Bread

Started by bigG, June 13, 2016, 04:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

My favorite food. Good bread and butter are my desert island food. Over the years, I got into to making big ole soft pretzels, and my kids go nuts over them. I see the price they want for these pretzel rolls; so, I figured I'd give them a shot. Might be the best bread you ever make. You can make them for like a buck a dozen (literally).

I used this recipe.

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/amazing-soft-pretzel-rolls/

Dang good!!!
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MarkK

Those look good.  I will ahve to try the recipe.  I'll let you know how it turns out.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

bigG

I recommend to buy a spider (that little wire basket on a stick the Chinese use to fish stuff out of woks) to fish them out of the boil. I think I paid $3 for mine.

It's the boiling and baking soda that give them that deep brown color when backed. Hope you like yours as much as I liked mine. Also don't neglect to oil the baking surface you set them on. They will stick, big time, if you don't.

TomM

jeepers... I thought it read 'dread' ....  ???
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

ramjet

Pizza dough is as close as I get to bread but remember,bet as kid My mom making it. Project intercept the moment it hit the bread board!

bigG

This is just pizza/bagel dough that you boil with baking soda, then bake.

That's all a pretzel is. In most countries "pretzel" and "bagel" are one word.

But it is pizza dough, in essence. Just ballin' it up, boiling and baking.

You get good at that one dough and you can make great breads. Add honey and full-fat yogurt to that and you make naan. Simple stuff, bud. The only problem is when it's still warm and people are tearin' it up, they're taking in some serious carbs; and I try to go hi-pro, most of the time. When I carb, I try to carb well. I can overdose on carbs when I make some of these. Good thing I have kids.  :)

Try this out, Ram. I bet it'll be the prefect vehicle for some of the proteins you make. Wish I had a cool emoji, like you got, for right here. MMM!

bigG

Hey! Just thinkin'. If you have a pizza stone, dump a little corn meal on it, spread 'er round, then a pizza tossed with this dough. Pre bake it at 500 for 5 minutes, on the corn meal stone, then add toppings and reduce to 400 degrees and top shelf it. If you want some color to the cheese, use the broiler function for 2-3 minutes. Never leave a broiled anything unattended, kids!!! Cornmeal on the bottom makes it, Ram. That little separation is like magic.

bigG

Quote from: TomM on June 13, 2016, 08:48:51 PM
jeepers... I thought it read 'dread' ....  ???

No, like the band....Bread. "Baby, I'm a want you..."

You "need" this dough, Tom. :D

ramjet

yea we use corn meal for our pizza dough every time we make it works great. 🍕

Good stuff G

bigG

If you can make that dough, you can make this dough. Same dough.

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on June 15, 2016, 01:52:01 PM
If you can make that dough, you can make this dough. Same dough.

you sound like Homer Simpson!!!!!!! Dooouuugh ! 😄😄😄😄😄😄

And I can make it in my new Green Egg grill  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well tomorrow anyways 🍻😄😄😄🍻

bigG

Oh no! You joined the cult, eh? My Green Egg buddy is just nuts like that.

Let us know what you all make on there.

TomM

First up, green eggs and ham?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on June 17, 2016, 07:26:39 AM
Oh no! You joined the cult, eh? My Green Egg buddy is just nuts like that.

Let us know what you all make on there.

Well we used the convection stone and made a chicken today low and slow.

Temperature regulation was incredibly accurate ran at 250 deg F.

The chicken was delicious moist and great flavor.

I was amazed at the little charcoal that it used for the  4 hour slow and low cook.

Pizza stone will not be in till next week. When it gets in we will make a garlic chicken and pesto pizza with fresh mozzarella and thinly sliced tomatoes and of course home made crust. Cooking time will be in the 7-8 minute mark.

bigG

Hm! Sounds interesting. Gonna have to make your own charcoal, soon.