WWCA looking for head coaches' opinions

Started by CLC FAN, April 01, 2016, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestlemania

"So the WWCA is interested in feedback on a reduction of weight classes but wont consider JHI?? I think this sums up WI wrestling to the tee.
I am so embarrassed I don't know where to start."

My thoughts exactly. They think beating a dead horse constitutes "feedback". It's ridiculous. How many times does it have to be beaten into their heads the WIAA is not going to defy the NFHS on this?

Yes the WIAA will listen to the coaches' association for changes in the sport. But if this is the quality of the "feedback" then don't hold your breath on anything other than perhaps seeding. JHI and changing the regional structure on the D-2 and D-3 level and the team tournament series are the needed changes and yet what questions are there about them? Anything?

Ghetto

Send your suggestions to the WWCA. If you aren't a coach, send them to me and I'll send them on.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Coach Q

Survey results are listed on the WWCA website at www.wwca.org

crossface21

What jumped out to me:

80% of coaches would be in favor of starting after Thanksgiving
Over 70% would be in favor of dropping to at least 13 weight classes
Over 80% on board with the 2 piece uniform

Handles II

That really sucks Woody. I would think that to at least the board members, if not the coaches, that double elim at state is a pretty big deal...

A few questions had a breakdown of D1,2,3. I'd be curious (not that it really matters) that breakdown for all of those questions. 

MNbadger

If my understanding is correct.... a state can have whatever rules it wants, including weights.  If they choose not to follow the national rules they lose a seat at the national tabl for decision-making and such.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Barou

Quote from: Coach Q on April 11, 2016, 06:57:38 PM
Survey results are listed on the WWCA website at www.wwca.org

Thanks for posting.

So is junior high inclusion completely off the table? 
JHI Mafia

bulldog

Just my 2 cents on the last question. I noticed it did not ask if anyone was in favor of increasing the number of weight classes. To have a good survey you should include all options. They also ask 2 "NO" questions and only one "YES" question. Typically that will drive up the # of "NO" responses. IMO, surveys should not use "NO" or "YES" because people tend to lean towards "YES" because they don't like to say "NO".

And, I see they are asking if you would be in favor of the NFHS lowering the number of weight classes. They didn't ask if they were in favor of the WIAA lowering the number of weight classes. As I understand it, Wisconsin is not bound to do what the NFHS does. So...in reality question #8 is poorly written and does not directly relate to Wisconsin wrestling. Anyone that has had basic stats would throw this question out because it was leading.

As for JHI inclusion...has anyone ever heard why the WIAA is so against it? IMO it would be an opportunity for the WIAA to increase their revenue because they would be able to add all junior high locations in to the WIAA.

Barou

Quote from: getyourpoints on April 12, 2016, 08:23:55 AM
Barou,
We don't need JHI if we cut 106 & 113.
It sounds like the WIAA has told the WWCA that it's never going to be on the table.

Appreciate the reply too bad the answers stink.  I would love to see weight classes down to 12 but kind of thought it would be a reshuffle not cut 106 and 113.  That's crazy.  Even STILL, JHI isn't about just filling the 2 lowest weight classes.  Drives me crazy that people are so stupid.  The fact that the WIAA has told the WWCA that it's never going to be on the table just confirms how narcissistic and short-sighted the WIAA is.  Agree with it or disagree with it, I get it but to state something is "never" going to be on the table.....go back to writing sportsmanship memos.
JHI Mafia

padre

Sounds terrible to me.  Supposed to be the toughest sport and we want our season 4-5 weeks shorter than the basketball seasons.  Give me a break.  If coaches don't even want a decent size season i can see how hard they must be recruiting also.

Ghetto

Wisconsin does not have voting privileges right now even though we have 14 weights.

The WIAA will not go to 12 weights unless the national federation does.

IF we went to 12 weights there would be a reshuffle. If we dispersed the weights according to what kids really weigh, there would be no 106 pound weight class. The percentage of kids who weigh that actual weight at the bodyfat and below is a very small percentage. Like 4%. Whether we had 14, 13, or 12 weights, the bottom weight, if we went by what kids weighed, would be around 113 and wouldn't change much no matter if we had 12, 13, or 14.

MNbadger

Quote from: Ghetto on April 12, 2016, 12:27:38 PM
Wisconsin does not have voting privileges right now even though we have 14 weights.

The WIAA will not go to 12 weights unless the national federation does.

IF we went to 12 weights there would be a reshuffle. If we dispersed the weights according to what kids really weigh, there would be no 106 pound weight class. The percentage of kids who weigh that actual weight at the bodyfat and below is a very small percentage. Like 4%. Whether we had 14, 13, or 12 weights, the bottom weight, if we went by what kids weighed, would be around 113 and wouldn't change much no matter if we had 12, 13, or 14.

Not necessarily.  It depends upon what part of the bell curve you decide to use.

If you are going to cut 103 and 106 then you'll need to cut the two top weights if you are intellectually and statistically honest/accurate.

From the middle 97%:

9th grade age to 12th grade age would be  82 pounds to 210 pounds (I am assuming you are for dropping the weights above 210 pounds if you are in support of dropping 103 and 106).
http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set2clinical/cj41l071.pdf

From the middle 95%:

9th grade age to 12th grade age would be 88 pounds to 206 pounds. (I am assuming you are for dropping the weights above 206 pounds if you are in support of dropping 103 and 106).
http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set1clinical/cj41l021.pdf

This is data from the CDC growth charts.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Barou

Quote from: Ghetto on April 12, 2016, 12:27:38 PM

Why doesn't Wisconsin have voting privileges?
JHI Mafia

Ghetto

I forget all the reasons.

One is the half pound per day weight loss. The rest of the country does it differently. I think there are two more reasons, which the WWCA is trying to remedy.

bulldog

Ghetto...thanks for posting the CDC growth charts. Interesting information