WWCA looking for head coaches' opinions

Started by CLC FAN, April 01, 2016, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

How do you know that Wisconsin is the only state to consider reducing weights? I know that it has been discussed on the Minnesota forum at length, with much debate like on here. We aren't the only ones not filling weights. Go look at the state tournaments from other states that have kids with losing records, or no record at all at state. How sad is it for the sport when a kid with a 0-0 record or 4-20 record qualifies? Imagine if a 4-20 basketball team made it to state in Wisconsin. People would think it was a complete joke.

The issue I see with shortening the season is that the number of events stays the same. Everything gets condensed into a smaller package. I do like the idea of starting after Thanksgiving though. Gives football players a rest, and takes family vacations and hunting out of the picture.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

padre

Quote from: goldmedal on April 05, 2016, 03:22:39 PM
The question on having season starting after Thanksgiving I think would be a positive. I do believe a lot of programs would pick up a few more wrestlers if this was to happen and I'm sure this is why basketball is doing it. Lets face it wrestling season is a long grueling season thus shortening it up would be a positive not just to gain possibly more wrestlers but at same time keep kids motivated and maybe a little more hungry when the season starts.

So let me get this straight. Competition then cannot begin until 3rd week of December due to minimum 10 practices.  4th week of December is Christmas break. Come back January 4th and those that aren't on varsity are done competing last week of January due to post season starting. So non varsity kids basically have 5 weeks to compete.  Pure nonsense. And you really think you are going to pick up anyone extra because of this? Why? Even if you could they have very little time to even learn what the heck is going on. Sure they could practice an extra couple weeks with the team at the end of the season but how many would want to do that when done competing?

State boys basketball is two weeks after ours. I didn't hear they were moving season back but even if they did our seasons would be same length if they started after thanksgiving.

Ghetto

Boys and girls basketball alternate starts. Boys I believe were a week behind this year.

Here's an example of us being proactive with uniforms. We tend to lead and not follow on some things...

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/40808-multiple-states-considering-shorts-shirt-uniform-change

padre

Quote from: Ghetto on April 06, 2016, 09:55:24 AM
How do you know that Wisconsin is the only state to consider reducing weights? I know that it has been discussed on the Minnesota forum at length, with much debate like on here. We aren't the only ones not filling weights. Go look at the state tournaments from other states that have kids with losing records, or no record at all at state. How sad is it for the sport when a kid with a 0-0 record or 4-20 record qualifies? Imagine if a 4-20 basketball team made it to state in Wisconsin. People would think it was a complete joke.

The issue I see with shortening the season is that the number of events stays the same. Everything gets condensed into a smaller package. I do like the idea of starting after Thanksgiving though. Gives football players a rest, and takes family vacations and hunting out of the picture.

Very few football teams have to worry about that rest. It's the same for 3 sport kids from sport to sport.

Youth wrestling goes an extra month before their state tournament and I don't see a big string of discussion there complaining. Wrestling is not that long of a season with the breaks you get. Most kids tell me they can't believe how fast it goes by.

Ghetto

I think there are positives to starting later. I'm not sold either way. Our football team rarely gets that far. Thanksgiving vacations some times get in the way however.

padre

Quote from: Ghetto on April 06, 2016, 10:02:54 AM
Boys and girls basketball alternate starts. Boys I believe were a week behind this year.

Here's an example of us being proactive with uniforms. We tend to lead and not follow on some things...

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/40808-multiple-states-considering-shorts-shirt-uniform-change

This is true but whatever team has the earlier state tournament always starts practicing a week before wrestling starts. So no matter what they are 2 weeks longer.

Barou

Quote from: Handles II on April 06, 2016, 09:48:32 AM

The WIAA and A.D.'s have no interest in JHI. It won't fly even if wrestling coaches wanted it. All sports would need to push for it, and that won't happen. 

I have no doubt that is 100% true.  Extremely unfortunate that the WIAA and our A.D.'s are that lazy, uninformed, close-minded, and reactive instead of proactive.  The WIAA will think outside of the box when, in their opinion, they think they are paving the way with such innovation on sportsmanship that they dedicate their time and resources to that failed memo and make us a punch-line nationwide but when real, positive change could be made "whoa, hold-on, easy!!! pump the brakes" "junior high athletes competing with high school athletes?  The insanity.  What?  They do that in Minnesota?  And it works?  Doesn't matter, we are all smarter then the people of the Minnesota State High School League.  We are the WIAA.  If you're not sure how smart we are, just ask us.  In fact, we're so observant we believe it is unsportsmanlike to yell 'airball' and 'scoreboard' during basketball games.  We're going to address it.  High school organizations are going to be so impressed they will follow our lead!"
JHI Mafia

DocWrestling

The coaches can get the WIAA's ear for wrestling specific changes.

