4 Gophers wrestlers under investigation for selling Xanax

Started by hammen, May 25, 2016, 09:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammen

Every sport has their dirty laundry. Accusations of a group selling/distributing Xanax is very serious and has no place at a university, regardless of who the student is.

Handles II

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/05/26/minnesota-wrestlers-caught-selling-xanax-coach-has-them-write-essay/

Whoa! This piece really sets it where it should. The wrestlers put J in a position to end his career, I think by his response to the situation, he did.
Not good. :(

hammen

Ouch - washingtonpost now. This is escalating quickly. The Baylor football coach just got dismissed for matters much more serious, but it just goes to show that the exit of a coach is the easiest/most convenient way for the department to handle it.

GradeTough

After seeing Baylor stand up and fire the coach I have a lot of respect from them rather than try and dismiss/hide/ignore this like so many other big time football programs. They actually honored their mission statement. With this being announced the pressure is on Minnesota. J Rob is done!

MNbadger

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

hammen

Will be interesting if they hire within or go external from the current staff. Obviously depends on any involvement of others in the allegations.

Stripes

Not condoning what he did, I feel he should probably be fired, but there is some irony in Minnesota. A month ago, Prince dies, all signs pointing to "drug related complications" and the state goes into mourning. The twin cities were lit up in purple. Governor Walker and the POTUS had press releases on his death.

Now, J, who tried to stop abuse and dealing, albeit through the wrong channels/choices, will be vilified, criminalized, and destroyed. He will not be honored for all the good he did, all the wrestlers he affected, and lives he changed.

Kind of a double standard.

MNbadger

You are correct, Stripes.  They also have re-upped Pitino's BB contract, rewarding him for abject failure over time.  To top it off, he has a bunch of criminals as well.
How hard is it to go to school and wrestle, or play BB or whatever?  All I ever wanted was to do my classwork, wrestle (I felt honored just to get to do so), and hunt and fish some. 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

hammen

Quote from: thedecider on May 26, 2016, 03:23:49 PM
Quote from: hammen on May 26, 2016, 10:37:00 AM
Every sport has their dirty laundry. Accusations of a group selling/distributing Xanax is very serious and has no place at a university, regardless of who the student is.

What about an athlete using a prescription drug like adderall?

Pennies compared to selling thousands of prescription drugs for a profit. You know, drug dealing?

hammen

Speeding is bad too. Miles from drug dealing. This is pretty unprecedented across all college sports. I can't remember a story like this.

Ghetto

The amount of pills is going to be the nail that closes things. 2800 pills? 1400 were dumped by JRob? It's something he should have gone to the police about. Again, I get that those are his guys (Were. Dude will be fired no question) but you don't want those guys in your program anyway. That slippery slope is more than a gradual incline.

Interesting to see how long this takes, which kids get shown the road, etc.

I wonder if Minnesota will sanction itself, and I wonder what that means to potential recruits. I wonder if that changes Marko's mind at all as well.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

ChargerDad

Quote from: hammen on May 26, 2016, 12:25:54 PM
Will be interesting if they hire within or go external from the current staff. Obviously depends on any involvement of others in the allegations.

I heard BD is on the short list ;-)

Ghetto

Looks like it is time for St. Donny to jump ship once again.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

hammen