that aiding and abetting?  What these kids did by selling prescription drugs is a felony.  And to me it is no different than a person pushing marijuana, coke or crack on the street.  JRob knew this and tried to cover it up and make it go away.  Do these kids need help?  Absolutely!  Did these kids commit a felony?  Absolutely!  (I know, I know...  innocent until proven guilty).  But the evidence was discarded by JRob so therefore they couldn't get enough evidence for probable cause.  To me, this is just plain wrong.  And his firing is the best case scenario that could have come out of this for him.  Yes it put a black eye on U of M and their program.  But black eyes will heal.  But I will not put the "all wrestlers are good people" label on this.  I'm not doubting he's a great guy, from my experiences he is.  But this is just wrong in my opinion.  And with every action comes consequences.
Strive for Perfection