JHI would be a complete philosophical change and would be directed by all sports.  Wrestling would need many other sports to also support JHI to make it happen with the WIAA.  It is not something wrestling could do on its own.

Minnesota has JHI for every sport I believe, not just wrestling.

I could see many AD's getting behind it though if it means they can eliminate the middle school programs and that is my fear.  With budget cuts does Minnesota have AD's just have all junior high wrestlers go to varsity.

The other definition is what is "junior high".  Our whole middle school wrestling conference just got blown up and I guess it is because some schools wanted to include 5th graders and others did not.  Some middle schools/junior highs have 5th graders. 

It needs a new name other than JHI so it is only 7th/8th graders besides the fact that very few "junior highs" actually exist as most are "middle schools".
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

padre

Quote from: DocWrestling on April 06, 2016, 11:30:01 AM

JHI would be a complete philosophical change and would be directed by all sports.  Wrestling would need many other sports to also support JHI to make it happen with the WIAA.  It is not something wrestling could do on its own.

I could see many AD's getting behind it though if it means they can eliminate the middle school programs and that is my fear.  With budget cuts does Minnesota have AD's just have all junior high wrestlers go to varsity.

The other definition is what is "junior high".  Our whole middle school wrestling conference just got blown up and I guess it is because some schools wanted to include 5th graders and others did not.  Some middle schools/junior highs have 5th graders. 

It needs a new name other than JHI so it is only 7th/8th graders besides the fact that very few "junior highs" actually exist as most are "middle schools".

There were multiple reasons that junior high conference got blown up.

Handles II

Quote from: getyourpoints on April 06, 2016, 10:18:12 AM
Handles,
You bring up a great point about "When in Rome", so does this mean that at our better tournaments that attract or invite out of state competition that they would need to cut kids to attend our tournaments?
As a leader let's fight for keeping more opportunity for kids and not be defeatist that cuts kids out of the sport because some coaches and community's can't grow the sport.
How does that sound like leadership to anyone?
Leadership: an effective leader is a person who does the following: creates an inspiring vision of the future. Motivates and inspires people to engage with that vision.
If it's ok with you Handles I will teach my son and inspire my community to set goals and work towards being great!!!
Great students
Great young people
Great team mates
Great winners/losers
Great recruiters
Great dreamers
Great executors

No, no one would need to be cut. But they might have to wrestle off for the opportunity to be at that weight for one tournament.

Barou

Quote from: padre on April 06, 2016, 12:18:50 PM

Any good reasons padre?
JHI Mafia

kluevercoach

Barou yep the coaches wanted a say in how the conference was run. Now have a 18 teams and tonight we will all get together at the conference meeting to decide if any changes are necessary.

padre

Quote from: Barou on April 06, 2016, 01:18:49 PM
Quote from: padre on April 06, 2016, 12:18:50 PM

Any good reasons padre?

As Kluever said teams wanted a voice.  Won't air dirty laundry but sometimes change is good. :)

GradeTough

Is it possible to get some insight into why JHI conferences were terminated without airing dirty laundry? For those that are unaware it is helpful to get some form of understanding. Thanks.

littleguy301

It is also up to some of the school whether they want to fully use JHI or not.

I know some schools in basketball dont allow kids to be on JV or V until 8th grade, Strictly a school thing.

Also there are some school that dont have JHI kids on varsity for football. Once again it is strictly a school policy.

Also, Minnesota does have middle school sports. Many believe that wrestling and other sports line ups are littered with JHI which is not true at all.

Sure there are some 7th and 8th graders that are on varsity and mainly in the individual sport aspect of it but in the team sports like football and basketball it is a lower amount of kids. not saying there is no kids but the numbers are alot less than wrestling and other individual sports.

Middle school is alive and well in minnesota and yes almost ALL minnesota schools put out a competitive team with a school nickname and uniforms ;)

If JHI is so great than why is there like 5 states that have this?

Also, depends on where you are at, at my school, they think of 6-8th grader as junior high. Next year our middle school (grades 5-8) will become a 6-8 grade and carry the moniker of junior high. So I think the how many call junior high is strictly up to the district them selves or what your AD wants to think of sporting events being called that.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet