Smoked sides

Started by bigG, June 26, 2016, 03:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

People are finally hip to the resurgence of caste iron. My mom, though, found the big Lodge 12inch skillet in a Goodwill in Phoenix. Some silly discoloration on the bottom and it was $8. She called me when she was in the store, and said "grab it now!" All I have now, are 2 10", the big 12" and the bigger Dutch oven. Use all of them with great frequency. I perked up at a small shop by me when I saw a mess of caste iron; but no stamps on any of it. I feared China, so I backed out. Happy with my take.

I love jalapeno, Cheddah or Colby cheese, and creamed corn in my corn bread. You're right , though, jalapeno has just the right bite for that stuff.

I made a big loaf of no-knead bread today. Man, what an easy recipe with great bread! Bread made in a Dutch oven. No need to knead.

The only thing I usually won't cook in caste iron are eggs and fried potatoes. I'll do eggs if I have a mess of bacon fat for it to cook in; but you would need a lot of oil to keep them from sticking. My $5 non-stick stuff will last a year, and I toss it. Love me some eggs.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

I do use the heVy stainless fry pan for certain foods eggs is definitely one of them.

bigG

My only use for non-stick is with eggs or fried potatoes. I do have one stainless pan that is my sauté/saucier baby.

I never knew this, but in china the best woks are the heavier caste iron type. Passed down through generations like ours. How do I pick which kids gets what?

MarkK

It's easy in China.  One kid policy
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

bigG

LOL! I guess they're getting rid of that. Must be their own sort of manifest destiny.

ramjet

90 Degree outside my son wanted Pumkin Pie for this Birthday.

So we made it on the Big Green Egg tuned out fantastic. !!!!!!!!

bigG

I'm not a pie guy; but pumpkin and pecan work for me. I can't take really fruity/sugary pies.. Rhubarb being my exception/favorite. :)

MarkK

I'm all about the fruit pie, rhubarb, etc.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

bigG

I can handle apple, too. But blueberry and raspberry, et.al. are just too much for me. Hey, when you can't each much meat, ya gotta take what you can git.

ramjet

My wife makes a rubarb crumble that should be illegal it is sooooooo great!!!

bigG

Rhubarb is the perfect complement to sugar. My mom only gets back to WI once or twice per year; but she always leaves with a mountain of rhubarb. You don't see much rhubarb in AZ.

Crumble to me, is perfect. Not so much fruit/sugar. Got some textures mixed in there. Get some crunch with dat 'barb. If I grab milk from my neighbor's bulk tank, I let it sit to sort out the cream. Whip that up for some topping, and I can handle most pies. I still prefer cakey stuff. A nice, moist rhubarb cake kicks me into gear. Peach cobbler, and I'm all in.

I'm bread crazy lately. If you want to make successful bread, try the no knead recipes out there. Wow! Easy and perfect.

ramjet

No knead sounds like it may be dense?

That sounds like the bomb might be great for the Jalopeno corn bread cooked on the Big Green Egg !!!

We are baking that tomorrow on the BGE. ;D

bigG

The trick is baking it with moisture. Another nice trick is to measure flour by weight instead of volume. That way, the water you add to it will be just right and it won't be too moist. People often don't take the salt content seriously. Unlike most cooking, baking requires some accuracy for best results. The guy who invented no knead bread has an unreal successful bakery.

That pizza looks mighty fine!!! Pumpkin pie is always welcome in my house. Glad you're putting your egg to use.

MarkK

Quote from: bigG on July 26, 2016, 01:04:51 PM
Rhubarb is the perfect complement to sugar. My mom only gets back to WI once or twice per year; but she always leaves with a mountain of rhubarb. You don't see much rhubarb in AZ.

Crumble to me, is perfect. Not so much fruit/sugar. Got some textures mixed in there. Get some crunch with dat 'barb. If I grab milk from my neighbor's bulk tank, I let it sit to sort out the cream. Whip that up for some topping, and I can handle most pies. I still prefer cakey stuff. A nice, moist rhubarb cake kicks me into gear. Peach cobbler, and I'm all in.

I'm bread crazy lately. If you want to make successful bread, try the no knead recipes out there. Wow! Easy and perfect.

where is that recipe?

TomM

Quote from: MarkK on July 29, 2016, 10:14:51 PM
Quote from: bigG on July 26, 2016, 01:04:51 PM

where is that recipe?
;D
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"