WWCA looking for head coaches' opinions

Started by CLC FAN, April 01, 2016, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLC FAN

I just got an e-mail from WWCA asking for coaches opinions on several topics including starting the HS season after Thanksgiving, seeding the individual state tournament, and reducing weight classes, among others.  Since these items frequently come up on the forum, I figured it would be good to have people ask their HS head coach if he got this email and if he responded to it.  For any of these items, this would be the first step towards change - if there is an overwhelming consensus, then the WWCA takes it to the WIAA to see where it goes from there.  Make sure your program is being represented.

If anybody hears back that their coach didn't get the e-mail, PM me with his name and e-mail address and I can forward it along.

woody53

Was there anything on Double Elimination at State for everyone?
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Ghetto

No

Number of weights
Seeding state
Allowing very small teams to practice with others
Starting after thanksgiving

I am interested to see how the votes go for allowing small teams to practice with others. It's a great idea. Allows teams to stay on their own but get in decent practices. Also interested in the weights vote.

Small teams unite! 😜
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Barou

Quote from: Ghetto on April 01, 2016, 08:50:23 AM
No

Number of weights
Seeding state
Allowing very small teams to practice with others
Starting after thanksgiving

I am interested to see how the votes go for allowing small teams to practice with others. It's a great idea. Allows teams to stay on their own but get in decent practices. Also interested in the weights vote.

Small teams unite! 😜

No JHI.  Breaks my heart!
JHI Mafia

CLC FAN

Barou - not to be cynical on my own post... but what would you rather have?

A) JHI not suggested to the coaches

B)  JHI suggested to the coaches, overwhelmingly supported, forwarded to the WIAA, and shot down in 2s

Coach Q

Deadline is Thursday at 5:00
Results of both state wide surveys from March and April will be on the WWCA website (wwca.org)
on Friday or Monday. Some very interesting results thus far and would like to get at least 50 more responses to get a large percentage survey.
As long as your voting in the presidential elections today get your coaching vote counted as well and reply to the survey.

Barou

Quote from: CLC FAN on April 01, 2016, 03:06:27 PM
Barou - not to be cynical on my own post... but what would you rather have?

A) JHI not suggested to the coaches

B)  JHI suggested to the coaches, overwhelmingly supported, forwarded to the WIAA, and shot down in 2s

Just saw this post.  So are you saying that the superior WIAA would not even entertain the idea of junior high inclusion?  They spent their time putting together that ridiculous sportsmanship memo and they can't listen to something actually reasonable and not utterly ridiculous?  That group must just sit together in a room and tell each other how great they are.....good grief.
JHI Mafia

bkraus

Quote from: futurerichguy on April 05, 2016, 12:23:44 PM
How can weight classes be reduced?  I thought there was a national standard.  Would Wisconsin be the only state with less than 14 weight classes?  That would be stupid.

Michigan still uses the old 13 weight classes.
Strive for Perfection

DocWrestling

Quote from: futurerichguy on April 05, 2016, 12:23:44 PM
How can weight classes be reduced?  I thought there was a national standard.  Would Wisconsin be the only state with less than 14 weight classes?  That would be stupid.

States can modify national rules in any fashion they want although it can be tough to get states to change.

Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

DocWrestling

For future possible questions.  Wondering what coaches would say.

1) Allow 6 matches in a day?  Would allow many more bracket options and in the end only a small percentage of kids would actually wrestle 6 matches
2) Reduce rest time to 30 minutes?

goldmedal

The question on having season starting after Thanksgiving I think would be a positive. I do believe a lot of programs would pick up a few more wrestlers if this was to happen and I'm sure this is why basketball is doing it. Lets face it wrestling season is a long grueling season thus shortening it up would be a positive not just to gain possibly more wrestlers but at same time keep kids motivated and maybe a little more hungry when the season starts.

gablesgrip1

Michigan still has 14 wt classes, just the original 14:  103,112,119,125,130,135,140,145,152,160,171,189,215,285

DocWrestling

Quote from: goldmedal on April 05, 2016, 03:22:39 PM
The question on having season starting after Thanksgiving I think would be a positive. I do believe a lot of programs would pick up a few more wrestlers if this was to happen and I'm sure this is why basketball is doing it. Lets face it wrestling season is a long grueling season thus shortening it up would be a positive not just to gain possibly more wrestlers but at same time keep kids motivated and maybe a little more hungry when the season starts.

I think you could also pick up more coaches.  But the truth is that a coach can start his season whenever he wants.  Every coach could start after Thanksgiving now if they wanted to wait but lots of pressure to follow the pack.

imnofish

Quote from: DocWrestling on April 05, 2016, 03:07:09 PM
For future possible questions.  Wondering what coaches would say.

1) Allow 6 matches in a day?  Would allow many more bracket options and in the end only a small percentage of kids would actually wrestle 6 matches
2) Reduce rest time to 30 minutes?

I could see allowing 6 matches, but I expect that you would see more formats emerge that increase the opportunities to wrestle 6.  Perhaps it would be best to only allow 6 in a qualifying tournament, which would allow more wrestleback matches.  If we are allowing kids to wrestle an additional match, they are going to need more rest time...   not less.  Keep the rest time at 45 min., for the health of the wrestlers.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Handles II

Being the "only one" shouldn't be a worry. Being proactive for improving the sport in our state should be a priority. Be a leader.

If the concern is about competitions vs other states, simple rule is, "when in Rome..." So if you head to Illinois use their weights, if they come here, use ours. Not all states went to 14 weights right away, and Michigan didn't change weight classes to the current ones, they are still using the weight classes from 2012. They are doing what they feel works best for them.

The WIAA and A.D.'s have no interest in JHI. It won't fly even if wrestling coaches wanted it. All sports would need to push for it, and that won't happen.