Smoked sides

Started by bigG, June 26, 2016, 03:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Tom go to the local True Value get a charcoal called "Cowboy charcoal" it is natural and not full of Che,I also and adders. Never ever use matchless or lighter fluid to start your charcoal. Use a propane torch or get the electric starter. Why put all those chic,eicals into those delicious chicken breasts.

I suggest a marinade called "Grillmates" made by McCormick you can find the packets in the spice section usually at most grocery stores. They have several just for chicken and they are delicious and easy to use.

The idea is to follow the instructions get your grill going then grill those chicken breasts to get an internal temp of 175-185 so they are done. Time and all that is guessing game without a meat thermometer. The marinades I described above will help infuse great flavor and moisture to that chicken. when your done just shut thenWeber grill down and you can use the left over charcoal aging at a later date by just adding some more.

MarkK

YOu are right on the meat thermometer.  I use it all the time. Oh I used to use it all the time.  Now it's just chicken breasts.   I do have to ask you though on your temp.  Isn't 165 internal temp for chicken right?
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

dad 2 5

165 internal is correct for chicken

TomM

Thanks guys.. Much appreciated.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

ramjet

Quote from: MarkK on July 16, 2016, 01:05:48 PM
YOu are right on the meat thermometer.  I use it all the time. Oh I used to use it all the time.  Now it's just chicken breasts.   I do have to ask you though on your temp.  Isn't 165 internal temp for chicken right?

I prefer 175 deg F  then when it sits it will increase some.

bigG

My thing is, breasts grill so quickly, you'd never even taste the smoke of the coals.

Have some old paint cans? Make your own coal. Can also be done in a 55 gal. drum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNygH_09CwQ

NOTE: Burn out dat paint can, fist. :) Another Gump; but ya never know. :D
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

dad 2 5

Quote from: bigG on July 17, 2016, 11:24:08 AM
My thing is, breasts grill so quickly, you'd never even taste the smoke of the coals.

Have some old paint cans? Make your own coal. Can also be done in a 55 gal. drum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNygH_09CwQ

So if you get wood chips and soak them and let the closed grill get some good smoke going it will get to the meat, also turn the temp down and let it go low and slow

bigG

Not enough fat in bnlss/sknlss breasts to go low and slow unless you keep adding fat as it cooks, IMHO.

Chicken with skin and on the bone are great for low and slow. Breasts, me thinks, are much better hot and quick. Caste iron, baby. Just my preference.

dad 2 5

Quote from: bigG on July 17, 2016, 11:29:44 AM
Not enough fat in bnlss/sknlss breasts to go low and slow unless you keep adding fat as it cooks, IMHO.

Chicken with skin and on the bone are great for low and slow. Breasts, me thinks, are much better hot and quick. Caste iron, baby. Just my preference.
Cast Iron ROCKS for that!!!

ramjet

Best roast beef ever is made in a Cast Iron Dutch Oven BEST EVER.....

I have been using a Lodge cast iron agrill plate on my Green Egg best of both worlds the benefit of cast iron cooking with the even smoke and heat from the natural charcoal. 

bigG

Nice pairing, there. I highly recommend Lodge, as it is the only one made in the USA, I'm thinking. I don't trust no Chinese caste iron.

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on July 17, 2016, 09:30:00 PM
Nice pairing, there. I highly recommend Lodge, as it is the only one made in the USA, I'm thinking. I don't trust no Chinese caste iron.

All six pcs of mine is Lodge great stuff.

bigG

Last you a couple lifetimes.

The Dutch oven is amongst the greatest cookery inventions in history. I always bring mine camping and just use the fire pit to cook our grub.

One of the best bread recipes (yup, BREAD) is no knead bread in a Ditch oven. Turns out amazing. Also, if you make your own tomato sauce for pasta, this is your baby.

MarkK

I have lodge as well but I have some vintage cast iron that is fabulous.  Griswold and Wagner.   Stuff just lasts forever.  It is always my go to
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on July 19, 2016, 08:09:32 AM
Last you a couple lifetimes.

The Dutch oven is amongst the greatest cookery inventions in history. I always bring mine camping and just use the fire pit to cook our grub.

One of the best bread recipes (yup, BREAD) is no knead bread in a Ditch oven. Turns out amazing. Also, if you make your own tomato sauce for pasta, this is your baby.

Cornbread in a Dutch Oven is heaven especially if you add diced Jalopeno to the batter.

It's funny I rarely go to yard sales but one of the things I always look for is good cast iron cookware. Rarely do I find any.