D3 Semi Final 106 Pounds

Started by MarkK, February 26, 2016, 02:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkK

Tonight's D3 106 pound Semifinals should be an exciting and historic match. It features Stratford's female wrestler Macey Kilty (26-4) Vs. Zack Anglin (36-1) Junior from Bayfield/Washburn. Last year Anglin who was born with no arms or legs electrified the Kohl center as he showed grit and determination in a loss in last year's Semi-Finals. He eventually went on to place 6th. Kilty not only has a chance to make the finals as a Freshman, she has the opportunity as a female wrestler. Not since Alyssa Lampe of Tomahawk made it to the finals has it looked like a female wrestler might make the WIAA state finals. No matter the outcome it should be an exciting night!

Pictures now up on the Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/Wisconsin-Wrestling-Online-105439872928062/
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

MarkK

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

MarkK

I hope your feed will hold out.  The mat is surrounded by cameras right now

MarkK

2-1 end of first anglin leading   

anglin stats down  quick escape

MarkK

MarkK

near takedown to end the second anglin up 3-1

Kilty escapes 3-2

MarkK

MarkK

Kilty is bringing it but not awarded a takedown

MarkK

last second escape in first ot  Locked hands called 4-4 

one more go  who is up and down   Anglin chooses down

MarkK

Kilty wins.   What a great match

imnofish

Congrats to both wrestlers on their performances, under extreme pressure!  Also, kudos to the refs, who were obviously working hard to get it right.  There were unique challenges and pressures inherent in doing that, in this unique match up, and that should be appreciated. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

npope

I'm sure glad that I wasn't the refs on the mat - it was a tough one to call - espeically with everyone watching. Lot's of seemingly close calls. Among the other challenges, I thought calling locked hands appropriately on Kilty was a tough one. Technically, Aglin is never off his knees in a match, so when riding him, one can never lock hands (unless in a pinning combination). But when Anglin would straighten up (stand up?) and be attempting to use some body leverage to create some space, I think it would be instinctive for the the top wrestler (Kilty in this case) to simply lock hands around Anglin's torso to resist the leverage. It all happens in a split second on the mat. Kilty got called for it once and was about to get it again when the assistant ref called off the call.

What a unique match on so many levels. Congrats to all involved in doing the very best they could.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

thequad

Glad to hear praises for the referees, they deserve it, very tough match to referee. Good job guys!
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

woody53

Quote from: thequad on February 28, 2016, 12:36:56 PM
Glad to hear praises for the referees, they deserve it, very tough match to referee. Good job guys!
+1 Thanks Quad !
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Ghetto

That was a really tough task, to officiate that match. I was texting back and forth with a friend who is an official (yeah, I have those  ;D) and we were going back and forth on what is and is not locked hands on Anglin. So gray area. I thought when he was upright he's technically standing. Extremely tough call.

On a side note, who is the young, tall official? Never have seen him before. He must be from the Northwest side of the state. I thought he was outstanding. The semi with Folley from Tosa was an extremely difficult match to call, and I thought he nailed it.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove