Corn on the cob ... how

Started by TomM, July 16, 2016, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Hi,
It's fresh picked corn on the cob season..
Bought six yesterday.. gave my neighbor two.
She wraps it (unpeeled) in paper towel and microwaves it for 2:30 minutes...

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Tom
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

ramjet

do not peel them soak the corn in fresh water for 3-6 hours.

Get your grill going then close it about 3/4 of the way put them on the grill turning about every 5 minutes.

Then with gloved hand peel them and dip them in butter and salt and pepper to taste.

bigG

The easy way would be to peel the whole deal, immerse ins salted, boiling water for 10-15 minutes, take out, butter, enjoy. If it's great corn, though, you should be able to eat it raw and love it. I used to work for Will Allen(kind of a Milwaukee area hero) when he sold sweet corn. Hoed many a row of sweet corn. Lunch time, we ate it raw and it is amazing. My test for any sweet corn I buy.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

dad 2 5

Quote from: ramjet on July 17, 2016, 08:22:56 AM
do not peel them soak the corn in fresh water for 3-6 hours.

Get your grill going then close it about 3/4 of the way put them on the grill turning about every 5 minutes.

Then with gloved hand peel them and dip them in butter and salt and pepper to taste.

Ram has a good thing going here. The last couple of years we have been pulling back the husk and seasoning it lightly with chili powder and cumin and then grilling it until hot. Than I make a cumin, lime, chili powder mayo and use it instead of butter.   

bigG

Viva Mexico!!!!! Love it like that!

I love grilling it as ram outlines. For parties, it's unbeatable; because the food has its own handle and doesn't need any plates or forks or "accoutrement."

Lay out all those "toppings" and let people customize their own corn.

I just thought Tom was seeking simplicity. Good corn needs no sugar water. Taste it raw, first.

bigG

If you grill it in the husk and you have a fire pit, get that pit fired up if you have people over. Throw all the "garbage" (left from the corn) into the fire and you have the perfect grill out.

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on July 17, 2016, 12:53:56 PM
If you grill it in the husk and you have a fire pit, get that pit fired up if you have people over. Throw all the "garbage" (left from the corn) into the fire and you have the perfect grill out.

I made flat grill plate rottiserie for a guy so he could cook over his campfire. I did an iron grill rack with an extended battery operated rotisserie. He loves it and makes allot of chicken and steak on it. 

bigG

I'm afraid I'd abuse such a configuration. Can you make me one for my wood stove? ;D