Barge fishing on the Mississippi

Started by Houndhead, March 09, 2016, 10:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndhead

bigG

There's a float on the Miss. Best Dam Float; but it costs like 15 beans to fish off it, so I've never tried.

Some of those barges are just huge. Where'd you hear about this, Hound?
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Houndhead

Quote from: bigG on March 10, 2016, 08:33:13 AM
There's a float on the Miss. Best Dam Float; but it costs like 15 beans to fish off it, so I've never tried.

Some of those barges are just huge. Where'd you hear about this, Hound?

I figured you would have some insight on this. My cousin was telling me about fishing on one a couple years ago. He did real good on perch.

http://www.almafishingfloat.com/

http://www.clementsfishing.com/

http://bestdamfishingfloat.com/

http://www.tremplofishing.com/

Tonto

There is another, Hubbards fishing float at the Lynxville Dam.
www.hubbardsfishingfloat.com
You raise a flag at the boat landing south of the dam for the shuttle boat to pick you up.

Clements, there is a flag by the dam to raise for the shuttle.  You can park in the lot off of Hwy 35 next to the dam.  You walk across the road, go down the steps, cross the tracks and raise the flag for the boat shuttle.

bigG

For Best Dam Float, there's a flag you raise at the Dresbach (MN side) launch. 15$; but I've heard you bring up some northern and the like. Generally, right off Dresbach dam, I nail some northern and the price is right.

imnofish

This looks like fun.  I'm thinking my 83 year old father would enjoy it.  Maybe we should plan a trip.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Houndhead

bigG

Not lately here. 10' above flood. I don't think they can operate the barges on days like that. Caught a few near the dam (Dres) Sunday. Nice grassy sandy spots down there where they like to hang at about 10-15. Boats are bringing 'em in, though.Crap, gotta get new licenses soon!

Nice size to 'em kept just a few; they were 12-14. Boy caught 3, one of 'em dang near had to have been 15. Good heaft, too.  Almost felt like Saugers; but they were real perch, not Saugs. That was just in an hour (short time, lately). Nice just to get down there. Hopefully the Onalaska spillway kills this year. Off the airport (French Island) I hear they're really dingin' perch. Still, she's high. A gazillion gallons (exactly) is flowing every second. Mucho move. That's why I went by the dam; like a little bay, there. Guys that were there most of the day seemed to have nice sized fish and generous takes. That's a good day. Ulcer medication, there.

Houndhead

Quote from: bigG on March 22, 2016, 09:07:22 PM
Not lately here. 10' above flood. I don't think they can operate the barges on days like that. Caught a few near the dam (Dres) Sunday. Nice grassy sandy spots down there where they like to hang at about 10-15. Boats are bringing 'em in, though.Crap, gotta get new licenses soon!

Nice size to 'em kept just a few; they were 12-14. Boy caught 3, one of 'em dang near had to have been 15. Good heaft, too.  Almost felt like Saugers; but they were real perch, not Saugs. That was just in an hour (short time, lately). Nice just to get down there. Hopefully the Onalaska spillway kills this year. Off the airport (French Island) I hear they're really dingin' perch. Still, she's high. A gazillion gallons (exactly) is flowing every second. Mucho move. That's why I went by the dam; like a little bay, there. Guys that were there most of the day seemed to have nice sized fish and generous takes. That's a good day. Ulcer medication, there.

I wish I was closer, I would love to join you sometime. I was still on the ice here Sunday. Fishing was great, the catching was pretty slow though. Might still be able to get out this weekend if the shoreline holds up.

bigG

Dang. You got guts. I saw some guys on Petenwell two weeks ago and thought they were nuts.

Sounds like a rip having to pay $15; but you're not putting a boat in the water for any less. When the water is below flood stage, it's a hoot.