4 Gophers wrestlers under investigation for selling Xanax

Started by hammen, May 25, 2016, 09:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GradeTough

Oh boy...this is going to get interesting. I have a lot of respect for Coach J Robinson. He appears to be attempting to self-police the team. Which is great but hopefully not in a dismissive way to investigators. While not an illegal drug the prescription drug is being used haphazardly.

hammen

The selling of prescription drugs is a serious and dangerous crime, most likely a felony w/ prison time. I'm hoping the allegations are false.

GradeTough

Oh wooow. I hope it is false as well. I feel bad for that program.

Stripes

I can hear the drums and trumpets... The BD supporters are rising up.... The new battle cry... At least we have good kids who aren't druggies... Barry has too much character to cover up something like this...

On a related note, I believe this will lead to the exit of JRob as he has finally given the U a firm enough reason to get rid of him.

Ghetto

I don't have feelings one way or the other regarding JRob, but doesn't that look like obstruction of justice from the article? It doesn't look good, no matter who the coach is.

Failing to aid in an investigation has got to be grounds for a dismissal. I get being true to your guys, but that's too big of a deal to fall on the sword for them.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

BOURNE

It doesn't look like he knew anything about selling the drugs, only that he found out that some were using xanax. For that matter, it doesn't say that he knew for sure whether or not they were the wrestlers' prescriptions, only that they were prescription drugs. You can certainly do a lot of speculation but I'd hate to see a guy with that legacy go down for trying to make men and solid citizens out these kids.

Ghetto

Taking the drug isn't the issue. Dealing it is. Even taking 1 penny for it makes it a sale, and for the program that's an issue.

The article is well written speculation. It refers to closed door meetings and telling guys to lawyer up, which pushes the assumption that JRob knew, but doesn't come out and say it.

Let's hope nothing big comes of it. Wrestling doesn't need any issues like that.

Kodonnelllaw

Sadly, its the beginning of the end (IMO) for J Rob.

While different, and there were additional issues unrelated to the wrestling program, see the Tim Fader firing. This is 10 x more serious than Fader's failure to follow proper protocol in the reporting hierarchy. State Statute violations, NCAA violations, and potential additional consequences. Throw in the fact that Media is on this early...

IMO

hammen

Quote from: thedecider on May 25, 2016, 10:35:09 PM
Hammen, those who live in a glass house shouldn't throw stones.

Lol. Ok? Those who sell prescription drugs illegally shouldn't.

hammen

Quote from: Kodonnelllaw on May 26, 2016, 08:06:27 AM
Sadly, its the beginning of the end (IMO) for J Rob.

While different, and there were additional issues unrelated to the wrestling program, see the Tim Fader firing. This is 10 x more serious than Fader's failure to follow proper protocol in the reporting hierarchy. State Statute violations, NCAA violations, and potential additional consequences. Throw in the fact that Media is on this early...

IMO

Agreed - the way the media work the article it looks really bad for JRob. For something as serious as this, and with a new AD, I can't see this ending well.

ElectricGuy

Huge Jrob fan, but it gets worse if these numbers prove to be close. I can't see how he survives.  I see his documentary is down now, heard it first came down maybe due to it created a recruiting violation (not sure how), but probably is going to stay down for a while now.

http://m.startribune.com/source-gophers-wrestling-coach-sought-to-handle-xanax-abuse-internally/380899191/
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

bkraus

This doesn't look good for J Rob.  That language in his contract might very well be the writing on the wall.
Strive for Perfection

Ghetto

What is with Minnesota's athletic teams? The basketball team has had a ton of issues as well.

It's all that frustration with the Vikings maybe.  ;)

GradeTough

Ghetto,

You are right this school has had some issues recently. I hope they get it together and it doesn't spread into other sports. My daughter plays soccer for the Gophers!