WWCA looking for head coaches' opinions

Started by CLC FAN, April 01, 2016, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Numbers

What are the current Wisconsin rules for entering "Varsity Reserve" kids in a varsity tournament?

If I am using the term correctly, these kids are good enough to be .500 or above on varsity if they could crack the lineup of their own school.  They are not eligible for the JV state tournament since they are varsity caliber.  Where/How do these high school kids get the quality matches during the season to improve and want to continue to be wrestlers.

Can you enter the Bi-State as "Hudson-Reserve" without scoring team points for example?  Would it only be allowed if your varsity team also entered?  If not, has this been considered for a possible rule change? 

stritch

I think the way things are currently done, Varsity Reserve is just a nice term for JV.  There aren't any criteria forskill of wrestler such as being varsity caliber.
As far as rules, you can enter a Varsity Reserve team into a tournament, but its up to the tournament host whether or not they will accept a Varsity Reserve Team.  If a team wishes to enter wrestlers as varsity reserve, they must designate them as such and the tournament must know ahead of time that is what team you are sending.  The event must also be listed on your schedule as varsity reserve otherwise it would count against your limit of 7 varsity tournaments.  I doubt a tournament the caliber of Bi state would accept a varsity reserve team, but many smaller tournaments have them.  And they are able to count team points.

Numbers

Quote from: stritch on April 15, 2016, 06:04:31 PM
I think the way things are currently done, Varsity Reserve is just a nice term for JV.  There aren't any criteria forskill of wrestler such as being varsity caliber.
As far as rules, you can enter a Varsity Reserve team into a tournament, but its up to the tournament host whether or not they will accept a Varsity Reserve Team.  If a team wishes to enter wrestlers as varsity reserve, they must designate them as such and the tournament must know ahead of time that is what team you are sending.  The event must also be listed on your schedule as varsity reserve otherwise it would count against your limit of 7 varsity tournaments.  I doubt a tournament the caliber of Bi state would accept a varsity reserve team, but many smaller tournaments have them.  And they are able to count team points.

As far as Bi-State goes, I was just wondering if there was ever consideration to having 1-4 "extra" unattached/reserve enter an individual tournament.  I would guess Stratford could have added at least a few quality bodies to the bracket this year.