Fargo results 2010-2016

Started by getyourpoints, July 23, 2016, 10:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy

Bulldog, when the coach, parents and child set down together to set the child's goals ,I would venture to guess the majority of the time it is the coaches and or parents goals that get implemented, not the child's .the child needs to be taught how to set goals i.e. long ,medium and short how to dream big and also be realistic.But it must be the child's goal ,not anyone else's.

bulldog

Jimmy...I would venture to guess that the majority of any child's goals are influenced by a parent. Same as their personality is influenced by a parent. A parent is a child's primary role model so of course there is a strong probability that the child's goals would reflect a parents influence. Find any high level athlete...from pro athlete to high school state champion to Fargo All American who obtained those levels without early parental influence. The kids learn to set their goals based on their parental influence.

So this part of the thread is about pushy parents and how they need to let coaches handle the kid. But now, once the point is made that sometimes a coach doesn't step up then the answer is "the kid needs to set their own goals" or "the wrestler would need to work their butt off outside the room". I don't get that response. How about holding the coach somewhat responsible? Littleguy...YES the wrestler went on to post HS wrestling...also graduated as one of the top kids in his class. And it wasn't the coach that got him there. It was the "pushy parent" and outside club wrestling coach. The HS coach (who is no longer a HS coach) spent 4 years ignoring the kid and basically making his life in the HS room unenjoyable. Maybe this was the one subpar coach in the state. So hopefully it is an isolated bad example.

If the coach would have worked with the parent towards the kids goal I believe that kid would have enjoyed the HS experience. 

SP

Back to the topic of our results in Fargo over the past years. I think the main question is are we cresting an environment for our kids to be successful in Fargo. I am not sure that everyone has the same definition of what success should look like. I looked at some numbers on trackwrestling to compare our placement with other teams.
List of top teams and the points they scored and how many AA they had-
1. PA- 58- 15AA
2. MN- 52- 10AA
3. IL- 46- 11AA
4. MI- 39- 8AA
5. IA- 34- 8AA
6. MO- 30- 7AA
7. OH- 25- 5AA
8. AZ- 24- 4AA
9. CA- 22- 5AA
10. CO- 21- 4AA
11. UT- 21- 2AA
12. OK- 19- 4AA
13. IN- 17- 3AA
14. FL- 15- 2AA
15. WI- 15- 5AA

So we placed behind six teams that has fewer AA than we did. Does this make us worse than them? Three states had double digit AA's. Florida had 15 points just like us, they had two kids in the finals so they got 8 and 7 points for a total of 15. Did they have a better showing than us? Florida brought 22 kids to Junior Freestyle, we had 45. There winning percentage was .5287(24th out of all teams) and ours was .6198(6th out of all teams). We had the 6th best winning percentage and only 7 states brought more kids. I think that shows that we are moving in the right direction. Depth is better and our overall winning percentage has gone up over the last three years.

The Junior Freestyle tournament is very tough and a few matches can make the difference in how your team places. When we start comparing ourselves with other states we have to look at the numbers to see if everything is equal. Of the states that had 4 or 5 AA's, every one of them had at least one person in the finals and five of them had two or more.

I did not go back to past years on Trackwrestling to compere the numbers.

If everyone had a specific definition of what success looks like, it would make it easier for us to criticize our performance. I for one see that the current system seems to be working. The real question is how do we get our better kids to win more big matches. The numbers indicate that participating in the duals is not the answer. I am on board with Nutman that getting more kids to really train is the answer. There is a huge difference between going to Fargo and competing at Fargo.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

aarons23

Quote from: SP on July 30, 2016, 10:01:50 AM
Back to the topic of our results in Fargo over the past years. I think the main question is are we cresting an environment for our kids to be successful in Fargo. I am not sure that everyone has the same definition of what success should look like. I looked at some numbers on trackwrestling to compare our placement with other teams.
1. PA- 58- 15AA
2. MN- 52- 10AA
3. IL- 46- 11AA
4. MI- 39- 8AA
5. IA- 34- 8AA
6. MO- 30- 7AA
7. OH- 25- 5AA
8. AZ- 24- 4AA
9. CA- 22- 5AA
10. CO- 21- 4AA
11. UT- 21- 2AA
12. OK- 19- 4AA
13. IN- 17- 3AA
14. FL- 15- 2AA
15. WI- 15- 5AA

So we placed behind six teams that has fewer AA than we did. Does this make us worse than them? Three states had double digit AA's. Florida had 15 points just like us, they had two kids in the finals so they got 8 and 7 points for a total of 15. Did they have a better showing than us? Florida brought 22 kids to Junior Freestyle, we had 45. There winning percentage was .5287(24th out of all teams) and ours was .6198(6th out of all teams). We had the 6th best winning percentage and only 7 states brought more kids. I think that shows that we are moving in the right direction. Depth is better and our overall winning percentage has gone up over the last three years.

The Junior Freestyle tournament is very tough and a few matches can make the difference in how your team places. When we start comparing ourselves with other states we have to look at the numbers to see if everything is equal. Of the states that had 4 or 5 AA's, every one of them had at least one person in the finals and five of them had two or more.

If everyone had a specific definition of what success looks like, it would make it easier for us to criticize our performance. I for one see that the current system seems to be working. The real question is how do we get our better kids to win more big matches. The numbers indicate that participating in the duals is not the answer. I am on board with Nutman that getting more kids to really train is the answer. There is a huge difference between going to Fargo and competing at Fargo.

Where do you see numbers prove the duals do not help? Sorry but the top placing teams went to the duals. You want our chances to improve in Fargo we go back to the duals and get our kids the matches to prepare them for Fargo.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

aarons23

1. PA- 58- 15AA
2. MN- 52- 10AA
3. IL- 46- 11AA
4. MI- 39- 8AA
5. IA- 34- 8AA
6. MO- 30- 7AA
7. OH- 25- 5AA
8. AZ- 24- 4AA
9. CA- 22- 5AA
10. CO- 21- 4AA
11. UT- 21- 2AA
12. OK- 19- 4AA
13. IN- 17- 3AA
14. FL- 15- 2AA
15. WI- 15- 5AA

I just want to point out every team that placed in front of us from SP's post above were at Junior duals and 6 of the teams had not 1 team but 2 teams.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

bman

I am going back a couple of pages on this thread citing the incident where a one of the goals a kid had was to wrestle D1 in college.  I think people have read more into it than it actually was.  If I understand correctly (Bulldog, please clarify if needed), the kid had for ONE of his goals for high school wrestling, to someday wrestle at the D1 level.  The coach basically told the kid his goal was unrealistic, that few kids achieve that etc.  If that is what happened, the coach was being a douche (Sorry, I have always wanted to use the written form of the word Douche in a proper sentence).  The kid was a freshmen at the time (Lee Kemp started wrestling as a freshmen).  The coach should be encouraging kids to dream and to strive for something big, or the very least, not killing the dreams or goals of kids.  The coach could have also guided the kid to also select some short term goals (more realistic or easier etc) that served as measures/stepping stones to reach their larger goal, i.e.; qualify and/or place at state, win state etc... This sounds like a situation where a kid was motivated and dreaming big, but the coach squashed it for him. Given, if that was one of the kid's goals, the kid shouldn't let others tell him you can't do it etc... However, it may be hard when you don't feel you are supported by the coach.  Every kid in that room had different goals or dreams.  It is the coach's job to help or encourage every kid to pursue what THEY want out of the sport.  A kid with big goals is a kid that is working and setting the right examples.  Shame on the coach in this case.

Ivan Stankowski

National Dual Matter, I am not sure how anyone can argue any differ

npope

Quote from: bman on July 30, 2016, 01:50:05 PM
I am going back a couple of pages on this thread citing the incident where a one of the goals a kid had was to wrestle D1 in college.  I think people have read more into it than it actually was.  If I understand correctly (Bulldog, please clarify if needed), the kid had for ONE of his goals for high school wrestling, to someday wrestle at the D1 level.  The coach basically told the kid his goal was unrealistic, that few kids achieve that etc.  If that is what happened, the coach was being a douche (Sorry, I have always wanted to use the written form of the word Douche in a proper sentence).  The kid was a freshmen at the time (Lee Kemp started wrestling as a freshmen).  The coach should be encouraging kids to dream and to strive for something big, or the very least, not killing the dreams or goals of kids.  The coach could have also guided the kid to also select some short term goals (more realistic or easier etc) that served as measures/stepping stones to reach their larger goal, i.e.; qualify and/or place at state, win state etc... This sounds like a situation where a kid was motivated and dreaming big, but the coach squashed it for him. Given, if that was one of the kid's goals, the kid shouldn't let others tell him you can't do it etc... However, it may be hard when you don't feel you are supported by the coach.  Every kid in that room had different goals or dreams.  It is the coach's job to help or encourage every kid to pursue what THEY want out of the sport.  A kid with big goals is a kid that is working and setting the right examples.  Shame on the coach in this case.

I don't see much difference between this and a scenario where a kid tells his teacher that he wants to be the president of the US. It's not the teacher's responsibility to get him to that goal, nor is it the responsibility of the teacher to squash that dream. Rather, within the context of their interaction, the teacher/coach should layout a short-term plan that moves the kid down the identified path toward his/her goal. A coach who tells his kid that he should forget about long-term collegiate goals is doing something wrong. That said, coaches are just people, some of whom are flawed as people, who simply aren't well qualified to guide young people in the pursuit of their personal goals. If you want coaches (and teachers) to be these sort of amazing "personal trainers" then the system needs to pay them accordingly and demand additional training that would allow them to provide such level of service. As it stands, especially in WI, anyone who raise his/her hand can be put in charge of a cadre of young people and asked to lead. If the parents of youth who want well-qualified coaches/teachers to support such lofty goals, then they also need to understand that it comes at a cost; the "average Joe" off the street does not have the training, nor experience, to simply step in and "make it happen."

If you want more, then you should expect to pay more.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

SP

Quote from: aarons23 on July 30, 2016, 11:22:43 AM
1. PA- 58- 15AA
2. MN- 52- 10AA
3. IL- 46- 11AA
4. MI- 39- 8AA
5. IA- 34- 8AA
6. MO- 30- 7AA
7. OH- 25- 5AA
8. AZ- 24- 4AA
9. CA- 22- 5AA
10. CO- 21- 4AA
11. UT- 21- 2AA
12. OK- 19- 4AA
13. IN- 17- 3AA
14. FL- 15- 2AA
15. WI- 15- 5AA

I just want to point out every team that placed in front of us from SP's post above were at Junior duals and 6 of the teams had not 1 team but 2 teams.

Of the 120 AA in Junior Freestyle, only 56 of those kids earned AA status. Kneeslide posted these numbers earlier in the post. In my opinion Wisconsin is moving in the right direction. The camps and travel to regional events are making our state deeper. The numbers show this. The kids we are bringing to nationals are overall doing better. There is still room to improve but we are making progress.

I think we had five kids lose in the blood round. Lets say we won those five matches and each of those kids then placed 8th. That would have given us 20 points and 10 AA. Would that have been a success? Only 3 states had double digit AA's. We would have still been in 12th place but we would have had the third most AA's. Is that success? Give me your definition of success and then we can talk. While you are at it give me your plan to make our state better. The only thing I hear is that going to the duals will make us better. Show me the numbers.

I was talking to several coaches from Illinois and they all wished that their state would use our model and approach. They also said it would never work because their clubs hate each other and will not work together. Imagine if they did do what we do. They have over twice as many people in their state as we do. They would crush everyone. The same goes for PA and OH. Everyone else would be fighting for 4th place.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

aarons23

Quote from: SP on July 30, 2016, 04:10:36 PM
1. PA- 58- 15AA
2. MN- 52- 10AA
3. IL- 46- 11AA
4. MI- 39- 8AA
5. IA- 34- 8AA
6. MO- 30- 7AA
7. OH- 25- 5AA
8. AZ- 24- 4AA
9. CA- 22- 5AA
10. CO- 21- 4AA
11. UT- 21- 2AA
12. OK- 19- 4AA
13. IN- 17- 3AA
14. FL- 15- 2AA
15. WI- 15- 5AA

Of the 120 AA in Junior Freestyle, only 56 of those kids earned AA status. Kneeslide posted these numbers earlier in the post. In my opinion Wisconsin is moving in the right direction. The camps and travel to regional events are making our state deeper. The numbers show this. The kids we are bringing to nationals are overall doing better. There is still room to improve but we are making progress.

I think we had five kids lose in the blood round. Lets say we won those five matches and each of those kids then placed 8th. That would have given us 20 points and 10 AA. Would that have been a success? Only 3 states had double digit AA's. We would have still been in 12th place but we would have had the third most AA's. Is that success? Give me your definition of success and then we can talk. While you are at it give me your plan to make our state better. The only thing I hear is that going to the duals will make us better. Show me the numbers.

I was talking to several coaches from Illinois and they all wished that their state would use our model and approach. They also said it would never work because their clubs hate each other and will not work together. Imagine if they did do what we do. They have over twice as many people in their state as we do. They would crush everyone. The same goes for PA and OH. Everyone else would be fighting for 4th place.

What if???? What if we wrestle in the duals and those what if kids in the blood round win and get eigth place?  Are you truly suggesting that wrestling in a competive dual tournament like Junior duals isnt a good quality preparation for the grind of Fargo?

Do also truly believe that Illinios is looking at us and saying we should be more like Wisconsin and skip the duals?  I doubt it.

You keep asking for everyone elses plan...yet so far no one from the wwf has actually told us their plan...they just let rumors fly and let everyone guess.  Last year coaches were saying we were going back to schoolboy duals....this year the rumor is the coach says he doesnt like the reffing at duals so we are going to do a camp in Georgia and go to nationals there.....yet no one will confirm it.

So my plan....1) all teams go back to duals
                        2) revalute camp schedule so wrestlers arent showing up to Fargo stiff, sore, tired and some even hurt.
                         3) work with our colleges to get more college level coaches assisting at camps and coaching.
                        4) educate high school coaches and wrestlers of the importance of fargo and the duals.
                         5) get our elite clubs to work closer together to provide a more consistentcy in practice partners. ( some clubs are already doing this.)

Im not in the know like you are SP....so maybe some of these things are being done but bottom line is we are not competing with our neighbors, we are taking real recruiting oppoopportunities away from our atheletes by not attending duals and by not giving our atheletes every opportunity to get better we are not putting them in the best possition to be succesful at Fargo.....JMO

It's very strenuous! 

SP

Quote from: aarons23 on July 30, 2016, 04:37:21 PM
Quote from: SP on July 30, 2016, 04:10:36 PM
1. PA- 58- 15AA
2. MN- 52- 10AA
3. IL- 46- 11AA
4. MI- 39- 8AA
5. IA- 34- 8AA
6. MO- 30- 7AA
7. OH- 25- 5AA
8. AZ- 24- 4AA
9. CA- 22- 5AA
10. CO- 21- 4AA
11. UT- 21- 2AA
12. OK- 19- 4AA
13. IN- 17- 3AA
14. FL- 15- 2AA
15. WI- 15- 5AA

What if???? What if we wrestle in the duals and those what if kids in the blood round win and get eigth place?  Are you truly suggesting that wrestling in a competive dual tournament like Junior duals isnt a good quality preparation for the grind of Fargo?

Do also truly believe that Illinios is looking at us and saying we should be more like Wisconsin and skip the duals?  I doubt it.

You keep asking for everyone elses plan...yet so far no one from the wwf has actually told us their plan...they just let rumors fly and let everyone guess.  Last year coaches were saying we were going back to schoolboy duals....this year the rumor is the coach says he doesnt like the reffing at duals so we are going to do a camp in Georgia and go to nationals there.....yet no one will confirm it.

So my plan....1) all teams go back to duals
                        2) revalute camp schedule so wrestlers arent showing up to Fargo stiff, sore, tired and some even hurt.
                         3) work with our colleges to get more college level coaches assisting at camps and coaching.
                        4) educate high school coaches and wrestlers of the importance of fargo and the duals.
                         5) get our elite clubs to work closer together to provide a more consistentcy in practice partners. ( some clubs are already doing this.)

Im not in the know like you are SP....so maybe some of these things are being done but bottom line is we are not competing with our neighbors, we are taking real recruiting oppoopportunities away from our atheletes by not attending duals and by not giving our atheletes every opportunity to get better we are not putting them in the best possition to be succesful at Fargo.....JMO

1. Not going to happen anytime soon.
2. Camp practice schedule was set up for kids to arrive in Fargo ready to go. If kids were sore they were not wrestling on their own. They only had six practices in River Falls and very little live.
3. This year there were many college coaches on staff. Branvold, Ruschell, Schuck, Bera, Zwaska
4. This is always being done. Some people do not want to participate.
5. Already have this. Askrens, Owens, Steldt
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

aarons23

1) this is a poor decision ....what does the membership want?

So then....what is the plan to improve? What is the plan to at least be competitive with our neighbors?

We were told the changes were made to improve our showing at Fargo. I was told personally from the head coach that if it didnt work we would go back to duals.  Its been 3 years and there hasnt been any improvement and now the only word we get is   "not going to happen anytime soon"?

It's very strenuous! 

dman

aarons...answer SP's question...what is your definition of success?  Because based on the numbers it appears that WI has improved over the last 3 years.

aarons23

Quote from: dman on July 31, 2016, 09:13:28 AM
aarons...answer SP's question...what is your definition of success?  Because based on the numbers it appears that WI has improved over the last 3 years.

I know I may be slow....but what numbers are pointing to improvement in the last 6 years?

Is it unreasonable to think success should be associated with competing with our neighbors? Others keep throwing around success....I want to see improvement.  I want to give our atheletes the best shot at being seen and recruited.  IMO...we take a huge opportunity away from our kids by not going to the duals.  When a coach from Purdue says "Where was Wisconsin?" We are loosing a chance to get our kids infront of real opportunities.  When every team who placed in front of us has at least 1 team at the duals and many had two, we are limiting our atheletes chances to get noticed.  Also, its not just about AA....many kids get recruited who were never AA's, but they were seen on a couple different stages competing with some of the best in the country.

It's very strenuous! 

billymurphy

I do not buy for one second that we cannot get enough Wisconsin wrestlers
to field a competitive junior freestyle team.  There are wrestlers that very much
want to represent Wisconsin at the national duals in freestyle. Having only one wrestler
finish in the top four at fargo is a clear example of not being successful.   We need a coach that
has the desire to put a team together made up of wrestlers that want to compete, and
we should not have a leader of Wisconsin wrestling that tells us that kids would rather spend the summer
fishing so we are better off not sending a team. I cannot believe it. Send a team
to the junior national duals like we did when Dieringer was in high school.  Marko Hunter
should have been at the national duals but Wisconsin failed him.  Barry Davis did that
at Wisconsin also. I remember one year where Wisconsin was invited to attend the national duals
and Barry Davis turned it down because Wisconsin was so uncompetitive.  As a spectator, I attended
and watched Ben Askren bump up a weight to take on Minnesota's Kish in an attempt for Missouri
to beat Minnesota at the national duals.  Great action, but no Wisconsin there.  Barry has
had a change of heart now and realizes that avoiding competition is a bad way to get better results.