Smoked sides

Started by bigG, June 26, 2016, 03:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

What'chyouse guys make for sides when you brill/BBQ/smoke? Mt bro gave me this one, takes as long as the meat and , hoo boy! good. Core a cabbage, take a half stick of butter, cram it in where the core was, coat some thick foil with olive oil, wrap that cabbage and keep it near the meat you smoke. 6-10 hours of low and slow, and you open the gift and it's heaven. I love the typical baked beans and slaw; but this, even though it's warm, is a great side.

Give me some ideas.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

Vineger based fresh slaw is the bomb. Crunch is best.

I love grilled asparagus coat with a light coating of garlic infused olive oil light ley seasoned then grill.

My new fav for an appetizer is the cream cheese bacon wrapped Jalopeno popper grilled. Another favorite is bacon wrapped shrimp grilled.   

As long as we are talking about Jalopeno peppers nothing goes with smoked ribs like Jalopeno Corn Bread made from scratch.....

Of course a good BBQ calls for a heavy dark Ale.  ;D

bigG

Jale corn bread is a heaven send.

I do those shrimp, too. Shrimp are surprisingly affordable, lately. I just can't handle the pre-cooked/peeled. Gotta be raw in the shell.

For me, the brew depends on the weather.

I got vinegar over creamy with slaw, too. I also do a spinach salad, made with green onions, cilantro, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, grated muenster, radishes, cucs, cherry tomatoes tossed in a mustard-based dressing.

ramjet

Spinach salad with a hot bacon dressing.......yum yum

MarkK

This whole thing is really ticking me off.  I've had for the past 3 months been dealing with a gout thing.  90% of the time it is in control.  But you know what that has meant, laying off the decadent meats.   It's driving me crazy.   But I'm feeling fine so it is a trade off.  I'm salivating now and it's all your faults.  Arrggh.  And through it all carbs are more satisfying and bad for me. 
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

ramjet

Quote from: MarkK on July 11, 2016, 09:32:48 AM
This whole thing is really ticking me off.  I've had for the past 3 months been dealing with a gout thing.  90% of the time it is in control.  But you know what that has meant, laying off the decadent meats.   It's driving me crazy.   But I'm feeling fine so it is a trade off.  I'm salivating now and it's all your faults.  Arrggh.  And through it all carbs are more satisfying and bad for me. 

Hopefully you will get feeling better and partake.

bigG

Quote from: ramjet on June 29, 2016, 10:05:39 PM
Spinach salad with a hot bacon dressing.......yum yum

If my daughter had to pick a favorite side, you just nailed it. Bacon fat and vinegar make the best dressing (a little sugar/honey in there goes a long way).

Rod, one of my buds gets gout really bad (I'm guessing it gets your attention, too :(). We like to eat pickled meats when we go hunting and his knee is double sized the day after pickled beef heart.

I need to avoid carbs, too. At least I can hit the protein hard. I feel for ya. Even regular baked chicken/pork/beef set it off? With my pal, it's only pickled stuff.

bigG

Ram, what've you been making in that egg, lately. I am intrigued by the product.

MarkK

I haven't figured out the trigger foods.  But chicken seems OK.  So I will have that at least. 
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on July 12, 2016, 08:56:27 AM
Ram, what've you been making in that egg, lately. I am intrigued by the product.

Oh man G it is an awesome grill. This week end I split a very nice chicken used indirect heat at 340 deg F early on I added small peice of green Beechwood for some smoke. Then we basted it through out with a very delicious Vineger based Home brewed BBQ sauce. The brown sugar carmelized to deep red coating the chicken took 1.5 hours. It was moist and very tasty.

Did pizza tonight pepperoni and sausage home made pizza dough and sauce made with tomato base red wine , Parmesan cheese smoked paprika and few other secret ingredients. Athens a real fish low water mozzarella. Cooked on a pizza stone indirect heat at 600 degrees.

Going to do ribs this weekend. I love country style with the same BBQ sauce mentioned above but first cooked some with slices of lemon and onions then the smoking begins ......... slow and low.

bigG

MMMMMMM. I'm just grillin' some chicken tonight. Still, after all the years and technology, I'll take charcoal chicken any day. Glad you like your new toy9s).  :)

TomM

(disclaimer: I have hardly ever grilled in my life. Just started using gas grill in past two years.. and just a bit with simple stuff... burgers, chicken, steak, asparagus)

I also have a Weber grill (charcoal grill I inherited) ...

If I am going to do two boneless chicken breasts over charcoal how much charcoal do I place in the grill?

Thanks in advance... when you stop laughing at me please respond.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

MarkK

You shouldn't use charcoal in your gas grill

TomM

Quote from: MarkK on July 14, 2016, 02:58:45 PM
You shouldn't use charcoal in your gas grill

Thank you Pvt. Gump!  8)

To clarify...

Quote from: TomM on July 14, 2016, 11:37:12 AM
;D
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

Quote from: TomM on July 14, 2016, 11:37:12 AM
(disclaimer: I have hardly ever grilled in my life. Just started using gas grill in past two years.. and just a bit with simple stuff... burgers, chicken, steak, asparagus)

If I am going to do two boneless chicken breasts over charcoal how much charcoal do I place in the grill?

Thanks in advance... when you stop laughing at me please respond.

You'll need about $1.50 worth of coal just for those two breasts. Those puppies tend to dry out quickly, especially on unregulated heat. I'd just marinate those (you can find some cheap teriyaki sauce in the dollar store) and grease up some caste iron, once you see a little smoke from the oil/grease throw '-em in, flip when you see color moving up the sides, finish in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes, turn the oven off, let them sit in there for 10 more minutes with the oven off.

Have you tried the boneless thighs? I'm hooked.